Confirmed Signing with Link: 26 players have filed for Salary Arbitration *Updated with Arbitration schedule *

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I’m fully aware. What I was saying was teams may not want to qualify players they normally would in a non covid year.

But the deadline for giving qualifying offers was Oct. 7, so teams have already made the decision on who they will and won't qualify. Teams can't change their mind and rescind an offer now.

Qualifying happens first, then arbitration for those eligible.

Reactions: cwede

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Weird they gave him 200,000 more, but regardless he was guarenteed a 1 year, 4,300,000 contract.
I believe that it was the Sens that had selected arbitration, not Ceci. This is key, because if the team chooses arbitration they forfeit their walkaway option.
The Leafs chose to pay Ceci $200,000 more than the qualifying offer because they did not want to take the risk of an arbitration award being much higher.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I believe that it was the Sens that had selected arbitration, not Ceci. This is key, because if the team chooses arbitration they forfeit their walkaway option.
The Leafs chose to pay Ceci $200,000 more than the qualifying offer because they did not want to take the risk of an arbitration award being much higher.

Neither side selected arbitration. The Leafs signed Ceci before the deadline to file for arbitration.

The previous year in 2018 Ceci selected arbitration with Ottawa and was awarded a one year $4.3m contract.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Neither side selected arbitration. The Leafs signed Ceci before the deadline to file for arbitration.

The previous year in 2018 Ceci selected arbitration with Ottawa and was awarded a one year $4.3m contract.
I stand corrected. Thank you.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

8G/15A/23PTS in 39GP. Zero points in 5 playoff GP.

The PPG is really nice, but otherwise no previous games before this season and didn’t stay healthy this year. 3rd line TOI.

Without searching for comparables I’d guess he’s getting something around $1.5-1.6m in arbitration. Potentially a little more if the Leafs want 2 years.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Led Ottawa forwards in TOI/G, 16G/27A/43PTS in 71GP, on pace for ~50 points in a normal 82 game season. Three solid seasons previously at 36, 28, 29 points.

Some possible comparables (looking for RFA forwards age 23-27 who signed 1-3 year deals:

Tyler Toffoli $4.6m. I think Brown is noticeably behind Toffoli, with Toffoli having had 49 and 58 point seasons, plus a injured 34 point season that paced for 44 points. Plus Toffoli had a 30G season under his belt.

Max Domi $3.15m. Domi had 52, 38, 45 point seasons, only 9 goals each in the two final years though. I would probably give Brown a small edge here based on better goal scoring and higher TOI / value to team.

Richard Panik $2.8m. Panik had a 22G/22A season prior to the deal, but his prior 4 NHL seasons didn't have production near this. Also well behind in TOI and relative team TOI. Strong edge to Brown.

Not trying to do a comprehensive list of comparables. My guess on Brown would be his arbitration floor is somewhere around $3.3m, ceiling of $4m.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@mouser

Thoughts on Weegar? He has filed every year eligible in FLA.

Our fans are a bit worried he takes the one year and walks.
I still think we can sign him to a 2-3 year deal with comparable of Graves (3yr x $3.17 mil) in COL and recently with Grz (4yr x $3.69 mil) in BOS.

1 year x $3mil
2 years x $3.25 mil
3 years x $3.45 mil
4 years x $3.65 mil

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
@mouser

Thoughts on Weegar? He has filed every year eligible in FLA.

Our fans are a bit worried he takes the one year and walks.
I still think we can sign him to a 2-3 year deal with comparable of Graves (3yr x $3.17 mil) in COL and recently with Grz (4yr x $3.69 mil) in BOS.

1 year x $3mil
2 years x $3.25 mil
3 years x $3.45 mil
4 years x $3.65 mil

I have a really hard time gauging Weegar. Best thing he has going for him is 20min TOI/G this season, good for 3rd on Florida. Generally playing 2nd pairing minutes is going to net a bigger award then 3rd pairing minutes. Then again he only played 45 games this season and 3rd pairing minutes the prior two. Solid on blocked shots, but nothing out of proportion to the other D on his team. Almost no PP time, takes a regular SH shift.

Graves deal bought 1 year of UFA, Grz bought 3. Graves played 2nd pairing minutes (though still absolutely less then Weegar). Grz played 3rd pairing.

There are other players who have had stats not totally dissimilar from Weegar and received less then $2.5m. Just looking at the two names you mentioned, I'd expect to view him more similarly to Graves then Grz because of the # of UFA years bought.

An educated guess, but guess none the less, I'd think $3m is the ceiling on what Weegar could expect in arbitration, with a floor of about $2.5m (though this could be lower). Wouldn't be shocked by an arbitration award around $2.75m or so.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I have a really hard time gauging Weegar. Best thing he has going for him is 20min TOI/G this season, good for 3rd on Florida. Generally playing 2nd pairing minutes is going to net a bigger award then 3rd pairing minutes. Then again he only played 45 games this season and 3rd pairing minutes the prior two. Solid on blocked shots, but nothing out of proportion to the other D on his team. Almost no PP time, takes a regular SH shift.

Graves deal bought 1 year of UFA, Grz bought 3. Graves played 2nd pairing minutes (though still absolutely less then Weegar). Grz played 3rd pairing.

There are other players who have had stats not totally dissimilar from Weegar and received less then $2.5m. Just looking at the two names you mentioned, I'd expect to view him more similarly to Graves then Grz because of the # of UFA years bought.

An educated guess, but guess none the less, I'd think $3m is the ceiling on what Weegar could expect in arbitration, with a floor of about $2.5m (though this could be lower). Wouldn't be shocked by an arbitration award around $2.75m or so.

Appreciate the reply.

I think management side will bring up his injuries as evidence against a higher award.
Figured somewhere around $2.5 to $2.75 million would be the floor on management side and Weegar would come in around $4 to $4.25 million, and both sides meet somewhere near the middle.
I think the 2 year deal in around $3 to $3.25 mil per seems fair for both, Weegar has improved every year since juniors.

He could play with Ekblad on the top pair again, improving his monetary/player value for 2 years when the cap goes up, he'd be 28 years old and possibly have 3 years (2.5 years with injuries) at 20mins/game which could be closer to a deal of 4 years x $4.5 to $5 million as a free agent.

He was pacing around 12 goals and 30pts with no PP time.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
8G/15A/23PTS in 39GP. Zero points in 5 playoff GP.

The PPG is really nice, but otherwise no previous games before this season and didn’t stay healthy this year. 3rd line TOI.

Without searching for comparables I’d guess he’s getting something around $1.5-1.6m in arbitration. Potentially a little more if the Leafs want 2 years.

And Mikheyev signs for 2 years x $1.645m, avoiding arbitration.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Led Ottawa forwards in TOI/G, 16G/27A/43PTS in 71GP, on pace for ~50 points in a normal 82 game season. Three solid seasons previously at 36, 28, 29 points.

Some possible comparables (looking for RFA forwards age 23-27 who signed 1-3 year deals:

Tyler Toffoli $4.6m. I think Brown is noticeably behind Toffoli, with Toffoli having had 49 and 58 point seasons, plus a injured 34 point season that paced for 44 points. Plus Toffoli had a 30G season under his belt.

Max Domi $3.15m. Domi had 52, 38, 45 point seasons, only 9 goals each in the two final years though. I would probably give Brown a small edge here based on better goal scoring and higher TOI / value to team.

Richard Panik $2.8m. Panik had a 22G/22A season prior to the deal, but his prior 4 NHL seasons didn't have production near this. Also well behind in TOI and relative team TOI. Strong edge to Brown.

Not trying to do a comprehensive list of comparables. My guess on Brown would be his arbitration floor is somewhere around $3.3m, ceiling of $4m.

Connor Brown signs for 3 years x $3.6m, avoiding arbitration.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
i'm new to the RFA signing process but aren't there tons more RFAs than this? (i.e. TB with Cirelli, Sergachev) If they haven't elected for arb does that mean they intend to sign with their teams?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
i'm new to the RFA signing process but aren't there tons more RFAs than this? (i.e. TB with Cirelli, Sergachev) If they haven't elected for arb does that mean they intend to sign with their teams?

Outside of Offer Sheets ( and those don't happen ) or threatening the leave the NHL they can't sign elsewhere.

Reactions: SensFactor

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I'm new to the RFA signing process, but aren't there tons more RFAs than this? (i.e. TB with Cirelli, Sergachev) If they haven't elected for arb, does that mean they intend to sign with their teams?

Outside of Offer Sheets ( and those don't happen ) or threatening the leave the NHL they can't sign elsewhere.

per the NHL CBA, for RFA to be eligible for salary arbitration,
they must qualify according to this chart, by age and/or pro experience

ARTICLE 12 SALARY ARBITRATION
12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.
(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(b) below:
First SPC Signing Age Minimum Level of Professional
Experience Required to be
Eligible for Salary Arbitration

18-20
4 years professional experience

3 years professional experience

22-23
2 years professional experience

24 and older
1 year professional experience
[COLGROUP][COL][/COL] [COL][/COL] [/COLGROUP]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Source: COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT BETWEEN NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE AND NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION
FEBRUARY 15, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->