Post-Game Talk: #22: FLYERS 5 at Hurricanes 3, Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
A few other random thoughts on last night:

Moose really stood tall in the final three minutes, but was all over the place for much of the game. We were lucky the Canes biffed a number of grade A chances. I'd go with Hart tomorrow and let dad rest.

It was a joy to watch Frosty, G and TK. Their advanced stats sucked, but they have the skills to bury their chances, which made the difference. If the coaches can stop relying on G so much for defensive zone starts (he led the team last night) this line could produce a lot of points.

Jake, on the other hand, had a great game on the advanced stat sheet, but came up empty where it counts. I want to see him driving the net at least once a period every game. He makes things happen when he leaves the perimeter and goes to goal.

I guess Morgan got exactly the right amount of AHL time. :naughty:

As mentioned above, Couts looked stronger and has been taking more draws the past two games, which is great news. 600 games? Crap, I'm getting old.

Hägg was fine in his limited minutes and really couldn't be faulted on the third Canes' goal. In fact, he had a good check on McGinn behind our net which gained us the puck. Myers anticipated (correctly) a breakout by G, but the puck bounced on G and Phil was caught in no-mans land leaving Robert to defend a three-on-one. The culprit? The bad ice. Pucks were bouncing all night.

A sign of a well-reffed game is you don't notice them. They were pretty noticeable last night.

The Canes dive more than the Penguins. Sorta sad to see that from a Brindy coached team.

Why is the "Great Check of the Game" announced early in the second period? :dunno:

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
Striiker...........................................................The Truth...............................................................Deadhead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I just find it funny that he only uses "shouting" for one poster, the same with "nearly".

Well, there's a good reason.
Who is the most strident poster on this board.
Loudly proclaiming that he is right, and the coaches and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong, and what's more, usually an idiot.

Ghost Beer's primary sin is not letting go in arguments, like a dog that won't give up his end of the bone even when the other dog has left the yard.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is one of the truest things you've ever posted here.

Striiker...........................................................The Truth...............................................................Deadhead

Oh? And what am I suggesting Ghost is?

I'm excited to hear what my words are being magically transformed to in peoples heads, because 99% of the time responses to my posts include complete fabrications that I never said. :laugh:

I'd bet anything I own on these being things I never actually said.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

hubnester

Nov 8, 2019
Every change of possession that doesn't include a save by a goalie should be a giveaway for the last guy to touch the puck and a takeaway for the guy who then gets the puck.

Wouldn't that include dumps? I feel like it's best to just ignore those stats since they're so inconsistent. Not to mention the context for turnovers and takeaways is huge for any blame or praise you're trying to assign.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Loudly proclaiming that he is right, and the coaches and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong, and what's more, usually an idiot.

Ghost Beer's primary sin is not letting go in arguments, like a dog that won't give up his end of the bone even when the other dog has left the yard.

Meh. Some are calling for a better understanding of emojis in posts, yet put down a poster with a little more hyperbolic posts.

Not to mention that often whenever someone calls out striiker for what they perceived he said and he asks them for a quote, they never come back with the quote.

Acting like one is a big sinner for sin A and the other one is small sinner for sin B is a little alibistic but hey. If thats the game we are playing here, "I will tell one maybe made a mistake, but but but the other one is a baby who screams stuff I dont like or the way I dont like", off we go.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
M
Acting like one is a big sinner for sin A and the other one is small sinner for sin B is a little alibistic but hey. If thats the game we are playing here, "I will tell one maybe made a mistake, but but but the other one is a baby who screams stuff I dont like or the way I dont like", off we go.

I wasn't referring to the merits of said posters, but their style, vehemence and frequency of posts.
"Shouting" was an appropriate descriptor.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Jake, on the other hand, had a great game on the advanced stat sheet, but came up empty where it counts. I want to see him driving the net at least once a period every game. He makes things happen when he leaves the perimeter and goes to goal.

There was at least one strong shift - maybe more - for Raffl, JVR and Jake where they almost connected for a goal. Lo and behold, all three were basically driving the net. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of those three together, but with Laughton back, not sure how you make that work.

Could try

Laughton/Hayes/Pitlick
JVR/Raffl/Jake

as your bottom 6 with roughly the same ice time. Obviously Jake and JVR get PP time on top of that.

Or maybe that's a completely crazy idea.

Reactions: Foggy14

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This entire forum's sin is not letting go in arguments.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, YOURE wrong.

YVpak12.gif

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Solid and resilient win last night!

I admit when they were down 0-2 within the first, what, like 6 minutes, I watched Jake leave the penalty box and thought, "yup, it's gonna be one of those nights."

Thankfully it wasn't. They struck back quickly and held on for a win even though the ice was tilted in Carolina's favour. Awesome work by the team.

Great penalty kill last night. Provy was excellent, as was Niskanen. Obviously the G, Frost, TK line was dominant offensively. Thought Raffl had a really strong game as well - he's one of those set it, and forget it type of player. Rarely is he on the wrong side of a play, very strong along the boards, strong defensively, kills penalties, and showed some skill playing with skill guys last night.

Jake... well. He's like Yngwie Malmsteen when we really need a David Gilmour. He's got a ton of speed, but he just looks out of sync with whoever he's playing with. Not sure how to snap him out of it, but I hope Lindblom/Coots offense doesn't dry up.

Also - I think Elliott is the worst puck-handling goalie I've ever seen on the Flyers. It's a freakin' adventure every time he plays the puck.

But we beat a division rival in REGULATION! Let's keep 'er rollin!

hqdefault.jpg

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
So you think he had a good game.

Since I didn't get a reply to this, lets take the statline out of it. Voracek was a passenger all night as Couturier tried to drag his corpse around all night.

He took stupid penalties, gave up awful turnovers and I can't remember him actually winning a puck battle along the boards. He genuinely looks unfit and the last 15 seconds of his shifts are brutal.

He needs to sort himself out or the flyers need to look at moving him before he becomes a Simmonds situation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Since I didn't get a reply to this, lets take the statline out of it. Voracek was a passenger all night as Couturier tried to drag his corpse around all night.

He took stupid penalties, gave up awful turnovers and I can't remember him actually winning a puck battle along the boards. He genuinely looks unfit and the last 15 seconds of his shifts are brutal.

He needs to sort himself out or the flyers need to look at moving him before he becomes a Simmonds situation.

Thanks Boxscore, I mean BrokenStix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad