Post-Game Talk: $22 Million Couldn't Get A Shot Off In The Shootout | Leafs lose 1-0

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Lol...imagine think that standings should be based on salaries.....
Where oh where did I say that the standings should be based on salaries? Like where?

I inferred that our big 4 are highly paid, and, IMHO, they should be better positioned in a playoff birth. No way they should be a bubble playoff team at this point given how highly paid they are.

Again JMHO. You are welcome to accept them as a bubble playoff team if you so desire.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I thought Marner looked a little bit better today (had some speed). Its a bit typical of Marners season to fail his shootout attempt. Im sure he will be great next year and hope he will become great this year. Especially for the playoffs. =)

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I guess there were lots of chances but man, the product is so devoid of intensity it's getting hard to sit through the games anymore. Not liking the new direction of the product.

Reactions: Legendary

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Draisaitl was considered one of the worst contracts in hockey at age 22 when he was being paid an unheard of RFA deal worth 8.5/year to SCORE 70 POINTS.

Mitch already has 65 in 57gp with much better metrics.

It's almost like players are paid on what they will be worth during the ENTIRE contract rather than 70% of year one.

He signed for 8 years.

And he scores a lot of goals.

Leon Draisaitl - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Something is wrong in that room. And that something might be the Marner's.

There is a lot of latent hostility remaining from that protracted contract negotiation last summer/fall, I know I sure wasn’t impressed when I read somewhere about his Fathers comments that he should be paid the same as Matthews. He unfortunately lost a lot of his “Favorite son” image with the Fans.

Dubas was in a hard spot, he didn’t want a repeat of the Nylander fiasco so he caved to Marner. Probably justified it by figuring the contract would look good in a few years between an increasing salary cap and Marners youth and potential (which has worked out for his signing of Willie).

maybe the answer to Marners play is that this all bothers him tremendously, he cares so much. He’s gripping his stick too hard.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
for me, the last few games have been less about getting points that we appear to not really need since the FLA win, but more about righting certain parts of the ship that were in rough shape previously:
  • Andersen now has 2 weeks of better than .920 sv% and sun 2 gaa in 4 games. Might be too early to call this a trend but it could be the start of one, and hugely positive for the team if so.
  • Campbell has been solid since we got him, looks the part of a steady backup and maybe 1b type goalie. That's a big hole filled for 3 years
  • Matthews looks like his pre-Trouba hit self to me. He's been good all year but still looked tentative on contact until the last month or so, has been even better lately
  • Nylander obviously has put to bed the concerns of last season
  • Dermott has looked like a competent anchor of a top 4 pairing (so either a #1 or #3 dman depending on how you want to rank the pairings) since Muzzin went down. If he continues this, and can play the right side, that might be our biggest need filled. Though I don't think he's offensively inept, we don't need him to generate offense, just suppress the other team and get the puck back to our forwards which is a mold he's been fitting brilliantly of late. Again, too early to call this a trend but his play has been so deliberate that it doesn't seem like coincidence to me, he thinks the game very quickly.
there's certainly some things that I feel better about now than I did after the Carolina game

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I just watched the Leafs lose to the worst team in the Western conference.

Did you have the wrong game on?

The kings are going through a hot stretch. They are 7-2-1 in their last 10.

We came close, we hit the post, but we couldnt get past Quick. It happens.

The good thing is we got a point to match the Panthers.

Now the Panthers have to make up 5 points over us in 15 games.
In those games they will play top 10 teams like St. Louis X2, Boston, Dallas, Washington
They also have to face the red hot Zibanejad. They have to beat us. And Winni who's fighting for a playoff spot. That's 8 tough games.

They have 2 back to backs
3 road trips for 8 road games
And starting the March 12th they have to play 13 games in 24 days.

We have to play at least as good as them, going forward.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
If you look at the statistics, Ceci has the best metrics of all the Leafs defensemen in terms of giving up goals
Can you break those stats up by Ceci giving up goals vs top/mid/bottom players in the NHL? The context matters here. I guess in analytics you could apply weights to goals based on who was on the ice, who was in net, what is the teams winning streak, it's endless.. screw stats, you can twist them to look good or bad many ways

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The better team doesn't always win. The Leafs played a good road game and deserved more than 1 point. Kapanen hitting the post hurt them.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What a snoozer that was. I guess that is the risk when you stay up late for a game; you may wake up tired and annoyed...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He signed for 8 years.

And he scores a lot of goals.

Leon Draisaitl - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

This is nonsense... like I don't even understand why people do this to themselves... yes, Draisaitl has become a great player, on a great contract.

He signed after 128 points, his prior two years.

Marner signed, after 163 points his prior two year.

It's not really close, despite what Draisaitl became...

and yes, Marner was overpaid anyway, by about $1.5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad