Post-Game Talk: ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Freddy has won for us in pressure situations this year. This kind of stuff is overblown. He was off last night early. I watch him out of position early a few times and guessing wrong ha. He was crouching and making himself small. He had a terrible game. Are you forgetting all the 1 goal games he won us so far. I’m not. That was a game he will want to forget. Shutout coming from Freddy next one :)
He is a loser when it counts and will be nothing more ... in my world I don't rest my faith in losers .. his technique and size is why he even made NHL ... but you need some athletic skill to move and make $$$ saves when it counts ... but like I said we will still make it to semis with Soup ... Freddy will be riding pine on bench and he will be there in case of injury

Reactions: rdogg

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Should Chabot not have gotten a kneeing penalty there as well?

Yup... Thought that penalty was on Ottawa initially.

Somehow, despite the Leafs controlling most of the game Ottawa got more PP's in the game.

Despite being first in the division, the Leafs are last in the division in PP opportunities. See below, the number in the bracket reflects the overall league ranking:

(1) Vancouver - 69
(2) Ottawa - 64
(3) Edmonton - 59
(4) Calgary - 59
(14) Montreal - 48
(16) Winnipeg - 47
(18) Toronto - 46

I mean the fact that Ottawa and Vancouver rank first, by and large, despite being awful defensive teams and getting beat up this year is a huge red flag that game management by the league is in effect and it's actually a joke.

The Leafs haven't had more than 2 PP chances in a game since the 5-1 beating of Vancouver.

Oh and the Leafs are #18 but only two teams below them (Columbus and Anaheim) have played the same number of games or more. The remaining teams have played 2 to 7 games less than the Leafs.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The reffing in general was a complete joke.

Don't forget about Tavares being blatantly tripped/interfered with in the last 5 mins too that got completely ignored.

I know....and the announcers then have to be relative about everything and say "both teams have something to complain about"......after they ignore Chabot's knee on Hyman.

With the Leafs now not having the crazy PP rating, how are they doing for for PP share in the league?

43.69% share of PP time = 2nd worst in the league.....on the team with fewest hits/60 and good possession wise.

I see it as a reason to be proud of the team at this point. Overcoming the short end of officiating and still being tied with Tampa for points% is pretty sick.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He is a loser when it counts and will be nothing more ... in my world I don't rest my faith in losers .. his technique and size is why he even made NHL ... but you need some athletic skill to move and make $$$ saves when it counts ... but like I said we will still make it to semis with Soup ... Freddy will be riding pine on bench and he will be there in case of injury
You can’t say that and be right.His record says thats wrong in one goal games this year. He’s been holding us in there with a elite sv% many many games.

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
Yup... Thought that penalty was on Ottawa initially.

Somehow, despite the Leafs controlling most of the game Ottawa got more PP's in the game.

Despite being first in the division, the Leafs are last in the division in PP opportunities. See below, the number in the bracket reflects the overall league ranking:

(1) Vancouver - 69
(2) Ottawa - 64
(3) Edmonton - 59
(4) Calgary - 59
(14) Montreal - 48
(16) Winnipeg - 47
(18) Toronto - 46

I mean the fact that Ottawa and Vancouver rank first, by and large, despite being awful defensive teams and getting beat up this year is a huge red flag that game management by the league is in effect and it's actually a joke.

The Leafs haven't had more than 2 PP chances in a game since the 5-1 beating of Vancouver.

Oh and the Leafs are #18 but only two teams below them (Columbus and Anaheim) have played the same number of games or more. The remaining teams have played 2 to 7 games less than the Leafs.

it would be interesting to see how many times shorthanded we were

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know....and the announcers then have to be relative about everything and say "both teams have something to complain about"......after they ignore Chabot's knee on Hyman.

With the Leafs now not having the crazy PP rating, how are they doing for for PP share in the league?

43.69% share of PP time = 2nd worst in the league.....on the team with fewest hits/60 and good possession wise.

I see it as a reason to be proud of the team at this point. Overcoming the short end of officiating and still being tied with Tampa for points% is pretty sick.

That and it was the same story as the Montreal game too.

The Leafs utterly dominate through 40 minutes with the opposing teams committing penalties all over the place to save their lives and almost all of them go uncalled in the name of "game management" to try and keep the team getting dominated in the game. There's never been a year where I've been so consistently annoyed by the officiating, it's been so bad it's made some games flat out unwatchable (IE the Edmonton game).

Reactions: MattySnipes

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You can’t say that and be right.His record says thats wrong in one goal games this year. He’s been holding us in there with a elite sv% many many games.
Our defense is so much more improved this year is why we are winning close games ... he has played very very well in 1 game ... 1 game so far this year ... 1 game ... that's it ... and even in that game we were da better team anywho ... he has not WON us a SINGLE game where he carried team on his back ... not 1 single game ... to me that is a loser

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
it would be interesting to see how many times shorthanded we were

In similar fashion, here's how it ranks for PP opportunities for the opposition in the division with the number in brackets being the league wide rank:

(1) Vancouver - 77
(3) Montreal - 60
(5) Ottawa - 57
(6) Toronto - 55
(8) Calgary - 53
(11) Edmonton - 51
(27) Winnipeg - 39

Reactions: yort2010

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Not going to get too worried about one game. We played well for 40 minutes. Senators battled hard the whole game and won.

We'll blame the goalie, the refs, etc. like we always do.

Excluding the refs part, some of is justified. But, the other thing is we have about $18 million per year of contracts committed to 2 players on the 2nd line. That's a good chunk of money for players that are not consistent with producing good results. Its hard to build depth that is needed when money is spent like this.

Oh well, we need to just move on.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Actually a very similar thing happened in a Chicago vs Winnipeg game a few years back. You just didn't hear much about it because there wasn't the toxic Toronto media to blow it way out of proportions. Quit being a victim to the media hysteria.
Nice try, but there are KEY differences that make it far less embarrassing.

1. It was less time (14 minutes of game time vs 22).
2. It was CHICAGO'S emergency goalie in net for CHICAGO
3. The Hawks had a 4 goal lead and only had to weather the storm for 14 minutes with THEIR OWN emergency goalie.

And I notice you had nothing for the other 2 examples.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Nice try, but there are KEY differences that make it far less embarrassing.

1. It was less time (14 minutes of game time vs 22).
2. It was CHICAGO'S emergency goalie in net for CHICAGO
3. The Hawks had a 4 goal lead and only had to weather the storm for 14 minutes with THEIR OWN emergency goalie.

And I notice you had nothing for the other 2 examples.

Complete spin on your part.

The Leafs only even had two quality shots on net (and scored on both) and it was Carolina that did a great job in the third to limit the Leafs (and were the better team most of the game as well). The Canes "Zamboni" backup didnt make a quality stop in net in the third because he didnt have to. I think Hyman had an OK chance he put into the guys crest.

Chicagos keeper actually made some great saves in the game and was an actual star in third for his team. The tired injury riddled Leafs (last game of a 7 in 12 stretch) looked lifeless from the start of that game and couldnt muster much against a rested Canes team most of the night.

You can go watch the highlights of the Chicago game and the cheers of the crowd as the emergency backup made great saves. There are no highlights of the Zamboni drivers game though....he really didn't have any. You dont think him stopping a high quality chance from a Leafs wouldnt be a meme around here? Instead it just "Ha, Zomboni" talk.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

The Leafs only even had two quality shots on net (and scored on both) and it was Carolina that did a great job in the third to limit the Leafs (and were the better team most of the game as well). The Canes "Zamboni" backup didnt make a quality stop in net in the third because he didnt have to. I think Hyman had an OK chance he put into the guys crest.

Chicagos keeper actually made some great saves in the game and was an actual star in third for his team. The tired injury riddled Leafs (last game of a 7 in 12 stretch) looked lifeless from the start of that game and couldnt muster much against a rested Canes team most of the night.

You can go watch the highlights of the Chicago game and the cheers of the crowd as the emergency backup made great saves. There are no highlights of the Zamboni drivers game though....he really didn't have any. You dont think him stopping a high quality chance from a Leafs wouldnt be a meme around here? Instead it just "Ha, Zomboni" talk.
"It's not embarrassing. The leafs just sucked SO MUCH that they could barely even get a shot on net in the entire third period."

lol, how the HELL is that less embarrassing?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
"It's not embarrassing. The leafs just sucked SO MUCH that they could barely even get a shot on net in the entire third period."

lol, how the HELL is that less embarrassing?

Its embarrassing in a different way I suppose but no different than any other tired team putting up a bad third at the end of a long stretch would look. Thats what I mean. Any goalie in hockey would have probably won that game. Its a fun story but maybe if you or me were in net, we might have let a couple of those listless shots in....and then the Leafs got a couple of days rest and took out Tampa and Florida in the biggest games of the year with half a dcore.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Of course there would have been. I don't know how Leafs fans who've been around for awhile still fall victim to the hysteria from the media.

Same thing about when the Sharks trailed 3-0 vs VGK in game 7 in the 3rd period and won the game. Very similar situation that just lacked the media hysteria.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
6' 4", plays like he's 5' 4"

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
This team is embarrassing but that just comes with watching the Toronto Maple leafs, the highs are average at best (won't ever make it to SC Finals) and the lows really suck, like this core lost to a zamboni driver and now lost a game when they were up 5-1 to Ottawa. LMAO its just funny at this point, yet some leafs fans are willing to waste first round picks plus top prospects including Amirov, Robertson ,Liljegren for another forward, because the leafs are one piece away from winning the SC, this team is not even SC contender, shit contenders can make it past the first round this core hasn't done that.

Enjoy the ride, don't too expect too much from the Toronto Maples leafs, cuz they will disappoint you even this year when only facing 6 other teams, honestly it wouldn't shock me if the leafs lose in the first round again this year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Our defense is so much more improved this year is why we are winning close games ... he has played very very well in 1 game ... 1 game so far this year ... 1 game ... that's it ... and even in that game we were da better team anywho ... he has not WON us a SINGLE game where he carried team on his back ... not 1 single game ... to me that is a loser
You eyes are losing man :) 6 goals on 31 shots last night was brutal

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Rielly is trash. I don't care what anyone says.

Rielly so bad. That whole last sequence was just horrible.

Andersen can’t save anything that’s even remotely difficult.

Vesey just bad at everything.

Morgan Rielly is the most overrated Leaf player in the last 20 years and I don't think it's remotely close. Hf Leafs thinks the dude is Norris caliber.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
After sleeping on it;

- The Leafs were the better team last night.
- However, the Sens still battled hard. They deserved a point.
- Tavares and Nylander had a poor game, even with Hyman on their wing being his usual self. Might be time to shuffle up the middle 6 a little bit, and see what we can get going.
- Letting in 6 goals on an expected ~2.5 goals is really really poor. You look at the chart and Hogberg saved far more high danger chances than Freddy did. It's a common theme that is becoming apparent, for whatever reason.
- Looking at the numbers, especially in the third, this wasn't a case of the Leafs hanging Freddy out to dry. This was One goalie stopping pucks, versus another who didn't.
- @Paris in Flames and I had a debate of whether the shot in Overtime by Rielly was a poor choice, or just a choice that ended poorly. I still lean towards you need to pass the puck to Matthews, as he was clearly wide open, but that shot by Rielly has as good of a chance to go in, as it did getting blocked, and turning into a subsequent breakaway.
- Watching that OT goal again, you could tell Freddy Andersen had no confidence. Dude backed all the way into his net. He needs to stand strong there, but didn't.

All that being said, this game wasn't entirely on Freddy. Would be unfair to blame him completely.

However, it's a worrying trend that is going to reach a breaking point soon.

Of goalies who have had at least 150 FA against them, Freddy is outside the top 30 in Sv%, GSAA, GSAx, and is barely inside the top 30 in dFSv%. When you adjust for score and venue, he's 39th in GSAA (goals saved above average) out of 51 goalies. Just behind Jonathan Bernier and Casey DeSmith, and just ahead of Thatcher Demko, Ville Husso and Braden Holtby.

There are a couple really good starts sprinkled in. But we are starting to reach a sample size you can draw some conclusions on, and so far, Freddy has been pretty poor.
Leafs need to have another goalie play a significant amount of time so we know if it is a problem with the goalie resulting in thse numbers or if it is system related.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I beg to differ. They actually have a lot of talent. The problem is that they are very young and inexperienced. Once they get some experience under their belt, I guarantee they won't be bottom feeders anymore.

The talent part we agree. Being very young is where we part ways. No more excuses. I'm tired of hearing how great the top 4 are. How great Dubas is. All of that might be true. But no more excuses. Last nights loss sucked, no question. Great teams learn from things like this. Time will tell what this team is. I'm not buying youth as a excuse anymore. The team or the front office. Win or break them up.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I will say this. The good thing about a callapse is you see the users who you didn't see until now, and you can clsssify them as non Leafs fans.
Ignore list filling time.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I wonder if Andersen has ever heard the phrase "Make your self look big" that last breakaway he just gave him so much net to shoot at, it's not like he went bar down or has a Matthews type release.

I've given him the benefit of the doubt a lot this year, breakaways are tough but for a veteran I expect better. The backhand should have been saved imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad