Confirmed Signing with Link: 26 players have filed for Salary Arbitration *Updated with Arbitration schedule *

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's interesting how the 1st one to go to arbitration is the one where the team and player were actually pretty close.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The $3.15m from Detroit makes me wonder if they're using Max Domi as their comparable. Looking for comparable players with 15-25 goals and 40+ points the past four seasons who signed at age 23-26, contract of 1-3 years yields notables:

Max Domi $3.15m, Mark Stone $3.5m, Ondrej Palat $3.33m, Tyler Johnson $3.33m, Jason Zucker $2m, Tyler Toffoli $4.6m, Cam Atkinson $3.5m. (note: didn't verify every player produced these numbers prior to the contract)

Looking at their contracts and numbers I'm inclined to think Bertuzzi outproduced Domi in the seasons leading up to their comparable contracts, but I don't see a clear comparable to merit the $4.25m ask. My instinct would be an arbitration award a little higher then Domi. Maybe something in the ~$3.5m range.

The only forward I see who signed a RFA deal at $4.25m cap is Victor Arvidsson. That would be an interesting comparable, but it seems so difficult to use a 7 year contract as comparable for a 1 year arbitration award.

Last edited:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I thought they could make an offer after the hearing but before the ruling?

i don't have a source, sorry, but in last day or 2, i believe I read a mention that, under new rules, sides can no longer reach settlement once hearing occurs

UPDATE: found this online
"
MOU - NHL Mediamedia.nhl.com › public › ext › NHLPA_NHL_MOU
Jun 5, 2020
https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/NHLPA_NHL_MOU.pdf
National Hockey League/National Hockey League Players’ Association
Memorandum of Understanding
59. Salary Arbitration
• A Salary Arbitration matter may not be settled after the hearing has commenced.
..."

Reactions: hn777

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I thought they could make an offer after the hearing but before the ruling?

Teams and players used to be able to make a deal anytime up until the arbitration award ruling was issued. Under the new 2020 CBA once the hearing starts that's it, no more deals.

Makes sense, something like 75-80% of arbitration hearings were being settled before the arbitrator finished the award ruling. Why waste all that time and resources.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Honestly, that's a low ask from Bertuzzi's end.

I dunno why both sides couldn't mutually agree on a 5 x $4.5M - $5M deal, at that rate.

True story. If Bertuzzi wanted 4. 25 from my team, I'd just ask how many years he wanted. Job done.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
My thinking as well, Term definitely had to be the sticking point there.
Well then whoever wanted longer term is automatically screwed going into arb.

I doubt it was about length. Just battling for each penny in these tough covid times. If you can "win" 100k, you do it, what with cap issues and escrow.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Anybody have an idea when these rulings usually come public? Bertuzzi's the first to go to arbitration this year and I can't remember what time of day these have come out in the past.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Anybody have an idea when these rulings usually come public? Bertuzzi's the first to go to arbitration this year and I can't remember what time of day these have come out in the past.
As per the CBA, the arbiter has 48 hours from the closing of the hearing.

Sometimes they come the evening of, but it's not uncommon we do wait two days. Don't know what time in the day Bert's hearing was, or how long it was, when it ended, but with today being two days after the hearing, the decision should be made some time today.

DET then has another 48 hours to decide to match or walk if the settlement is above the threshold to walk.

Reactions: cptjeff

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This is very interesting, because evolving-hockey estimates 4.182M 1-year and 4.555M 2-year for Bertuzzi.

They have been very close on lastest estimations, especially for this aged RFA players. Like Tierney was estimated for 3.538M 2-years and got 3.500M for 2 years. Reinhart was estimated 1-year 5.263M, got 1-year 5.200M

Tough to see nothing else but a bargain price for Bertuzzi because the own ask is so low. Think 2 years is not an option from teams side, because that makes him UFA.

1-year deal now, and longer deal after, if everything is still going well like it has been for Bertuzzi.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->