Post-Game Talk: $22 Million Couldn't Get A Shot Off In The Shootout | Leafs lose 1-0

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm trying to find out what's up.
Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's playing through some type of hand/wrist injury.
Maybe I would text Paul but he has gone quiet since summer. Maybe they got a box this year because I don't see him around at games anymore. Something is wrong. But he did have puck issues as a kid and in London for stretches. I hope it is just a confidence thing. I guess he is going through a stretch right now where he has lost a little confidence. I am not worried as he always comes out of it. To me the thing I don't like but I know all these kids do it is the stupid online video games at all hours of the morning. I just don't see the value in it. But I can't even stop it with my kids when they come home to visit. But I can tell you we got a few kids who fancy themselves wizards.

Reactions: ACC1224

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
You've got to actually qualify for the playoffs to find out that! Based on their inability to score against LA, playoffs are last thing I'd be worried about right now!

Why? Have you looked at the standings? NHL.com broken on your interwebs machine?

Talk about dramatic overreaction.

Reactions: Loosie and Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Why? Have you looked at the standings? NHL.com broken on your interwebs machine?

IF they weren't whining about our playoff hopes, they would be whining about not having home ice, or whining about our contract situation next year, or whining about how Dubas should have been more active at the deadline.

It's endless, and there will never any satisfaction as long as some people are expecting this young team be mature into the prime 80's Oilers overnight.

Whining and drama seem to follow this team around constantly, and I think the fan expectations have something to do with it. 50 years of futility should not create unreasonable expectations on today's team. It was understandable after that horrid week a few weeks ago, but the team has responded.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
So you're basically saying you are a bandwagoner and only watch "good teams". You just stop watching when a team starts losing eh?

Well, if you're using logic, than this comment is far from valid. My comment has nothing to do with being a bandwagoner, and was directed to a poster who had made numerous comments criticizing a team he/she said was "not good". I've got no problem with that assertion. But, why does someone spend time fixating on the negatives? What do they gain? I've but two conclusions: that either they are here to troll because of a desire to disturb the fan base, or that that person is hurting his or her self by worrying about something they've already determined is sub-standard. I'm not claiming the former, but worry about the latter. Is that wrong?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
IF they weren't whining about our playoff hopes, they would be whining about not having home ice, or whining about our contract situation next year, or whining about how Dubas should have been more active at the deadline.

It's endless, and there will never any satisfaction as long as some people are expecting this young team be mature into the prime 80's Oilers overnight.

Whining and drama seem to follow this team around constantly, and I think the fan expectations have something to do with it. 50 years of futility should not create unreasonable expectations on today's team.
It's a much better look to whine about other fans views amirite?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Good for you if mediocre hockey from our Leafs is acceptable. Based on their salaries alone, this team should be sitting very comfortably in a playoff position. They are not!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

Whining and drama seem to follow this team around constantly, and I think the fan expectations have something to do with it. 50 years of futility should not create unreasonable expectations on today's team. It was understandable after that horrid week a few weeks ago, but the team has responded.

Leafs win but do so in a sloppy unconvincing fashion: "yeah they won but you're not going to win playing like that in playoffs!"

Leafs lose but play well and were the better team: "there's no moral victories in the playoffs.....wins are what matters!"

Rinse. Repeat.

I get that there are concerns, but it seems like the sky is always falling even when it's not. And you know once this team finally gets over the hump, these same fans will be talking about how they're dyed in the wool Maple Leafs fans who have stuck with this team through thick and thin.

Reactions: Merrrlin

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Good for you if mediocre hockey from our Leafs is acceptable. Based on their salaries alone, this team should be sitting very comfortably in a playoff position. They are not!

Great post!

You put words into my mouth that I didn't say, and managed to not address the flaw in your bad take.

Had you called me a boomer or a snowflake, you would have hit the trifecta! Try harder next time.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No wins since Lou's terrific trade deadline...shocking for a team that can't score.

To be fair, losing Boychuk was a big blow.
injuries aren't an excuse though, right?

Truth be told, the magic wore off over in the Island. Tavares leaving was a great rally point for them, but it can only go on for so long. I just noticed the Lou fluffing narrative around here has dried up.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Marner should be able to get things done with Gauthier as his center.

Saying he should have Tavares instead of Matthews as his center so that he can get stuff done is the weakest excuse I have ever heard.

He needs to start playing like the type of guy who can start making things happen regardless of what his team mates are doing. If you need other players to finish your work, and for them to be playing well in order for you to be effective, then you need to be a lot better. Regardless of how many points you put up. Tavares, Nylander and Matthews have all shown that they can take charge and win games regardless of how their team mates are doing. Heck even Hyman has done it more than a few times. Even when they do not always show up on the scoresheet, and even if they are not always consistenly putting up those efforts. Marner has not had many of those games where it looks like he is in the drivers seat, but rather has his effectiveness determined by how well Tavares, Matthews, Hyman, etc. play that game. That is simply not going to cut it at any point, but especially not in the playoffs when you are expected to be a top performing player for this team.
If that’s the case. Keefe wants more depth right? So he should put Matthews with our 4th line guys. He doesn’t because he wants to give the team a better chance to win so he puts him with better players. What I’m saying with Marner is he is playing like a superstar but the chemistry of who he’s with is why the pucks not going in more, specifically last game. Keefe needs to realize Marners a pass first guy but he also plays the numbers game with his passes. If it’s a tight game he needs to move him with more guys who play the percentages and crash the net.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
That game pissed me off .
Sure they were sound defensively... and willy was buzzing.

No goals against LA... quick is swimming all over the net and leaving the top half open 90% of the time

Went with a buddy who hasn't been to a game before.... was hoping to win over a new fan.. no goals.. come on

Was going to look at cheap ticks in Anaheim... not sure now

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I stayed up for the whole thing, and I'm feeling it at work today, lol.

We played hard for 60 minutes at both ends of the ice and deserved 2 points last night, but Quick was great and we also missed a ton of chances.

Disappointing finish to an otherwise good game.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

No goals against LA... quick is swimming all over the net and leaving the top half open 90% of the time

Went with a buddy who hasn't been to a game before.... was hoping to win over a new fan.. no goals.. come on
I didn't like it either but we got Quicked. He has done it too many teams before us. It is not like we were the first one. It happens. No one likes it but money goalies can do it on any given night.

Reactions: TMLFC

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark

Was going to look at cheap ticks in Anaheim... not sure now
Do it, been to a few Anaheim games when they were going deep in the playoffs a few years back. Great experience, very open and relaxed ppl down there in Anaheim. Also, they do not play as well defensive hockey, they got some problems on their backend, and gibson isnt looking like the gibson we know because of that. kinda reminds me of what andersen is going through here in leaf land. But if Leafs get ahead in this game im gonna call it, leafs are gonna score a lot of goals if anaheim has to open up a little

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This Leafs team has secured only 1/4 points against two bottom five teams with a combined -80 goal differential this year.

Clearly this roster enjoys playing West coast games where their lack of effort doesn't get magnified by media and they can take a week off.

Expect them to lose tonight as well. They aren't interested in the free California points, and it is a back to back which traditionally they don't even pretend to show up for.

Reactions: Al14

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Kopitar made Matthews and Marner his bitch tonight.

Willie was good, Tavares was awful.

Atrocious effort against the worst team in the entire Western conference.

Kopitar put up no points on the board and only had one shot on goal but its only Kopitar shutting down Matthews not the other way around lmao. Perfect example of why this fanbase is so cancerous

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
This Leafs team has secured only 1/4 points against two bottom five teams with a combined -80 goal differential this year.

Clearly this roster enjoys playing West coast games where their lack of effort doesn't get magnified by media and they can take a week off.

Expect them to lose tonight as well. They aren't interested in the free California points, and it is a back to back which traditionally they don't even pretend to show up for.

You seem like one of those people that just wallow in your own pity and look for any reason to be miserable. They arent going to go undefeated and arent goong to be perfect. Its like you just started watching hockey in 2017

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad