Post-Game Talk: ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The Bruins don't have a history of blowing big leads though, the Leafs do.
Lmao, what? Boston had one of the biggest blown series leads in NHL playoff history, and they literally lost a cup in the final 1:16 of a SCF game by blowing a lead.

Reactions: Jojalu

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Lmao, what? Boston had one of the biggest blown series leads in NHL playoff history, and they literally lost a cup in 17 seconds with a blown lead at the end of a SCF game.

Well hey atleast they got a cup in the past decade to fall back on, we can always think about that time the Leafs won a playoff round....in 2004.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Zamboni wasn't a collapse, Carolina was already handing it to us all night. we never led that game.
We shut out the Pens 4-0 the game before the Canes game.

We were in the middle of the worst string on injuries in years and battled through them to beat some really good teams down the stretch including Tampa twice and the Stars. Even with that bad stretch, Toronto sits with the 5th best record in the league since Keefe took over. This team is going to be really good for a long time and there are going to be good playoff runs.
I don't disagree with the bolded (I think we have a run in us this year), but until they have the great runs the embarrassing moments will live on and be things people think about with the leafs. Decent playoff success lowers the significance of the embarrassing moments.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
But that's completely shifting the goalposts from what you were talking about.

It's tied into it, Boston can get away with blown leads, which is what I should've originally typed, because they have actually won something post Vietnam War.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yup....thats about how long it lasted.

I'm guessing their own fanbase doesnt run their own team down with it though.

Always see those crazy Jets fans crying about an accountant who beat their team right?
Wel, it wasn’t the JETS own accountant that defeated them. And they were already down by 4. And it wasn’t even a full period.

Amd if it was a middling team like Edmonton or Calgary, yesterday wouldn’t be as big of a deal here either. Probably a one page 8k upvote situation as well.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Last night, Zamboni game, the general zero give a shit meter throughout last year (e.g. losing to Pittsburgh like 5-0 two games before the zamboni driver), game 7 2013 (not this core but the franchise), 9-2 to Nashville a while back

Collapsing might not be the best term, I'd say embarrassing fits better. While those franchises have had embarrassing moments they have overcome them with success. We have not. It's time for us to do so, otherwise people can keep laughing and call us the same old Leafs

You need to go back to every NHL season and see for yourself that this happens every year to almost every team.

Tampa got the doors blown off more than once last year. St Louis did the year before.

I don't understand why people jump to the conclusion it has to do with the team not caring. It is the most ridiculous arguement.

There is no team in history that has gone unbeaten, and who havn't had multiple games that they were not at their best.

These are not excuses, it is just how sports work. It is the same in all sport at every level. No one would have the passion for the game if rhere wasn't the drama of upsets, incredible comebacks, and feel good underdog stories

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Wel, it wasn’t the JETS own accountant that defeated them. And they were already down by 4. And it wasn’t even a full period.

Amd if it was a middling team like Edmonton or Calgary, yesterday wouldn’t be as big of a deal here either. Probably a one page 8k upvote situation as well.

:laugh:

Cant argue with that one.

All good man.

When it comes down to it, I cant wait until we have the massive wins and collapses like the Bruins have. Our team is really good too. Hope we win a series this year, just hopefully not blow it to the Habs or something.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I don't disagree with the bolded (I think we have a run in us this year), but until they have the great runs the embarrassing moments will live on and be things people think about with the leafs. Decent playoff success lowers the significance of the embarrassing moments.

Yea, a cup would make all the difference and this is the best Leafs team since the last time a Leafs team went to the Semis so I'm just hoping the stars align.

Reactions: leafsfan5

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
You need to go back to every NHL season and see for yourself that this happens every year to almost every team.

Tampa got the doors blown off more than once last year. St Louis did the year before.

I don't understand why people jump to the conclusion it has to do with the team not caring. It is the most ridiculous arguement.

There is no team in history that has gone unbeaten, and who havn't had multiple games that they were not at their best.

These are not excuses, it is just how sports work. It is the same in all sport at every level. No one would have the passion for the game if rhere wasn't the drama of upsets, incredible comebacks, and feel good underdog stories
Not everyone blows a 5-1 lead to the worst team in hockey and loses to a zamboni driver, there's levels to this lol.

The leafs are set to a high standard. Tampa/St.Louis can have those games but have had playoff success to minimize the significance of them. The leafs have not so they are the joke everyone uses. It's that simple lol. It was the same with Washington, they had the choker label for all the blown opportunities (e.g. Montreal in 2010, up 3-1 on NYR in 2015) until they won in 2018. Now we never hear about it with them.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Yea, a cup would make all the difference and this is the best Leafs team since the last time a Leafs team went to the Semis so I'm just hoping the stars align.
Yup, it's our best shot in a while. Not having to go through Boston/Tampa is a nice advantage as well.

Anything can happen if we make the final 4, just have to get there

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Its hard to measure effort I guess but heres 5v5 xGF% and 5v5 goal differential this month (roughly last 2-3 weeks) in the NHL:

February Leafs ranking:

Points%: .750 4-1-1 (Tied with Tampa bay)
5v5 Expected goals% in February so far: 2nd in the NHL
5v5 Goal differential in February so far: 1st in the NHL

I mean, if this is a bad stretch, they are gonna set the league on fire when they got hot right? In both of their losses, they were the better team too.

Advanced stats just show they're better skilled than their opponents. They have the most points in the NHL right now, so yes, they will have good advanced stats. I'm referring to their effort level tailing off. Something you can only quantify through watching their games. In the post game interview, Keefe, alluded to the fact their bad habits have been creeping into their game for a while now. If your coach is stating as much, maybe there's something to address.

0:38 he discusses how the team's sloppy play has been creeping into their game. He also states prior to that the team was up 5-1 and he saw issues with their game. That says a lot.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Not everyone blows a 5-1 lead to the worst team in hockey and loses to a zamboni driver, there's levels to this lol.

The leafs are set to a high standard. Tampa/St.Louis can have those games but have had playoff success to minimize the significance of them. The leafs have not so they are the joke everyone uses. It's that simple lol. It was the same with Washington, they had the choker label for all the blown opportunities (e.g. Montreal in 2010, up 3-1 on NYR in 2015) until they won in 2018. Now we never hear about it with them.

I agree the Leafs are like the sad suck Cubs.

Having the longest drought in the NHL certainly makes every glaring failure magnified.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Advanced stats just show they're better skilled than their opponents. They have the most points in the NHL right now, so yes, they will have good advanced stats. I'm referring to their effort level tailing off. Something you can only quantify through watching their games. In the post game interview, Keefe, alluded to the fact their bad habits have been creeping into their game for a while now. If your coach is stating as much, maybe there's something to address.

0:38 he discusses how the team's sloppy play has been creeping into their game. He also states prior to that the team was up 5-1 and he saw issues with their game. That says a lot.

I saw the issues too as did most of us. Its why they had a much better third than a second but set themselves up for the bad luck that can occur in any period of hockey. Its why the advanced stats showed them in the end of having their 5th best game of the year despite the score.

Again, I would be more disappointed if they didnt respond well to the awful play in the 2nd and I thought they responded fine. There were reasons why they lost but it wasnt their effort level. Winning the shot battle, having more scoring chances and looking the better team is most important. Watching Soup tear their PK apart and watching the Leafs play keep away to the point Ottawa completely abandoned the last 30 seconds of their powerplay was impressive. The Leafs really had a decent period overall really but Ottawas keeper had a great period (havnt been able to say that often this year) and they got 3 goals on three lucky breaks.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I saw the issues too as did most of us. Its why they had a much better third than a second but set themselves up for the bad luck that can occur in any period of hockey. Its why the advanced stats showed them in the end of having their 5th best game of the year despite the score.

Again, I would be more disappointed if they didnt respond well to the awful play in the 2nd and I thought they responded fine. There were reasons why they lost but it wasnt their effort level. Winning the shot battle, having more scoring chances and looking the better team is most important. Watching Soup tear their PK apart and watching the Leafs play keep away to the point Ottawa completely abandoned the last 30 seconds of their powerplay was impressive. The Leafs really had a decent period overall really but Ottawas keeper had a great period (havnt been able to say that often this year) and they got 3 goals on three lucky breaks.

I really hope you're right and they wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad