Post-Game Talk: ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I hate it when the leafs lose after being up 5-1. This will be a bitter loss until they win again.
Neutral fan here with the opinion their bitterness better last well beyond the next win. It’s something they should use to drive them every time they lack sufficient motivation for the rest of the season.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
I've liked what I've seen from Ottawa this year outside of their goaltending. They are gonna be players in a couple of years and should have a few more wins if Murray had worked out better so far. Florida wasnt a great team last year. They look better so far this year though. It didnt really bother the Bruins like this shouldnt really bother us even though they got outplayed in the third period of their game and we didnt. My main point is that these things happen to good teams and Boston was the best regular season team in hockey last year and it happened to them even worse than us in a smaller time frame while getting the worst of the play. Does that change things too?

A day later and no one even talked about it.

The Bruins don't have a history of blowing big leads though, the Leafs do.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
sorry, I actually read the thread (and when I say sorry, I mean sorry that I actually read it....but I did). Lots of gold from leafs fans. We get played because someone makes a post, then dozens of ridiculous leafs posts follow.

It's cute, because as I read through them I think "gee, why don't the rest of the fanbases take Leafs fans seriously".
Not quite sure what's more pathetic. Those Leafs fans or Leafs fans who only show up on an internet forum when the team loses to patronize the Leafs fans who cheer for the team to win, after the team loses of course.

I mean the latter group looks awfully pathetic to me.. wonder which group you fit into.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
im just gonna pretend this game didnt happen and it was all a dream...

...a little tough with the main board though

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Bruins don't have a history of blowing big leads though, the Leafs do.

They actually have just as big or bigger a history. Its why Bruins fans didnt rub 2013 game 7 in as much as they could have? Its because they blew a 3-0 series lead and up 3-0 in game 4 series in 2010.

Last year they were only one of 2 teams to blow 3 3+ goal leads to lose games and blew 16 leads to lose games all together. The Leafs blew 1 3+ goals lead and 9 all together.

Its really pure media driven phantasy at this point. This biggest blown lead in modern playoff history? Last years Jackets to...thats right the Leafs.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
They actually have just as big or bigger a history. Its why Bruins fans didnt rub 2013 game 7 in as much as they could have? Its because they blew a 3-0 series lead and up 3-0 in game 4 series in 2010.

Last year they were only one of 2 teams to blow 3 3+ goal leads to lose games and blew 16 leads to lose games all together. The Leafs blew 1 3+ goals lead and 9 all together.

Its really pure media driven phantasy at this point. This biggest blown lead in modern playoff history? Last years Jackets to...thats right the Leafs.

People forget about their blown leads because they were in the SCF a couple of years ago and they can atleast make the second round, the Leafs havent won a playoff round in 17 years. This is why people are losing their sh*t, between last night and the Zamboni game...this franchise is the joke of the league.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'm not saying the North is a "weak" division. But it's widely accepted and totally noticeable when watching games that the Leafs are head and shoulders above any team in the east when it comes to over all skill. That includes Edmonton. My point was more an indictment of their play over the last 2-3 weeks than the debacle yesterday night. They're effort level is slowly slipping each and every game. Mental lapses compounding needs to be addressed ASAP. When they get to the playoffs, teams like TB , BOS, WAS et all will not let one mental lapse turn into 5 or 6. They come back harder and harder. There's a sense of urgency in their games that the Leafs need to find. So the way I see it, if they get bounced in the 1st round the way they have in the last couple of years, there needs to be a change to this core. What ever that is, I don't know, but I would expect Dubas to be active in redirecting this team.

I fully expect they will bounce back next game, it's what they do in the following 10 games I'm interested in seeing. But they need a gut check.

For the record, I love your optimism! Forgive me if recent history has jaded my outlook somewhat :) I should have a more positive outlook.

Its hard to measure effort I guess but heres 5v5 xGF% and 5v5 goal differential this month (roughly last 2-3 weeks) in the NHL:

February Leafs ranking:

Points%: .750 4-1-1 (Tied with Tampa bay)
5v5 Expected goals% in February so far: 2nd in the NHL
5v5 Goal differential in February so far: 1st in the NHL

I mean, if this is a bad stretch, they are gonna set the league on fire when they got hot right? In both of their losses, they were the better team too.

Reactions: Jojalu

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

The difference is it doesn't follow those teams.
Boston after blowing the 3-0 series lead won the cup the following year
CBJ blew their 3-0 lead and won the next game to close the series out
Boston had those huge collapses last year but won the presidents and only lost to the cup champs without their 1G

We just have collapse after collapse with no success. That's why it follows us.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Boston had those huge collapses last year but won the presidents and only lost to the cup champs without their 1G

I can't believe he brought up the Columbus Blue Jackets, the team that eliminated the Leafs.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
People forget about their blown leads because they were in the SCF a couple of years ago and they can atleast make the second round, the Leafs havent won a playoff round in 17 years. This is why people are losing their sh*t, between last night and the Zamboni game...this franchise is the joke of the league.

Playoff rounds are still a pivot point here. It has nothing to do with blown leads and anyone saying they blow a lot of leads is just plain wrong. Its not true. Its inaccurate. Its a fallacy. (sorry gotta go Monty Python there but I hate when collective delusion gets this bad).

and.......I mean Scott Foster is an accountant. An accountant who helped Chicago win a game. No one even remembers who he played......it was they Jets and not a soul goes after the Jets team or fans for getting beat by "an accountant" because its childish nonsense as is the whole "Zamboni" stuff. The people who use the "Zamboni" thing as an attack are as insecure as the Leafs fans that hold on to it like it means something bad. Its such baseless nonsense it hurts your arguments to even use it.

The truth is both are good fun stories of two everyguys who got to play in the show.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Which collapse?

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Playoff rounds are still a pivot point here. It has nothing to do with blown leads and anyone saying they blow a lot of leads is just plain wrong. Its not true. Its inaccurate. Its a fallacy. (sorry gotta go Monty Python there but I hate when collective delusion gets this bad).

and.......I mean Scott Foster is an accountant. An accountant who helped Chicago win a game. No one even remembers who he played......it was they Jets and not a soul goes after the Jets team or fans for getting beat by "an accountant" because its childish nonsense as is the whole "Zamboni" stuff. The people who use the "Zamboni" thing as an attack are as insecure as the Leafs fans that hold on to it like it means something bad. Its such baseless nonsense it hurts your arguments to even use it.

The truth is both are good fun stories of two everyguys who got to play in the show.

Keep making excuses for the team.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I can't believe he brought up the Columbus Blue Jackets, the team that eliminated the Leafs.

Whats wrong with that? Greatest one game playoff collapse I can remember. Arnt we talking collapses?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Which collapse?
Last night, Zamboni game, the general zero give a shit meter throughout last year (e.g. losing to Pittsburgh like 5-0 two games before the zamboni driver), game 7 2013 (not this core but the franchise), 9-2 to Nashville a while back

Collapsing might not be the best term, I'd say embarrassing fits better. While those franchises have had embarrassing moments they have overcome them with success. We have not. It's time for us to do so, otherwise people can keep laughing and call us the same old Leafs

Reactions: Plat87

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Last night, Zamboni game, the general zero give a shit meter throughout last year (e.g. losing to Pittsburgh like 5-0 two games before the zamboni driver), game 7 2013 (not this core but the franchise), 9-2 to Nashville a while back

Collapsing might not be the best term, I'd say embarrassing fits better. While those franchises have had embarrassing moments they have overcome them with success. We have not. It's time for us to do so, otherwise people can keep laughing and call us the same old Leafs

Game 7 2018 too, that third period was embarassing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Has it really follpwed this incsrnsrion of the Leafs though?

Theyve had some bad games for.sure, that are better off not remembering but theres no real pattern to speak of

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I've liked what I've seen from Ottawa this year outside of their goaltending. They are gonna be players in a couple of years and should have a few more wins if Murray had worked out better so far. Florida wasnt a great team last year. They look better so far this year though. It didnt really bother the Bruins like this shouldnt really bother us even though they got outplayed in the third period of their game and we didnt. My main point is that these things happen to good teams and Boston was the best regular season team in hockey last year and it happened to them even worse than us in a smaller time frame while getting the worst of the play. Does that change things too?

A day later and no one even talked about it.
If it was the last place team in the league, it would have been a much bigger story.

And it still WAS a big story btw. Was the top post in r/hockey for a day with 8k upvotes.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Zamboni wasn't a collapse, Carolina was already handing it to us all night. we never led that game.
We shut out the Pens 4-0 the game before the Canes game.

We were in the middle of the worst string on injuries in years and battled through them to beat some really good teams down the stretch including Tampa twice and the Stars. Even with that bad stretch, Toronto sits with the 5th best record in the league since Keefe took over. This team is going to be really good for a long time and there are going to be good playoff runs.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The leafs dominated the first 2 periods.

It was 5-1 and we were all over them, especially the first 10 minutes, we showed our power and dominated them completely.

It was one really bad play by Tavares that made it 5-2. I've been frustrated with Tavares (more the Tavares contract/expectation I had for him) but even I can say that type of play is not something Tavares does very often.

One of their goals was right after a 4 minute power play.

Their other goal was a flukey goal that was batted in mid air that Andersen had no chance on.

I'm not making any excuses but Ottawa coming back to win was as flukey as an NBA team making a half court shot at the buzzer.

That's no excuse to lose and we have to be better (yes we were complete garaged in the 3rd) but i'm betting that it was an outlier and we're all traumatized/over reacting (and rightfully so) because of prior years.

They're going to rebound and come back to the systems they have put in place to play good defence all year long.

Sometimes we mirror the other team's play and don't take weaker team's seriously and yes that's a problem but what matters at the end of the day is being a complete team in time for the playoffs and that starts tomorrow night. We're still first in the NHL and came away with a very good lesson.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Has it really follpwed this incsrnsrion of the Leafs though?

Theyve had some bad games for.sure, that are better off not remembering but theres no real pattern to speak of

This version hasn't won a playoff round either thats one pattern.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If it was the last place team in the league, it would have been a much bigger story.

And it still WAS a big story btw. Was the top post in r/hockey for a day with 8k upvotes.

Yup....thats about how long it lasted.

I'm guessing their own fanbase doesnt run their own team down with it though.

Always see those crazy Jets fans crying about an accountant who beat their team right?

Reactions: Dekes For Days
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA