'22 Olympics (Farrell, Dichow)

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
From my understanding, guys like McTavish, Guhle, and Perfetti can’t go because they are signed to NHL contracts.

However, Owen Power and Kent Johnson could go because they haven’t signed yet.

Couldn't the NHL team that holds said contract make an exception for specific players? I bet they can.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Couldn't the NHL team that holds said contract make an exception for specific players? I bet they can.
I don’t think they can. The NHL said they’re not going to the Olympics. No player with an NHL contract can go. It’s not like the WJC where Chicago let Dach go after his rookie year.

Believe me, I’d love to see Kaiden Guhle play for Canada at the Olympics but I don’t think it’s possible.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think they can. The NHL said they’re not going to the Olympics. No player with an NHL contract can go. It’s not like the WJC where Chicago let Dach go after his rookie year.

Believe me, I’d love to see Kaiden Guhle play for Canada at the Olympics but I don’t think it’s possible.

I'm not sure on this one. I think guys not in the AHL/NHL who do have ELC in development leagues can be an exception. NHL not going to the Olympics is more about actual NHL players than NHL contracts. :dunno:

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why would anyone want to send our prospects to a country that is currently enacting genocide and has a long dark history of human rights violations? The entire world should turn their backs on China.

I'm against sending the top athletes there, but sending a prospect over a non-NHL veteran player won't really make a difference. Not having the Makars, McDavids, etc. will hurt them financially. Having Guhle there over let's say a Darren Dietz will not really help them out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he tests positive and has to isolate in China for 5 weeks that would be a huge blow for his development.

I don't believe it will hurt him that badly (if that happens). Lets face it, he don't have too much else to learn in the CHL. His next level of development test is AHL/NHL when he turns pro and is facing guys that are bigger and skate better than the average CHL body.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From my understanding, guys like McTavish, Guhle, and Perfetti can’t go because they are signed to NHL contracts.

However, Owen Power and Kent Johnson could go because they haven’t signed yet.

I think players on AHL/NHL rosters can't go. It's very possible that if you have not played your 10 games where you have burned one ELC year, you are allowed to go to the Olympics. Blocking them when they are not in the NHL makes no sense.

Also, why the hell has Power not signed a ELC yet? I guess that happens prior to the off season... Would miss out on a signing bonus. Think it's around $93K max.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What you might be overlooking is the ELC that has not been trigged yet.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm against sending the top athletes there, but sending a prospect over a non-NHL veteran player won't really make a difference. Not having the Makars, McDavids, etc. will hurt them financially. Having Guhle there over let's say a Darren Dietz will not really help them out.

We shouldn't participate as a nation.......never mind private enterprise, every nation should entirely boycott these Olympic games. The IOC should not award the games to countries like China in the first place. To be clear this is not in any way a reflection on the people of China just the murderous human trash that rule them.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad