Confirmed Signing with Link: 26 players have filed for Salary Arbitration *Updated with Arbitration schedule *

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Anyone hear Burke say that arbitrators still get 60% of their fee when teams and players settle before the hearing?

Anyone else want to go back and be a hockey arbitration lawyer or is that just me?

Reactions: SI90

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Ho-Sang is still holding out for his big pay day.

Preview of the confrontation between the Islanders and Ho-Sang in front of the moderator.

Sl53H7.gif

EDIT:

They settled.

tenor.gif

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Anyone hear Burke say that arbitrators still get 60% of their fee when teams and players settle before the hearing?

Anyone else want to go back and be a hockey arbitration lawyer or is that just me?

The fact that you think this is a sweet deal for the arbiter tells me you've had the good fortune to not deal with many lawyers. Good for you.

Reactions: BringTheReign

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
But the arbiter cannot award you term.

correct, the options are clearly documented and known before-hand, as mutually negotiated by NHL and PA
Arb contracts for RFAs will be 1 year or 2 only.
No one is getting screwed.
If term is priority, you get that deal negotiated ahead of the hearing.

Reactions: SotasicA

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
correct, the options are clearly documented and known before-hand, as mutually negotiated by NHL and PA
Arb contracts for RFAs will be 1 year or 2 only.
No one is getting screwed.
If term is priority, you get that deal negotiated ahead of the hearing.
But that just does not jive with posters here talking about the reason it's going to arbitration is because the two sides can't agree on term.

If term is the problem, opting for arbitration is folly. Thus, term was never the issue in this particular case. The two sides don't agree on money, Q.E.D.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
As per the CBA, the arbiter has 48 hours from the closing of the hearing.

Sometimes they come the evening of, but it's not uncommon we do wait two days. Don't know what time in the day Bert's hearing was, or how long it was, when it ended, but with today being two days after the hearing, the decision should be made some time today.

DET then has another 48 hours to decide to match or walk if the settlement is above the threshold to walk.

The 48 hours is a soft deadline. It's been common in the past for the arbitrator to take more then 48 hours.

Reactions: uncleben

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The $3.15m from Detroit makes me wonder if they're using Max Domi as their comparable. Looking for comparable players with 15-25 goals and 40+ points the past four seasons who signed at age 23-26, contract of 1-3 years yields notables:

Max Domi $3.15m, Mark Stone $3.5m, Ondrej Palat $3.33m, Tyler Johnson $3.33m, Jason Zucker $2m, Tyler Toffoli $4.6m, Cam Atkinson $3.5m. (note: didn't verify every player produced these numbers prior to the contract)

Looking at their contracts and numbers I'm inclined to think Bertuzzi outproduced Domi in the seasons leading up to their comparable contracts, but I don't see a clear comparable to merit the $4.25m ask. My instinct would be an arbitration award a little higher then Domi. Maybe something in the ~$3.5m range.

The only forward I see who signed a RFA deal at $4.25m cap is Victor Arvidsson. That would be an interesting comparable, but it seems so difficult to use a 7 year contract as comparable for a 1 year arbitration award.

And $3.5m it is. I had a feeling he wasn't going to get much more because I was having a hard time finding higher comparable contracts to base an argument on.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
But that just does not jive with posters here talking about the reason it's going to arbitration is because the two sides can't agree on term.

If term is the problem, opting for arbitration is folly. Thus, term was never the issue in this particular case. The two sides don't agree on money, Q.E.D.
Negotiations can be whatever the parties want. For arbitration eligible players there is an opportunity to get a 1-2 year deal determined by an independent party when the parties can't agree to a contract, regardless of what negotiations looked like.

For example, teams might have a small, but not insignificant difference between their positions when discussions are between a 3-4 year contract. If those negotiations aren't proceeding, arbitration provides a route to get something done so the player can play for a reasonable amount in the short term.

Arbitration also provides a not insignificant deadline to help negotiations settle, since neither party really wants to go to arbitration (this aspect isn't talked about enough).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I guess Bertuzzi is going to end up being the only one to actually go to arbitration.
Ryan Strome may, he had a strong season re points last season, may roll the dice w arbitrator,
although if he really wants to stay a while longer w NYR, he should negotiate a 1 or 2 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad