Value of: 2C to Col.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That's some spot market

With the track record we have at this point we can actually say its unrealistic to propose ANY trade with EDM that doesn't involve them losing 2x over as long as PC is there. If Drai was moved for Barrie straight up it would be PC's most fair trade of the past what, 5 years?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd give up Kadri if the trade involved Makar or the Ottawa pick coming back, But Colorado is way better off keeping both of those and saving as much cap space as possible.

I don't think there's really a trade that makes sense for them right now. Keep building and don't rush things.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd give up Kadri if the trade involved Makar or the Ottawa pick coming back, But Colorado is way better off keeping both of those and saving as much cap space as possible.

I don't think there's really a trade that makes sense for them right now. Keep building and don't rush things.

Kadri ain’t worth a prospect like Makar or a possible top 5 pick. 1st++ would do it though.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
MacK’s prime, especially on that gift of a contract is the rush...at least when we have a great line around him, great goalie depth, a strong cadre of blueliners, a high end third line around Soda, and basically everything to contend for a cup except the 2nd that burns teams for giving the Bottle Kids the attention that they require.

The window could be open really soon, so why not start exploring our options to capitalize on it once it is? I don’t think Jost is the piece to move, his value probably isn’t there to be the centerpiece of a blockbuster...and I still really like him as a winger on that second line if we get a stud like Trochek or Drae to anchor it.

5 years is a long time, thats how many years we have left of mack’s contract and likely another 3 more years of prime. Even if we draft with Ottawa’s pick, if its high enough that player can contribute in a year or immediately if its kappo. we use the cap for other help in the mean time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
5 years is a long time, thats how many years we have left of mack’s contract and likely another 3 more years of prime. Even if we draft with Ottawa’s pick, if its high enough that player can contribute in a year or immediately if its kappo. we use the cap for other help in the mean time.

If the Ottawa pick lands us Hughes or a superstarlet that can be a difference maker as a sophomore, and provide a spark as a rookie, that'd be amazing even after MacK came off his dream-deal...but we'll only have 3 more seasons before MacK gets a 100%+ raise, at the end of that pick's rookie season.

Not to mention that between Ottawa refusing to roll over, and the lottery gods not being our best friends ever since they granted us MacK; I dunno how likely getting a top 3 pick from the Sens even is. I was skeptical of it last season, and the way they've started has only reinforced my doubts. Which is why the possibility of hitting the jackpot with that pick, wouldn't stop me from pulling the trigger if we could get a longterm solution that opened our window now.

Mind you I'm not saying we should rush into anything asap just because we could open our window this year with a Drai / Trochek / Zibby. Just that we should be saving up our assets to make that kind of blockbuster addition over the next year & a half, rather than dithering our surplus away on rentals that don't really move the needle like Hayes.

And given the way Joe does big trades, he needs to be having opening discussions now to get a blockbuster done before the 2019-2020 TDL :laugh:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Why what? Why would the Avs do it? Well, Greer & Ghetto while both solid in their own right will soon get lost in the shuffle amongst forwards with the arrivals of Bowers, Kaut and the OTT 1st. Carter is known for his scoring and we could use that type of offensive punch on the 2nd line. Will be a good stop-gap vet to have around on a nice contract, and can provide secondary scoring. Would become out 4th best forward instantly. With the amount of picks/prospects in the system and a contract limit of 50 a 2nd round pick is expendable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why what? Why would the Avs do it? Well, Greer & Ghetto while both solid in their own right will soon get lost in the shuffle amongst forwards with the arrivals of Bowers, Kaut and the OTT 1st. Carter is known for his scoring and we could use that type of offensive punch on the 2nd line. Will be a good stop-gap vet to have around on a nice contract, and can provide secondary scoring. Would become out 4th best forward instantly. With the amount of picks/prospects in the system and a contract limit of 50 a 2nd round pick is expendable.
Carter isn't a long term solution, and he doesn't move the needle enough to make us cup contenders this year. So why should we use any assets on him?

Kaut & that OTT pick could well be traded for an actual long-term solution to our 2nd line, unless we get really lucky with that OTT pick and FA. Or they could just take a long time to be ready for the NHL. While MacK is in his prime now and the team is poised to contend as soon as they have a high-end 2nd line.

If the young players do develop fast enough for us to solve that internally, and we do end up with more talent than contracts; then you start dumping players for futures to keep the pipeline flowing, at that time. There's no need to start whittling away at our reserves for rentals before that long-term anchor for that 2nd line is found.

We have an asset surplus, but it's not infinite and not every prospect/pick will work out.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I like the idea of Carter but that is a crap offer for L.A. Greer may not even make the NHL. Ghetto is good but he doesn't get you Carter. Our first plus a decent prospect is what it would take.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kevin Hayes will fit like a glove
Hayes for top 10 protected 1st+another decent piece?

Is Hayes anchoring a scoring line that can punish teams for the attention that our top line draws, enough to make anyone even consider diverting any attention from the bottle kids? Or a 2nd line that could be relied upon to score in the playoffs, when we run into teams that are good enough to contain the top line when they lock in on them?

Maybe I underestimate him and he'd become a regular 55+ point guy who could drive a 2nd line that was good enough to move the needle for us; but I'm skeptical. And if we're not getting a long-term solution to our hole, then why not just save up our assets for a move that would?

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
He will not only be good no matter who’s around him but will make the players he plays with better, he’s a gifted passer, very responsible in his own zone, solid on both pk and pp seriously would be a great add

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Is Hayes anchoring a scoring line that can punish teams for the attention that our top line draws, enough to make anyone even consider diverting any attention from the bottle kids? Or a 2nd line that could be relied upon to score in the playoffs, when we run into teams that are good enough to contain the top line when they lock in on them?

Maybe I underestimate him and he'd become a regular 55+ point guy who could drive a 2nd line that was good enough to move the needle for us; but I'm skeptical. And if we're not getting a long-term solution to our hole, then why not just save up our assets for a move that would?
Hayes is a good 2C and he’s been showing it since last years TDL
With more PP time Hayes can hit 50-55 points consistently while also shutting down the opposition, his defensive game is very good. Great puck protector and is pretty fast for his size as well. He needs to shoot more though, he’s got a great shot but doesn’t use it much, he’s more of a passer. Needs to be more physical as well. When Hayes is on, he’s pretty dominant

I think he’d be a perfect fit on the Avs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He will not only be good no matter who’s around him but will make the players he plays with better, he’s a gifted passer, very responsible in his own zone, solid on both pk and pp seriously would be a great add

Oh I know that he's a good player, but do you think he has the talent to be a consistent 55-60+ point producer as the best player on the 2nd line and probably with 2nd unit PP time?

From where I sit it makes no sense for the Avs to touch that asset surplus unless they're making a play for a Drai or Trochek type 1C to play behind the MacKinnon line and anchor a 2nd line that genuinely makes teams consider diverting some of their defensive focus away from the Bottle Kids.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hayes is a good 2C and he’s been showing it since last years TDL
With more PP time Hayes can hit 50-55 points consistently while also shutting down the opposition, his defensive game is very good. Great puck protector and is pretty fast for his size as well. He needs to shoot more though, he’s got a great shot but doesn’t use it much, he’s more of a passer. Needs to be more physical as well. When Hayes is on, he’s pretty dominant

I think he’d be a perfect fit on the Avs

Problem is that he's not exactly likely to get more PP time behind the Avs top line. I know the player and I know all of the good non-scoring things he does when he's playing well, but the avs need someone who can anchor a 2nd line that genuinely takes some heat off the top line. And Hayes just isn't that caliber, wouldn't you agree?

Granted he'd be a lot cheaper than the kind of blockbuster we need, but you do usually get what you pay for and in the avs situation it is well worth it to pay the price if they can get a true long-term solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad