Value of: 2C to Col.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
So Avs want a <26 year old 2nd line center scoring around 60 points but their 5 most valuable pieces are untouchable?
Tolvanen/Fabbro weren’t on the table for Turris (Girard looks amazing now but at the time his value was lower), Ottawa didn’t want to give White/Brown/Chabot for Duchene (again the 1st looks really good now but it wasn’t thought of as a really good asset at the time), St Louis didn’t want to give Kyrou/Thomas for ROR, Tampa didn’t want to give Sergachev/Foote for McDonagh, San Jose didn’t want to give Meier/Hertl for Karlsson, Buffalo didn’t want to give up a good prospect for Skinner, St Louis again didn’t want to give up a good prospect for Schenn. The league has been changing the last couple of years where A level prospects and picks have not been on the table seemingly no matter who the player is.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
By adding another good C to this team we have a good shot at becoming a legit contender here in the next couple seasons. I mean I’m not saying just give away every prospect to improve the at all costs, but you have to see what’s out here. We have something special with this top line and it’d be horrible to waste it.

The trick is to spend smartly - and ideally on someone who's not a rental.

Reactions: hooverdam

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So Avs want a <26 year old 2nd line center scoring around 60 points but their 5 most valuable pieces are untouchable?
Well a 2nd line centre is not worth Landeskog, Rantanen, MacKinnon, Makar, or EJ Johnson. And a package deal for one of those players doesn't make too much sense either on the Avs side of the spectrum. So, you're just baseless complaining considering that Jost, Varlamov, Barrie, Meloche, Timmins, Ottawa's 1st, Avs 1st, and everything else is still available.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
By adding another good C to this team we have a good shot at becoming a legit contender here in the next couple seasons. I mean I’m not saying just give away every prospect to improve the at all costs, but you have to see what’s out here. We have something special with this top line and it’d be horrible to waste it.

I agree that having a better 2nd line will make us a legit contender. I just don't agree that we need to look outside the system to find our 2C. Anyone who might be available that is definitely an improvement over our current youngsters is going to be prohibitively expensive, and might very well still get surpassed at 2C if Jost/Compher/Kerfoot/Kamanev/Hughes* reach their ceilings.

Reactions: Bender

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It’s not even close. In the extremely unlikely event that we were to trade him we’d be looking for a right-handed 2/3D on a good deal who can replace Stralman. We aren’t trading him for magic beans that if we’re lucky might turn into a lower line player three or four years from now. We’ll trade Miller for a first, not Johnson.
I would trade Johnson before Miller. Johnson is a discount Gourde/Point stylistically, Miller brings a different element to the team. And btw if we trade Johnson for a pick it would be easy to flip the pick for a RHD.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I agree that having a better 2nd line will make us a legit contender. I just don't agree that we need to look outside the system to find our 2C. Anyone who might be available that is definitely an improvement over our current youngsters is going to be prohibitively expensive, and might very well still get surpassed at 2C if Jost/Compher/Kerfoot/Kamanev/Hughes* reach their ceilings.

Dont forget bowers.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

You can’t just throw Hughes in there. Obviously if we get Hughes than our 2C issue is settled long term. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. If we can get a good C for a 1st and prospect or something in that range we should seriously consider it.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey

Yep. No rentals... no overpayments... we're not in the middle of an emergency. Let the kids duke it out. I'm of the opinion that lots of Avs fans are being way too impatient with Jost, anyway.

And also yeah please stop penciling in Hughes. :/

Reactions: Bender

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Ryan strome for Tyson barrie?

giphy.gif

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You can’t just throw Hughes in there. Obviously if we get Hughes than our 2C issue is settled long term. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. If we can get a good C for a 1st and prospect or something in that range we should seriously consider it.

My point is that we already have 4 or 5 really good young forwards and 2 picks in the first round of this coming draft that could plausibly solve our problem at 2C in the next year or two. Even if we don't end up with Hughes, there are a handful of other good young Cs in the top 10-15 draft prospects. There's really no reason to overpay for the kind of C that we'd want.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yep. No rentals... no overpayments... we're not in the middle of an emergency. Let the kids duke it out. I'm of the opinion that lots of Avs fans are being way too impatient with Jost, anyway.

And also yeah please stop penciling in Hughes. :/

After all the hype around the Sens 1st being a guaranteed 1OA this summer, I couldn't help myself. Realistically, I'm hoping we end up somewhere in the top 10 with that Sens pick. I'd be happy if we could get a Cozens/Dach/Lavoie type guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad