2nd round steals

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2011 draft will yield some good players that will have teams second guessing why they passed on them in the 1st rd.

Ty Rattie is a guy that can score. Might be the steal of the draft.

Rocco Grimaldi is a guy that I had in the first rd that dropped due to his size. Think he is going to surprise some people.

Ryan Sproul, Xavier Ouellet. Detroit got a pair of very good D prospects.

Gibson, future #1 G

Jenner, solid #3C on a good team

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This is exactly why I have tempered my excitement for Robert Hagg. I'm thrilled that he fell to the Flyers, but I'm also terrified because he fell to the Flyers.

How many examples are there of name players who fell on draft day but developed into successful picks?

Anze Kopitar, Cam Fowler, maybe Seth Jones!

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Actually, we needed one pretty badly to have depth behind Price. We literally had no one before this season.

Lucky for us, the best goalie in the draft fell into our laps at #36. Thanks Calgary.:laugh:

Calgary has more than enough quality goaltending prospects.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Calgary has more than enough quality goaltending prospects.

I'll say. There are people in the Flames organization who believe Jon Gillies is the best prospect the Flames have. Better than Baertschi or Monahan. Add to that the two European pros they signed this year and I doubt they are hurting in the goaltender prospect department.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
People considering Erne a steal need to consider that Roy, his coach from the minors and a guy with a heavy influence on the draft decided to pass on him at #32. I'd hesitate to call him a steal for that reason alone. Maybe a decent value pick, but a steal? Too early for that.
That's a good point. Forgot Roy passed on Erne.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
You cannot determine a "steal" at this time and anyways this was such a deep draft 1st round material extended into the 2nd round. So I wouldn't mark it as a "steal" unless there was a considerable amount of questionable players picked that aren't 1st round material before the said "steal". I mean you can draft a really good, promising prospect in the 2nd round in this kind of draft and it isn't considered a steal. Every GM and scouting team have different opinions, one guy may be #25 on team A but number #40 on team B. I would kind of consider Shinkaruk a steal because he was projected to go top 10, top 15 by alot of scouts but he dropped to the 20's.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Rocco Grimaldi will be a huge steal for the Panthers. He was suppose to go early 20s and went 31st overall.

And Fucale for Montreal is gonna be their #1 in a few years.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Calgary panic'd at making the smart move, because they didn't account for anyone to fall that much so they stuck with plan A

Calgary didn't have a second round pick, genius. He's talking about how Montreal owned our second from the Cammalleri trade.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Calgary panic'd at making the smart move, because they didn't account for anyone to fall that much so they stuck with plan A

I was stunned that they did pass Fucale twice?... And ecstatic to see Mtl get him... They must have wanted Poirier pretty bad... But then... Why not trade down?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I was stunned that they did pass Fucale twice?... And ecstatic to see Mtl get him... They must have wanted Poirier pretty bad... But then... Why not trade down?

Rumors of Anahiem and the Canadiens were willing to take Poirier in the first so either the Flames took him at 22 or he would most likely have been gone. With Ortio, Brossoit, Gillies we have a pretty solid goaltending pool and with Berra and Ramo being given a shot either one could become a starter and give us years to find another goalie.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Rumors of Anahiem and the Canadiens were willing to take Poirier in the first so either the Flames took him at 22 or he would most likely have been gone. With Ortio, Brossoit, Gillies we have a pretty solid goaltending pool and with Berra and Ramo being given a shot either one could become a starter and give us years to find another goalie.

i dont doubt this, but I had never seen an anaheim rumor - care to share?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad