Post-Game Talk: ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Rielly cracks me up. He has such tunnel vision. All he had to do was pass it to an open matthews for a one timer open net goal. Give him a a hattrick and win the game.

Instead he shoots into a crowd of players and then causes a break away because he is inept defensively

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yes games like last night happen to every team (but not top flight Cup teams?????) ... leaky Freddy did it to us again ... OMG he has ZERO ability to withstand ANY pressure at all ... which is why we lost 2 games to both Habs and Sens at home ... that was 3 points in da bag and we got 1 point ... yes he does have some decent games but he has far too many games where he just does not have it in him ... like I said we got Team Denmark here .. Habs have Team Canada, Jets have Team USA and Flames have Team Sweden ... all starting goalies and all 3 playoff teams we are gonna face .. it becomes a serious issue in playoffs where he is 0-8 when it truly counts ... this year Soup will take over our net so I am not too worried ... Soup has enough in him to take us to semis ... I don't think he will get us past semis but all we need is a guy with decent skills who does not melt under pressure like Freddy ... Freddy played in Denmark where he was best hockey player there and he never experienced pressure daily like our kids do here in GTHL/OHL ... he was playing with house leaguers and never developed da mind set of making saves and getting wins as he grew up ... he was just da big kid who was better than everyone else

Reactions: weems

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'm just finding it hard to truly believe in this team. Especially when I don't believe in Dubas.

Its up to him and the team to make you (and the rest of us) believers.

This is actually the first Dubas year as its his team, his coach and his complete vision right from the start. Lets see how it goes, especially when playoff time hits.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
At the end of the day it cost us 1 point to an irrelevant team. Not the end of the world.
You are absolutely right.

However, Freddie's inconsistency is rearing it's ugly head again. This won't be acceptable come playoff time.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
This is the second game in a row Ottawa did something special. They beat the jets with 8 seconds on the clock. So when do teams start talking them serious. They aren’t overly talented, everyone knows that. They’re the hardest working team in the zNorth division game in and game out. Freddy has no luck against them ha and the skaters let off.
Quarter point of the season, this game means squat but f*** that was annoying. Do the same thing again but play to their work ethic for 60 minutes and we will be fine next one.
Marlies won last night too in their season opener 3-2 against the moose. Robertson had a assist.
I beg to differ. They actually have a lot of talent. The problem is that they are very young and inexperienced. Once they get some experience under their belt, I guarantee they won't be bottom feeders anymore.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The two who needed Hyman on their line. It’s like the O-dog said on Overdrive, they should be able to drive the line and get points.
I’m starting to fear that Tavares may be starting to decline quicker than everyone thought he would. If so, this team is in even bigger trouble than before.
I don't think he has started to decline yet. He is was he has always been: a slow skater and poor passer (I counted four totally 'what the f@#&?' passes last night) who has a real knack for scoring, especially on the PP.

On the whole, I think he's one of those players who's stats look a lot better than his game.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
They dont.

Being a hardcore fan means you remember when it happens to you though. Boston game 7 has left some deep scars though and this was a good one.

Like I showed earlier, these kind lost leads have actually happened less to the Leafs than most other teams the last few years. No sense in losing your mind over it.
No, you’re minimizing the problem.

The leafs don’t just blow a lead in a game 7. No, they have the WORSE game 7 collapse spanning all nhl world history. ONLY the leafs.

ONLY the leafs lose when half the game is against their own Zamboni driver.

And yesterday... it’s not just “teams blow big leads all the time...”, no... this was the FIRSST place team in the league blowing a 5-1 lead to the LAST place team and was the biggest come back in that teams FRANCHISE HISTORY.

I’m not superstitious.... but I’m really starting to believe that this is a cursed franchise.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We always seem to suffer at least one monumental humiliating loss every season.

Hopefully, we got that out of the way last night.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Its up to him and the team to make you (and the rest of us) believers.

This is actually the first Dubas year as its his team, his coach and his complete vision right from the start. Lets see how it goes, especially when playoff time hits.
It's true that timing is everything. In my opinion, we have made the playoffs three out of the last 4 years, as I am counting this past year as not having made the playoffs. Even though this is his first season of it being his team I feel that it will be successful only if we make it at least to the Stanley Cup semifinals. So I would say that the pressure is truly on Dubas.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
How many years have we been saying this?
It's about time this team became dominant in stringing together some winning streaks.
Are we the only team that RARELY plays one entire game where we're dominant?
If I recall, after the Habs loss on Saturday, we hadn't lost in regulation in the previous 10 games. Seems like a decent streak to me.

Don't get me wrong, they should have won last night. Just take the point, forget about it, move on and win in Wednesday night.

Reactions: howlman

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don't think he has started to decline yet. He is was he has always been: a slow skater and poor passer (I counted four totally 'what the f@#&?' passes last night) who has a real knack for scoring, especially on the PP.

On the whole, I think he's one of those players who's stats look a lot better than his game.
It's just alarming to see him play this way especially after last season. Fingers crossed that he's not on the decline.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yes games like last night happen to every team (but not top flight Cup teams?????) ... leaky Freddy did it to us again ... OMG he has ZERO ability to withstand ANY pressure at all ... which is why we lost 2 games to both Habs and Sens at home ... that was 3 points in da bag and we got 1 point ... yes he does have some decent games but he has far too many games where he just does not have it in him ... like I said we got Team Denmark here .. Habs have Team Canada, Jets have Team USA and Flames have Team Sweden ... all starting goalies and all 3 playoff teams we are gonna face .. it becomes a serious issue in playoffs where he is 0-8 when it truly counts ... this year Soup will take over our net so I am not too worried ... Soup has enough in him to take us to semis ... I don't think he will get us past semis but all we need is a guy with decent skills who does not melt under pressure like Freddy ... Freddy played in Denmark where he was best hockey player there and he never experienced pressure daily like our kids do here in GTHL/OHL ... he was playing with house leaguers and never developed da mind set of making saves and getting wins as he grew up ... he was just da big kid who was better than everyone else

You should check out last years Bostons up 4-0 in the third period collapse loss to the Panthers.

So far this year, the leading team for losing games they had leads in has been the Jackets who have lost 8 games they have been leading, followed by Washington and Detroit at 6. The Leafs have lost 3 games they have been leading at any point in the game.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
If I recall, after the Habs loss on Saturday, we hadn't lost in regulation in the previous 10 games. Seems like a decent streak to me.

Don't get me wrong, they should have won last night. Just take the point, forget about it, move on and win in Wednesday night.
But what I'm saying is, is it possible for us to win a game where we play a complete 60 minute 200 foot game? Maybe I'm asking for too much.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I beg to differ. They actually have a lot of talent. The problem is that they are very young and inexperienced. Once they get some experience under their belt, I guarantee they won't be bottom feeders anymore.
Overly talented meant in terms of overall play. They aren’t talented in terms of play. They do have a lot of talent.

Reactions: Carltons Cup

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Bad calls have been turning points all year. Very much on purpose to try to keep games interesting.

Just took a quick look on reddit for the highlight and didn't see it yet
I thought the turning point was JT's bad play on the goal at the end of the second.

Killing off the (valid) penalty to Hyman should have been a turning point in our favour.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's true that timing is everything. In my opinion, we have made the playoffs three out of the last 4 years, as I am counting this past year as not having made the playoffs. Even though this is his first season of it being his team I feel that it will be successful only if we make it at least to the Stanley Cup semifinals. So I would say that the pressure is truly on Dubas.

You should count it as having made the playoffs as they were in, yknow, playoff position when the season stopped (despite the awful position the team was in before the coaching change) and were trending in the right direction with big character wins against Tampa (twice), Dallas and Florida, all without half their Dcore. Sure they had some disappointments too but, when healthy, the Leafs are a top 3 team in hockey since Keefe came on.

If you want to talk teams that wouldnt have even made the playoffs last year, teams like the Blackhawks, Habs and Islanders come to mind....and yet they made some noise right?

Just gotta make the show in the best position possible and the Leafs are doing that very well right now. After a decade of real misery, I'm enjoying the ride.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
But what I'm saying is, is it possible for us to win a game where we play a complete 60 minute 200 foot game? Maybe I'm asking for too much.
We're dealing with professional athletes who have a lot of pride and a team is going to push back when they're down (for the most part) So completing dominating a team isn't as easy as it sounds (unless playing NHL 21).

We have one of the best records in the league. I'm sure other teams close to us haven't been dominating other teams game in and game out.

I do agree though that it would be nice to see everyone firing on all cylinders - including Freddy. That might be too much to ask.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
ONLY the leafs lose when half the game is against their own Zamboni driver.
Actually a very similar thing happened in a Chicago vs Winnipeg game a few years back. You just didn't hear much about it because there wasn't the toxic Toronto media to blow it way out of proportions. Quit being a victim to the media hysteria.

Reactions: smitty10

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
After sleeping on it;

- The Leafs were the better team last night.
- However, the Sens still battled hard. They deserved a point.
- Tavares and Nylander had a poor game, even with Hyman on their wing being his usual self. Might be time to shuffle up the middle 6 a little bit, and see what we can get going.
- Letting in 6 goals on an expected ~2.5 goals is really really poor. You look at the chart and Hogberg saved far more high danger chances than Freddy did. It's a common theme that is becoming apparent, for whatever reason.
- Looking at the numbers, especially in the third, this wasn't a case of the Leafs hanging Freddy out to dry. This was One goalie stopping pucks, versus another who didn't.
- @Paris in Flames and I had a debate of whether the shot in Overtime by Rielly was a poor choice, or just a choice that ended poorly. I still lean towards you need to pass the puck to Matthews, as he was clearly wide open, but that shot by Rielly has as good of a chance to go in, as it did getting blocked, and turning into a subsequent breakaway.
- Watching that OT goal again, you could tell Freddy Andersen had no confidence. Dude backed all the way into his net. He needs to stand strong there, but didn't.

All that being said, this game wasn't entirely on Freddy. Would be unfair to blame him completely.

However, it's a worrying trend that is going to reach a breaking point soon.

Of goalies who have had at least 150 FA against them, Freddy is outside the top 30 in Sv%, GSAA, GSAx, and is barely inside the top 30 in dFSv%. When you adjust for score and venue, he's 39th in GSAA (goals saved above average) out of 51 goalies. Just behind Jonathan Bernier and Casey DeSmith, and just ahead of Thatcher Demko, Ville Husso and Braden Holtby.

There are a couple really good starts sprinkled in. But we are starting to reach a sample size you can draw some conclusions on, and so far, Freddy has been pretty poor.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Freddy has won for us in pressure situations this year. This kind of stuff is overblown. He was off last night early. I watch him out of position early a few times and guessing wrong ha. He was crouching and making himself small. He had a terrible game. Are you forgetting all the 1 goal games he won us so far. I’m not. That was a game he will want to forget. Shutout coming from Freddy next one :)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Third period:

Corsi: 19-18 Leafs
Shots: 12-10 Leafs
Scoring Chances: 11-9 Leafs

....and thats with the Sens getting that bizarre 4 min powerplay when Chabot kneed Hyman and Hyman clipped him in the face trying to avoid it.

Looks like the harder working and more talented team lost last night. Thats going to happen sometimes although the sheer amount of bounces the Sens got was comical.
The reffing in general was a complete joke.

Don't forget about Tavares being blatantly tripped/interfered with in the last 5 mins too that got completely ignored.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Should Chabot not have gotten a kneeing penalty there as well?
Possibly, but the four for Hyman was clearcut and not debatable. My point was that we did a great job on the PK, and should have had all the momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad