Post-Game Talk: $22 Million Couldn't Get A Shot Off In The Shootout | Leafs lose 1-0

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
IF they weren't whining about our playoff hopes, they would be whining about not having home ice, or whining about our contract situation next year, or whining about how Dubas should have been more active at the deadline.

It's endless, and there will never any satisfaction as long as some people are expecting this young team be mature into the prime 80's Oilers overnight.

Whining and drama seem to follow this team around constantly, and I think the fan expectations have something to do with it. 50 years of futility should not create unreasonable expectations on today's team. It was understandable after that horrid week a few weeks ago, but the team has responded.

Absolutely. Way too many fans expect instant sweeping overnight changes.
Its like they just ignore the path that other cup winners had to take. OV sure didnt win his cup quickly. It took a few retools before all the pieces were finally in place for the Caps to finally get over that last hump

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We should have won both games but not like the team gave up. Leafs played good in both games.
Just could not score on the other teams goalies.
Andersen quietly is having a long shut out streak of over 5 period of hockey. The last time someone scored on him was last Sat against the Nucks.
PK was perfect last night.
Leafs is still 5 pts ahead of Panthers just like it was on Monday morning.
The status quo remains the same.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Absolutely. Way too many fans expect instant sweeping overnight changes.
Its like they just ignore the path that other cup winners had to take. OV sure didnt win his cup quickly. It took a few retools before all the pieces were finally in place for the Caps to finally get over that last hump

I think Chicago and Pittsburgh's cup teams gave people the expectation that you are bad for a long time, then you draft a few players and boom - you're in the finals. I think the reality for most teams is far from that.

We should have won both games but not like the team gave up. Leafs played good in both games.
Just could not score on the other teams goalies.
Andersen quietly is having a long shut out streak of over 5 period of hockey. The lass time someone scored on him was last Sat against the Nucks.
PK was perfect last night.
Leafs is still 5 pts ahead of Panthers just like it was on Monday morning.
The status quo remains the same.

The beauty of status quo is that our magic number just keeps going down. The pressure is on the Cats to break this trend.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This game truly brings out both sides in our fanbase.

One side sees a game that we dominated and just couldn't beat a hot goalie. (Quick has stopped 98 of 100 shots in his last 3 games)

The other side sees a game where we lost to a bottom feeder and all of a sudden we "don't have heart" and we're "lazy and disinterested"

Make up your mind leafs nation.

P.S. obviously we played a good game and got stoned by Quick.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Remove the shootout already please. Such a stupid way to end hockey games. It's good enough to be the deciding factor of who gets in the playoffs and who misses, but not good enough to decide the actual cup winner ? #Logic

3 point games and shootouts are like herpes to the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Draisaitl was considered one of the worst contracts in hockey at age 22 when he was being paid an unheard of RFA deal worth 8.5/year to SCORE 70 POINTS.

Mitch already has 65 in 57gp with much better metrics.

It's almost like players are paid on what they will be worth during the ENTIRE contract rather than 70% of year one.

You make a good point.

Wouldn't Marner look good on the Draisaitl deal, and too bad Dubas didn't have the foresight the Oilers showed when locking up their young stars early anticipating increased production?

Reactions: Al14 and ACC1224

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Wouldn't Marner look good on the Draisaitl deal and too bad Dubas didn't have the foresight the Oilers showed when locking up their young stars?

Different salary climate. Also, Drai didn't have a 94 point season under his belt.

Marner was literally better in every metric, advanced and traditional, when he signed his deal. Add to that the slow increase in RFA demands, and something like 9.5-10 million looks realistic. I've always held that Mitch likley got overpaid by 1m, but unlike some here, I am willing to see if he can earn his salary before I start hating him and Dubas.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
A little OT: Did the whole marner contract debacle break him or? he is just not the same happy dude anymore, and yes both his camp and dubas is to blame for what happened, they know how brutal our fan base can be. I hope he is seeing some smart shrink who can massage his brain a little, need him to start playing like a star

Edit: And just to be fair, I do think Marner is looking better in the games lately, I just think he hasnt looked relaxed this year and tighten up. I hope he can put all of this behind him, we are all gonna need to just move on. Or else it pains me to say this, it might make sense for both marner and leafs to trade him for a good return, and yes, we are gonna need a really good offer, because i think marner will bounce back next year.
I think he is just maturing. He's kinda a beta male personality who's very easy on the eyes in a cute way so he was just riding the wave. This is the age where you probably start moving past that if you're in that conundrum.

Was around the same age for me anyway. Kinda had a similar thing going on face wise. Now I don't shave a few days and look 30. Nylander had that phase too. Compare current Nylander to first year clean shaven baby face Nylander. His personality is a lot more serious now too. Not giggling all the time

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
after sleeping off my bitterness for the loss yesterday this game wasn't bad at all. The Kings play a 1-4 trap the whole game to neutralize the Leafs speed. Instead of the Leafs forcing the issue with trying to deke thru everyone they chipped and chased and had the better of the play in the 2nd and 3rd. That type of game is playoff hockey and to see the Leafs switch up their style and not force things or try to do to much is welcomed site.

The team had patience last night and Quick stood on his head to get the win.

Didn't mind the leafs play at all last night

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah thought Marner had some good jump in this game.

PP is killing this team right now though, that is sad.

Honestly I think they should go back to Babcock's PP strategy

Matthews-Nylander-Kapanen-Spezza-Barrie
Tavares-Marner-Kerfoot-Hyman-Sandin/Lily (Rielly/Muzzin when they get back)

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
C'mon guys, losing this game had nothing to do with overpaying MM, AM or JT. It is Dubas' hockey style vs Sutter's hockey style. At the end, we all should happy that we had one pt :popcorn:

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
"Marner is better then Matthews".

no no no, Nylander is better then both of them combined with one hand tied behind his back and while wearing dull skates, c'mon man get it right:nod:

I wish I had your optimism my dude, but it's really tough to believe these guys are capable of beating a true contender in a 7 game series.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but I absolutely do not see myself being wrong, at all.

you're not although the effort last night was actually pretty good Quick was just on

that said there is something definitely wrong with this team, no other explanation for the inconsistencies

Watch the entire game. They had some great chances but just couldn’t put it past Quick. The shoutout was a joke. Both AM and Marner should be ashamed.

Marner is not himself and should be moved to JT Wing as a shake up or sat down for a game. I swear to god if that kid throws one more No look pie up the middle of the ice from Behind the opposing goalie net I am gonna throw my tv controller at him the next game I attend....

you take your remote to the games, do you ever get it mixed up up with your phone?

Something is wrong in that room. And that something might be the Marner's.

you're right you just have the wrong guy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Based on their salaries alone?

LOL

It's a cap league. Their salaries as a team match everyone eleses.

??? Our (total) salaries are the highest in the league, so going to guess you meant something else?

Toronto leads the league from a projected cap hit perspective. Our projected cap hit is $95.3 m. The next closest team is Arizona with a $85.1 m project cap hit.

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps Sort on the Projected Cap Hit column.

18 teams spend below the $81.5 m maximum upper limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJK and Al14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Thought Nylander, Andersen were excellent.

The play where Nylander took the puck off the boards and drove into traffic, and kicked the puck up to his stick was great. Quick was better.

Andersen with some huge saves (don't like him in shoot-outs.)

Hyman with a fricken huge shift in overtime killing that penalty.

Tavares looked much more engaged.

One defenseman continues to annoy the heck out of me. No way would I pay him over $4mm per year. He's no better than Dermott.

Kerfoot has no confidence. He's playing like he's trying to not make a mistake, and it is slowing down his decision making.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Somebody told Marner, I'm assuming it was Keefe or maybe his father to shoot more. This has been a BIG mistake. There have been too many times that Marner has shot from far out rather than find either Matthews or JT. Truth be told his shot couldn't break glass. He should go back to being the play maker he was last year, unless he is in on goal alone.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Oh like mayne, like the other guy said up there andye is playing that real shutout streak with some treal strong game..... mayne he hard and stopping everythang. There's been such a long time nobody even scored against him... like against the vanucks it might have been. That's a long time, andy that great :clap: We just don't score goals with our team, millionares.

The other guy made an interesthang point: Should we continue to play with the shutout goalie andersen tonight mayne? Like we hard like that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am pissed at Marner not doing more too but lets calm the F down painting him useless

he has 65 pts in 57 games (1.14 ppg)

also Matthews and Marner have pretty much similar pts/60 for evenstrength mins

People gotta calm teh F down

Tavares needs to up his game based on stats; he is 68th among all forwards in terms of pts/60 (EV Strength) with at least 600 mins played

Source: NaturalStatrik

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
And Anaheim have just beat the hottest team in the league(Avs)on the road. The Pens lost all three games in California too. Nothing is easy in this league.

c'mon no way!

It's always going to be Marner s fault when we lose
Or the goaltender

it's just weird isn't it, I mean how quickly LeaFland turned on Mitch

Tying up 50 % of the salary on 4 players is never a good idea in my opinion. Creates disharmony in the locker room and a feeling of us and them.

more truth here then many realize

Is it just me or does it seem like all our games against the Kings are boring, plodding games?

Made it to the 2nd period and said forget this and went to bed and now I'm glad I did.

Sounds like Quick won them the game. On to the next now......

boring plodding?

it wasn't wide open to be sure, but it was great hockey, they're aren't enough goaltender duels, every shot takes you out of your seat

Yes your right we have an issue if Dubas chose Marner to go 3rd. Is there disfunction between Dubas and Keefe already that the GM is calling the shots from upstairs? Source...

facetious

Don’t take a facetious comment seriously because it’s supposed to be funny. Anything facetious is a joke. If you've just won a hotdog-eating contest and someone asks if you'd like to go out for burgers, they’re probably being facetious.

jus sayin, unless of course you're just being ironic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad