Post-Game Talk: ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
The talent part we agree. Being very young is where we part ways. No more excuses. I'm tired of hearing how great the top 4 are. How great Dubas is. All of that might be true. But no more excuses. Last nights loss sucked, no question. Great teams learn from things like this. Time will tell what this team is. I'm not buying youth as a excuse anymore. The team or the front office. Win or break them up.
Just FYI- reread some of the previous pages. Another poster and I were discussing ottawa's talent and inexperience, not the leafs.

But yes, the leafs have enough experience where its not an excuse anymore.

But yes,

Reactions: TakeTheBody

genk

Nov 15, 2015
I had a totally normal reaction to the game yesterday by unfollowing every hockey person on twitter and deleting all of my hockey tweets. This team is driving me to the brink of insanity.

Reactions: dirty stanchion

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I had a totally normal reaction to the game yesterday by unfollowing every hockey person on twitter and deleting all of my hockey tweets. This team is driving me to the brink of insanity.
I saw a good tweet yesterday. The Leafs are going to cause me to quit hockey in 4-5 years. It just will happen.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No, you’re minimizing the problem.

The leafs don’t just blow a lead in a game 7. No, they have the WORSE game 7 collapse spanning all nhl world history. ONLY the leafs.

ONLY the leafs lose when half the game is against their own Zamboni driver.

And yesterday... it’s not just “teams blow big leads all the time...”, no... this was the FIRSST place team in the league blowing a 5-1 lead to the LAST place team and was the biggest come back in that teams FRANCHISE HISTORY.

I’m not superstitious.... but I’m really starting to believe that this is a cursed franchise.

Its a numbers game. If everyone hates the Leafs; and Leafs nation cannot outnumber the hate then the scale is in the haters' favaor

We just need more people in the Leafs nation to balance the equation ;)

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The Sens were something like 0-135-2 in games where they were down by 4. Leave it to the Leafs to end all streaks.
Now can we please end our streak it's been 17 years without a series win and 54 without a cup

Brian Evinou

Feb 9, 2021
IMG_20210216_090513_336.jpg

Reactions: Marshy and Zybalto

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Sometimes you just need a save, other times you need your coach to call a timeout. Isn't the first time a team, good or bad, played crap hockey but the goalie is considered the last line of defense for a reason. This is a Senators team that was 24th in the league in scoring last season.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
So not to beat a dead horse but one final thought. The game is over and done...time to move on. But...was this worse than the Zamboni game? I vote no. The circumstances of that game and the uniqueness of the situation make it stand out. This was just a loss...a bad one, to be sure...but in the course of a season, collapses happen. There's a few stinkers like this every few years. Every team can point to a humiliating loss at one time or another. Remember when the Raptors beat Jordan's Bulls during their 70+ win season? I can remember quite a few years ago the Leafs did almost the same thing as last night. I'm sure it was against the old Jets. They were up 3 or 4 goals in the third and lost like 6-5 or something. I can't remember exactly. But that's my point. It happened (at least I'm pretty sure it did) and now I can barely remember it. This too, will fade. So trolls...go back under your bridges. Nothing more to see here.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So not to beat a dead horse but one final thought. The game is over and done...time to move on. But...was this worse than the Zamboni game? I vote no. The circumstances of that game and the uniqueness of the situation make it stand out. This was just a loss...a bad one, to be sure...but in the course of a season, collapses happen. There's a few stinkers like this every few years. Every team can point to a humiliating loss at one time or another. Remember when the Raptors beat Jordan's Bulls during their 70+ win season? I can remember quite a few years ago the Leafs did almost the same thing as last night. I'm sure it was against the old Jets. They were up 3 or 4 goals in the third and lost like 6-5 or something. I can't remember exactly. But that's my point. It happened (at least I'm pretty sure it did) and now I can barely remember it. This too, will fade. So trolls...go back under your bridges. Nothing more to see here.

Last year the Bruins were up 4-0 in the third and lost to the Panthers. Remember that game?....no one else does either.

Its part of being in the center of the hockey universe that every bad thing must be amplified.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Is this worse than the zamboni game? Possibly. At least with that game the Leafs were up against a good team with a nightmarish goaltending situation. This game they were playing one of the worst teams in the league with one of the worst goalies out there.

Can go either way. This loss was so historic it has stats that will linger for a long time.

Good to know the Leafs can be counted on humiliating themselves in incredible ways almost yearly. This is exactly the kind of game that reminds you that they aren’t contenders yet and are the underdog in any playoff matchup we get this season.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Is this worse than the zamboni game? Possibly. At least with that game the Leafs were up against a good team with a nightmarish goaltending situation. This game they were playing one of the worst teams in the league with one of the worst goalies out there.

Can go either way. This loss was so historic it has stats that will linger for a long time.

Good to know the Leafs can be counted on humiliating themselves in incredible ways almost yearly. This is exactly the kind of game that reminds you that they aren’t contenders yet and are the underdog in any playoff matchup we get this season.

I wasnt humiliated by either situation really but thats just me I guess.

The first was a goalie we didnt even test in the third as we had an injury riddled team dead tired at the end of a stretch of games against a good team and last night we outplayed a team up 5-2 and they outscored us 3-0 on lucky breaks and better goaltending. I would actually be humiliated if the Sens were somehow better than us but they weren't. The MUCH better team lost last night and I accept these things happen.

You'll see 3 or 4 more of these situations this year with little or no fanfare from anyone really unless its the Leafs....then our own fanbase will come out of the woodwork to attack their own team.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Morgan Rielly is the most overrated Leaf player in the last 20 years and I don't think it's remotely close. Hf Leafs thinks the dude is Norris caliber.

I don’t think anyone has said that since his 72 point season (where there was an argument for it)

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I wasnt humiliated by either situation really but thats just me I guess.

The first was a goalie we didnt even test in the third as we had an injury riddled team dead tired at the end of a stretch of games against a good team and last night we outplayed a team up 5-2 and they outscored us 3-0 on lucky breaks and better goaltending. I would actually be humiliated if the Sens were somehow better than us but they weren't. The MUCH better team lost last night and I accept these things happen.

You'll see 3 or 4 more of these situations this year with little or no fanfare from anyone really unless its the Leafs....then our own fanbase will come out of the woodwork to attack their own team.

if you weren't humiliated by the zomboni driver beating us, you are definitely the perfect leaf fan.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Last year the Bruins were up 4-0 in the third and lost to the Panthers. Remember that game?....no one else does either.

Its part of being in the center of the hockey universe that every bad thing must be amplified.

As a person who needed FLA1 to go off to win money, that was a pretty crazy night.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

Florida was a middling team, not the worst in the league. That changes things.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
if you weren't humiliated by the zomboni driver beating us, you are definitely the perfect leaf fan.

If he actually had a hand in beating us, I would feel worse. Its more a fun story more than anything but those tired hurting Leafs looked like crap that night and wernt going to beat an OHL team.

A couple days rest and the Leafs broke Tampas 12 game home winning streak and followed it up with with a solid win over Florida giving them a nice cushion for a 3rd in the division.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I find it hard to see the connection that the leafs deserved to lose a game because some Calgary fan made a thread

sorry, I actually read the thread (and when I say sorry, I mean sorry that I actually read it....but I did). Lots of gold from leafs fans. We get played because someone makes a post, then dozens of ridiculous leafs posts follow.

It's cute, because as I read through them I think "gee, why don't the rest of the fanbases take Leafs fans seriously".

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Florida was a middling team, not the worst in the league. That changes things.

I've liked what I've seen from Ottawa this year outside of their goaltending. They are gonna be players in a couple of years and should have a few more wins if Murray had worked out better so far. Florida wasnt a great team last year. They look better so far this year though. It didnt really bother the Bruins like this shouldnt really bother us even though they got outplayed in the third period of their game and we didnt. My main point is that these things happen to good teams and Boston was the best regular season team in hockey last year and it happened to them even worse than us in a smaller time frame while getting the worst of the play. Does that change things too?

A day later and no one even talked about it.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
We're one of the best ES teams in the league this month and the whole "weak division" thing is BS and always was. I've been giving Ottawa props for a while for their solid play this season as their goaltending and scoring finish gas let them down. They are gonna be a real deal team in not too long and would be more than a couple points higher if they had a Helle or Markstrom in net.

It feels rough now, yea, but that wasn't one of Ottawas better games this year. They got the bounces and won though as its a bit of Karma for them.

Leafs will bounce back next game. Just play the same game and don't get loose goosey if your up a few goals.

I'm not saying the North is a "weak" division. But it's widely accepted and totally noticeable when watching games that the Leafs are head and shoulders above any team in the east when it comes to over all skill. That includes Edmonton. My point was more an indictment of their play over the last 2-3 weeks than the debacle yesterday night. They're effort level is slowly slipping each and every game. Mental lapses compounding needs to be addressed ASAP. When they get to the playoffs, teams like TB , BOS, WAS et all will not let one mental lapse turn into 5 or 6. They come back harder and harder. There's a sense of urgency in their games that the Leafs need to find. So the way I see it, if they get bounced in the 1st round the way they have in the last couple of years, there needs to be a change to this core. What ever that is, I don't know, but I would expect Dubas to be active in redirecting this team.

I fully expect they will bounce back next game, it's what they do in the following 10 games I'm interested in seeing. But they need a gut check.

For the record, I love your optimism! Forgive me if recent history has jaded my outlook somewhat :) And you are right, I should have a more positive outlook.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
We're one of the best ES teams in the league this month and the whole "weak division" thing is BS and always was. I've been giving Ottawa props for a while for their solid play this season as their goaltending and scoring finish gas let them down. They are gonna be a real deal team in not too long and would be more than a couple points higher if they had a Helle or Markstrom in net.

It feels rough now, yea, but that wasn't one of Ottawas better games this year. They got the bounces and won though as its a bit of Karma for them.

Leafs will bounce back next game. Just play the same game and don't get loose goosey if your up a few goals.

I'm not saying the North is a "weak" division. But it's widely accepted and totally noticeable when watching games that the Leafs are head and shoulders above any team in the east when it comes to over all skill. That includes Edmonton. My point was more an indictment of their play over the last 2-3 weeks than the debacle yesterday night. They're effort level is slowly slipping each and every game. Mental lapses compounding needs to be addressed ASAP. When they get to the playoffs, teams like TB , BOS, WAS et all will not let one mental lapse turn into 5 or 6. They come back harder and harder. There's a sense of urgency in their games that the Leafs need to find. So the way I see it, if they get bounced in the 1st round the way they have in the last couple of years, there needs to be a change to this core. What ever that is, I don't know, but I would expect Dubas to be active in redirecting this team.

I fully expect they will bounce back next game, it's what they do in the following 10 games I'm interested in seeing. But they need a gut check.

For the record, I love your optimism! Forgive me if recent history has jaded my outlook somewhat :) I should have a more positive outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA