2nd round steals

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I would like to say Fucale, because he should be an elite goaltender. However, I think Price will be elite for 10 more years.

Which isn't a bad thing for Montreal to have 2 great goaltenders. But I think Fucale will be ready for number 1 duties in less than 5 years, his growth may be stunted because he wont be given the opportunity - starting in the AHL and/or riding shotgun with the best goalie in the league; can only develop you so much.

Reactions: Vikke

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Using a 2nd on a goalie isn't really a waste. Especially if you have multiple picks

As I said you can get a goalie outside the draft very easily, so i stick with that it is a waste of pick, espically as early as in the 2 round. If you want to gamble with a 7 round pick then maybe, but i think the best thing is to avoid goalies all togeheter in the draft. Unless we are talking about a very very special standout goalie, but those tends to go early in the first round. The reason why it is a waste of pick is because you basically have to strike gold with it, and he has to become one of the best goalies in the game, otherweize he basically has no value, and it is very unlikely you get that lucky, since goalies are very hard to predict. So better aim for a already semi-establish young goalie in NHL then.

Last edited:

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I have to fully disagree here.

^and i have to fully disagree here ! the Oilers are a good example of wasting mid to lower round picks on goalies that never made it, yet they kept doing it. why when it wasn't working would you keep doing it? because goalies are "voodoo"? i get it to a certain point but the Oilers finally grabbed a brain and quit doing what wasn't working with drafting goalies lower, and started drafting goalies a little higher. betcha one of Skinner or Rodrigue turns out to be a good NHL goalie ! cool note for Oiler fans....last successful NHL goalie they took was Dubnyk at #14 in the 1st round ! o_O

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
^and i have to fully disagree here ! the Oilers are a good example of wasting mid to lower round picks on goalies that never made it, yet they kept doing it. why when it wasn't working would you keep doing it? because goalies are "voodoo"? i get it to a certain point but the Oilers finally grabbed a brain and quit doing what wasn't working with drafting goalies lower, and started drafting goalies a little higher. betcha one of Skinner or Rodrigue turns out to be a good NHL goalie ! cool note for Oiler fans....last successful NHL goalie they took was Dubnyk at #14 in the 1st round ! o_O

I think the solution is to just stop drafting goalies.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I think the solution is to just stop drafting goalies.

i believe the Oilers even tried that too....they just felt that they could sign a good free agent goalie instead of drafting and developing one....and we ended up with Nikolai Khabibulin ! how well did that work out for the Oilers? :rolleyes:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
i believe the Oilers even tried that too....they just felt that they could sign a good free agent goalie instead of drafting and developing one....and we ended up with Nikolai Khabibulin ! how well did that work out for the Oilers? :rolleyes:

Look for a kid that has all the raw skill in the world, just needs to be honed. Then has the attitude required to be an elite netminder (Aka he is a workaholic.) you keep drafting those goalies, eventually you'll strike gold. It wasn't a coincidence that Vasi who was drafted in the 1st became an elite netminder, or Carey Price for the Habs. Even in the later rounds with Hendrik Lundqvist. Now for every one of those there are hundreds of kids that fall flat on their face. Hence why you need to find out if they are coach-able and they have they have an obsession almost to get to that level.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
^ya i never thought the Oilers Old Boys Club management that we had previous to Chia ever got that but i believe we do now and i'm willing to gamble that one of Skinner or Rodrigue will become a top notch NHL goalie.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Didn't fist bump for nothing.

I remember the morning after looking at my Cousin who is a diehard hockey fan in his own right and telling him. "We just drafted the best player in the second round." He immediately started to crack jokes and saying "IF that was the case he would of gone 1st overall, not in the second round. He will never be a top 6er etc etc." I still like to rub this one in. I just as well still stand by what I said that night as well. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->