Post-Game Talk: $22 Million Couldn't Get A Shot Off In The Shootout | Leafs lose 1-0

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
A little OT: Did the whole marner contract debacle break him or? he is just not the same happy dude anymore, and yes both his camp and dubas is to blame for what happened, they know how brutal our fan base can be. I hope he is seeing some smart shrink who can massage his brain a little, need him to start playing like a star

Edit: And just to be fair, I do think Marner is looking better in the games lately, I just think he hasnt looked relaxed this year and tighten up. I hope he can put all of this behind him, we are all gonna need to just move on. Or else it pains me to say this, it might make sense for both marner and leafs to trade him for a good return, and yes, we are gonna need a really good offer, because i think marner will bounce back next year.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There are no shootouts in the playoffs
You've got to actually qualify for the playoffs to find out that! Based on their inability to score against LA, playoffs are last thing I'd be worried about right now!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I fell asleep for the entire third period. Watched overtime and watched Barrie try giving it away in overtime. What a headcase that guy is. He is not a safe player at both ends of the rink. Whoever says this guy will get $8 million is out of their mind.
Florida only got a single point also so no biggie as long as they lose their next game and we win ours

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If people actually watched the game, Toronto outplayed LA all night. If it weren't for Quick we would have won this game 4-0. I have no criticisms of how the team played last night. They played against a scared team that played the trap all night. Quick played above what he has all season long.

If the Leafs play this way consistently they easily win 4 of 5 games in segments. That effort last night was good hockey.

We got a point, we had some tough luck with multiple posts. Still 5 up on Florida.

A win tonight would do wonders.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Why do people get all angry over the shootout? It's a joke.
With that said I'm not sure why Dubas chose Marner to go 3rd... he has been lacking finishing confidence for awhile now.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You've got to actually qualify for the playoffs to find out that! Based on their inability to score against LA, playoffs are last thing I'd be worried about right now!
2 way you can look at this playoff situation.
1 is nobody has clinched so nobody is in
Or
2 the leafs sit in a playoff spot right now with a cushion
Maybe combine the 2 but to use the argument that we need to qualify for the playoffs when 30 other teams want to and we are sitting in a playoff position late in the season seems an overreaction.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
With that said I'm not sure why Dubas chose Marner to go 3rd... he has been lacking finishing confidence for awhile now.

Yes your right we have an issue if Dubas chose Marner to go 3rd. Is there disfunction between Dubas and Keefe already that the GM is calling the shots from upstairs? Source...

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Jesus Christ no matter happens in any given game, it's the same damn thing - "well they are getting paid so much....can't have depth because we're paying our top 4 guys...".

It's like no one in this fanbase actually wants to talk hockey. We're not in this position because the top 4, we're in this position because we had atrocious goaltending, awful injury luck, and a very complacent attitude. Our top guys are pulling their weight.

We play like we did last night every night and we win a lot more than we lose in my opinion. We were winning battles, fighting through the trap, got great goaltending....we need to figure out our PP before we get into the playoffs or we won't make it in or past the 1st round, one or the other. PP is where you get the goals on nights like last night where the checking is tight and the goaltenders are good.

View attachment 331909
2 head coaches and multiple assistants with a huge fortune paid to 4 players, and, our Leafs still need to figure out their powerplay?

Not being able to beat the easy teams doesn't bode well for making the playoffs, never mind making noise, other than a whimper, if they actually make the playoffs.

Our top players need to be be pulling more than their weight with the huge paycheques they take home. Mitch Marner IS NOT living up to that huge overpayment thus far! JMHO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Keefe had Marner go 4th I believe.

Coach needs to start figuring a few of these things out. Same predictable PP that seems to have stagnated and the same shootout lineup that never gets the job done.

Bright side, great overall effort. Shortened defense played well and the goalie finally played well for 60 minutes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tavares and Willy both had 2 great chances to finish and bottom line they could not make it happen against LA's 2nd line. 1 of those 4 got to find a way to back of net. Sorry but that's reality of the situation. That said I love da way Willy played last night. So strong on puck and taking it to the net too.
Kopitar tied up Matty's line all night. Marner has the puck fumbles right now.
Team defense had a couple lapses but overall was excellent.
Freddy played like steady Freddy again.
Kappy still doing his thing would have been nice to had a finish but the work was solid. Same with clifford well done.
Kings neutral zone trapped us which gents we better get used to happening almost every night now.
Our PP wastes way too much time getting organized. Sorry but we are spending too much time in our end achieving nothing.
And the reffing was again horrible. Yes we were fighting through the interference but there were so many hooks and slashes it was ridiculous. Even the 1st minute of game they chose to let slide a trip and an interference call on Kappy. This game management is a BAD thing for our Leafs. We need the game called by the books not by game management. That was not a game with 3 penalties each. It just wasn't. It should have been double the penalties for the Kings minimum. Again another mechanism how the NHL keeps game close when 1 team is trapping. Clearly the trap interference is allowed. Any who it makes me mad every time I see. Bruins are masters of it too. Totally inference against tampa almost all game. H*ll just let everything go. Why bother with a rule book? The NHL sucks and blows like crazy when it suits their desires. Despicable.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
2 head coaches and multiple assistants with a huge fortune paid to 4 players, and, our Leafs still need to figure out their powerplay?

Not being able to beat the easy teams doesn't bode well for making the playoffs, never mind making noise, other than a whimper, if they actually make the playoffs.

Our top players need to be be pulling more than their weight with the huge paycheques they take home. Mitch Marner IS NOT living up to that huge overpayment thus far! JMHO.

He's 22 and in year 1 of his contract...Jesus Christ give the kid some time. Imagine if you said the same thing about Drai at 22? You'd look like a fool now.

Reactions: Rogie and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Tavares and Willy both had 2 great chances to finish and bottom line they could not make it happen against LA's 2nd line. 1 of those 4 got to find a way to back of net. Sorry but that's reality of the situation. That said I love da way Willy played last night. So strong on puck and taking it to the net too.
Kopitar tied up Matty's line all night. Marner has the puck fumbles right now.
Team defense had a couple lapses but overall was excellent.
Freddy played like steady Freddy again.
Kappy still doing his thing would have been nice to had a finish but the work was solid. Same with clifford well done.
Kings neutral zone trapped us which gents we better get used to happening almost every night now.
Our PP wastes way too much time getting organized. Sorry but we are spending too much time in our end achieving nothing.
And the reffing was again horrible. Yes we were fighting through the interference but there were so many hooks and slashes it was ridiculous. Even the 1st minute of game they chose to let slide a trip and an interference call on Kappy. This game management is a BAD thing for our Leafs. We need the game called by the books not by game management. That was not a game with 3 penalties each. It just wasn't. It should have been double the penalties for the Kings minimum. Again another mechanism how the NHL keeps game close when 1 team is trapping. Clearly the trap interference is allowed. Any who it makes me mad every time I see. Bruins are masters of it too. Totally inference against tampa almost all game. H*ll just let everything go. Why bother with a rule book? The NHL sucks and blows like crazy when it suits their desires. Despicable.
I'm trying to find out what's up.
Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's playing through some type of hand/wrist injury.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Keefe had Marner go 4th I believe.

Coach needs to start figuring a few of these things out. Same predictable PP that seems to have stagnated and the same shootout lineup that never gets the job done.

Bright side, great overall effort. Shortened defense played well and the goalie finally played well for 60 minutes.

You are correct, Nylander went third. He scored the only goal on Quick.

Reactions: ACC1224

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I have every right to complain. This team has the talent to be significantly better than they are, and they're certainly paid to perform better than they have this season.

It's not just that they're mediocre that's frustrating - it's the reasons why they're so mediocre that is unacceptable and frustrating.

I didn't say you didn't have a right to complain. You said this was not a good team. I only commented that if that's the way you feel, give it a break. You got all antsy. Fair enough, I wasn't trying to call you out in a bad way, I was making a suggestion. If it makes you feel better to watch a team that you think is not good and then spend a good deal of time to bitch about it, have at it. Have a good one mate, I'll bow out now. Enjoy your day.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
It seems to me that Mathews lost the puck as well

But Marner did and we lost the game because of Marner wow.

So of you people are amazing.

Hint to some people here you need to watch another team because because Marner is going to be here for awhile.

Maybe Quick 2as amazing

Supposed some people here aren't also blaming Anderson
lol

It's not a comment on his shootout attempt at all. Otherwise it would have just been a single "Marner loses the puck" ;)

Watch the games
Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's playing through some type of hand/wrist injury.
I think it's psychological. He's forgotten how to play with the puck.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I can't wait for the moral victories to continue into the playoffs.

You are right, it would be better if they went into the playoffs with cheapie wins but playing total shit hockey only to get massacred by a rival.

Moral victories and overall improvements are complete trash am I right?

giphy.gif

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I am really starting to dislike Marner.

I'm sincerely hoping that this is Marner's version of post-contract syndrome like Willy had last year.

Willy of this year is a beast.

Granted, Mitch is still racking up the points so it's not all bad like Nylander's down year, but the player he is right now is just not the player we came to know and love.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I think he's an immature kid whose talent exceeds his maturity and is adjusting to a life with more expectations. I expect he will settle in and ramp up over the next year.

Reactions: definedMF

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
And by that logic no fan should ever criticize their team?

I don't think he said anything about being frustrated by the way.

Criticize away, but if you're going to call the team "not good" and then spend a goodly amount of time criticizing it, my view is that it is not in the person's best interests. Why, because they're "not good". I wasn't trying to call anyone out, I was suggesting and questioning why someone would spend time yacking against something they find sub standard. Once, sure, twice, ok, three, four, five...whatever.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He's 22 and in year 1 of his contract...Jesus Christ give the kid some time. Imagine if you said the same thing about Drai at 22? You'd look like a fool now.
Oh, I didn't know Draisaitl was collecting a huge paycheque at 22! Thanks for setting me straight.

If you want to be paid top dollar, you better be ready to perform at that level. Thus far, Marner is not living up to his greed! When, and if he does, I'll shut the f*** up.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think he's an immature kid whose talent exceeds his maturity and is adjusting to a life with more expectations. I expect he will settle in and ramp up over the next year.
Could be. He certainly hasn't known much adversity in his hockey life.
Perhaps it's getting to him a bit and he doesn't have Marleau around to keep him grounded.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Oh, I didn't know Draisaitl was collecting a huge paycheque at 22! Thanks for setting me straight.

If you want to be paid top dollar, you better be ready to perform at that level. Thus far, Marner is not living up to his greed! When, and if he does, I'll shut the f*** up.

Draisaitl was considered one of the worst contracts in hockey at age 22 when he was being paid an unheard of RFA deal worth 8.5/year to SCORE 70 POINTS.

Mitch already has 65 in 57gp with much better metrics.

It's almost like players are paid on what they will be worth during the ENTIRE contract rather than 70% of year one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad