Value of: 2C to Col.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Always thought Tyler Johnson would fit well in Colorado. Greer and a 2nd is about as much as I'd give right now, though. Jost still has a lot of the tools to become a 2C on this team. His skating ability and confidence are the only things that worry me.

Greer and a 2nd doesn’t even get a conversation started. I don’t see the Lightning and the Avs being good trading partners unless it’s futures for Miller - Colorado simply doesn’t have the right pieces to move for Johnson.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What I have gathered from this thread...

There is pretty much no good trade options right now, and it's on Ottawa to fill that need for us? I was actually hoping someone would throw down a name we hadn't thought of too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That’s what I made this for :laugh:

I know! I was really interested to see if anything came out of it. Zibby is interesting, but I didn't figure the price would be reasonable. I'm not really ok with a Hayes rental either.

Carter's contract is an absolute no go too.

I fully know the ROR ship sailed away, but I can't help but be jealous of the price they paid.

I'm not sure there is a long term solution available through trade unless something changes for a team between now and the TDL. Kadri and Zibby are the only two names that are interesting.

No one has that Stepan, Staz, ROR, player available right now.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know! I was really interested to see if anything came out of it. Zibby is interesting, but I didn't figure the price would be reasonable. I'm not really ok with a Hayes rental either.

Carter's contract is an absolute no go too.

I fully know the ROR ship sailed away, but I can't help but be jealous of the price they paid.

I'm not sure there is a long term solution available through trade unless something changes for a team between now and the TDL. Kadri and Zibby are the only two names that are interesting.

No one has that Stepan, Staz, ROR, player available right now.

My dream add would be Trochek. But no way that happens.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the Avs should go after a TDL C rental if they're still positioned the way they are. young 2C (so 50-55ish pts) as you're suggesting are guys like Schmaltz, RNH, Horvat, Zib etc. which I highly doubt are available from the opposing teams (maybe RNH, but it'll cost a valuable piece I would think)

Nah. The avs should save their ammo for a blockbuster that solves the situation long term.

What the team needs if they were to do anything, would be something like the Ottawa pick + Kaut or Kerfoot + Timmins, or Barrie + our pick + Andrighetto, for a young stud like Trochek or Draisaitl; should their teams end up in the tanking race once again this season.

Short of someone like that, who can anchor a line that punishes teams for the attention that the Bottle Kids require, it’s better to sit tight and wait for a trade like that to materialize...while taking our swing at an FA star like Stone, and hoping that the lotto gods grant us Hughes.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't get why so many Avs fans are so impatient when it comes to letting our youngster develop. Jost is still only 20. Kerfoot is still only a 2nd year player, as is Compher. MacKinnon just turned 23. Rantanen is 22. On top of that, Sakic keeps talking about how he wants the youngsters to step up and grow into roles. What's the rush?

MacK’s prime, especially on that gift of a contract is the rush...at least when we have a great line around him, great goalie depth, a strong cadre of blueliners, a high end third line around Soda, and basically everything to contend for a cup except the 2nd that burns teams for giving the Bottle Kids the attention that they require.

The window could be open really soon, so why not start exploring our options to capitalize on it once it is? I don’t think Jost is the piece to move, his value probably isn’t there to be the centerpiece of a blockbuster...and I still really like him as a winger on that second line if we get a stud like Trochek or Drae to anchor it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah even if they blow that up he won't be one of the players they sell off.

It’ll all be ok when Edmonton finally gives up Drae for Barrie, Sven and a top 10 (but not top 4) pick from Ottawa at the draft.

After blueball’ing me as fiercely as they did with Radu, it’s the least the hockey gods can do.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Nah. The avs should save their ammo for a blockbuster that solves the situation long term.

What the team needs if they were to do anything, would be something like the Ottawa pick + Kaut or Kerfoot + Timmins, or Barrie + our pick + Andrighetto, for a young stud like Trochek or Draisaitl; should their teams end up in the tanking race once again this season.

Short of someone like that, who can anchor a line that punishes teams for the attention that the Bottle Kids require, it’s better to sit tight and wait for a trade like that to materialize...while taking our swing at an FA star like Stone, and hoping that the lotto gods grant us Hughes.
OR you have that long term solution in the OTT pick potentially... trade lesser pieces to get a serviceable 2C for the POs/rental+1. Keep the OTT pick to draft one of Hughes/Cozens/Kakko/Dach to develop. Rental+1 (Avs have sufficient cap room next year, even after paying Rants) would be optimal as it will allow the newly drafted C a year to develop.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
OR you have that long term solution in the OTT pick potentially... trade lesser pieces to get a serviceable 2C for the POs/rental+1. Keep the OTT pick to draft one of Hughes/Cozens/Kakko/Dach to develop. Rental+1 (Avs have sufficient cap room next year, even after paying Rants) would be optimal as it will allow the newly drafted C a year to develop.

How long until that kid is ready to anchor the second line of a cup contender? We waited 5 years for MacK to arrive, are we going to wait another 5 if the OTT pick isn’t amazing out of the gates?

And if we are going to solve it with that pick, then why give up any of our picks for a stop gap that doesn’t really move the needle? If that happens we should keep our picks to continue loading longterm high upside projects into the pipeline while trading back for future backs to ensure we can keep the pipeline flowing even after MacK comes off his steal of a contract.

That’s why I don’t get the point of making a move that isn’t a long term solution. I see the merits of waiting, and the merits of trying to find a longterm solution. But not of half adding it with a stop gap, as our currently surplus of picks & prospects is not infinite.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It’ll all be ok when Edmonton finally gives up Drae for Barrie, Sven and a top 10 (but not top 4) pick from Ottawa at the draft.

After blueball’ing me as fiercely as they did with Radu, it’s the least the hockey gods can do.

With how Drai has been him straight up for Barrie just so Edm can get away from that cap could be a possibility. Keep in mind this is PC, he's not going to pull off a better deal than that.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Given the current standings, which can easily change these would be my top 5 picks:

Kevin Hayes
Frans Nielsen - Limited NTC
Brock Nelson
Matt Duchene - :laugh:
Eric Staal - Modified NTC

I doubt Minnesota even if they were out of the picture would trade Staal to a division rival, and I doubt Ottawa would trade with Colorado after the original Duchene deal. I think there will be limited 2C options come trade deadline for sure. Not a lot of UFA power coming up, and the guys that could be moved aren't the high end 2C's. Serviceable, and very underrated like Nielsen but not the piece I think Colorado needs.

As funny as it would be could you imagine the Oceans 11 level of thievery it would be if Duchene resigned in Colorado this offseason in order to win a cup? I'm not sure its too realistic but man would I eat that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->