Line Combos: '22-'23 Roster & Line Combos

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Why Zadina over Perron? Perron is the better player.
spread it out a bit.

i personally think zadina takes off a bit this year. new coach, having faith.

1) Fabbri is on LTIR for who knows how long.
2) Perron has zero chance of taking a back seat to Zadina for role or playing time.
Fabbri probably only till November if i had to guess but i get it.

i did that to spread stuff out and i think zadina rebounds.,

ill be in the 1% that has faith in him to make a push.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I'd like to see diff. strats on PP & PK. Looking forward to all the coaches systems.

PP1 - Umbrella 3F (L/R + net front Bert)-1(Bumper-Larkin)-1D (Mid ice, high slot Seider)

Bert
Larkin-Vrana/Ray
Seider

PP2- traditional 3F-2D (L/R Point)

Perron-Copp (net/bumper/slot)-Vrana/Ray

Edvin - Hronek (these 2 can/should switch sides constantly to confuse & open up lanes) a la Lidstrom - Rafalski !!

Jesus, it felt good to type that. Go on, give it a whirl, fun times ahead folks.

PK

Ras-Sundqvist
Suter-Veleno

Larkin & Bert -only if trailing after 1st/2nd period. Don't wanna risk injury. Train Zadina/Erne to PK if they're still here.

PK
Chiarot - Seider
Maatta -Lindstrom/Pysyk
Walman - Lind/Pysyk (when playing)

Edvin - Hronek save these 2 for 5on5 & PP2.

AlJo - (guessing probably starts in GR)

BOOM!!
I’d like to see

PP1

——-Bertuzzi
Ray-Larkin- Kubalik
——-Seider

Pp2

———-—Copp
Perron-Zadina-Vrana
——Hronek/Edvinsson

spread it out a bit.

i personally think zadina takes off a bit this year. new coach, having faith.

Fabbri probably only till November if i had to guess but i get it.

i did that to spread stuff out and i think zadina rebounds.,

ill be in the 1% that has faith in him to make a push.
Me and you both baby. Still have faith

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Based on today's presser, Yzerman saying to temper expectations for Ed making the roster (doesn't mean he doesn't have an opportunity still)

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Vrana - Copp - Perron
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
Rasmussen - Veleno - Sundqvist
Erne, Smith

Chiarot - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Pysyk - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Husso
Nedeljkovic

IR: Fabbri, Walman

D is a little rough if Ed can't be a top 4 guy this year, but the offense is solid. Hopefully Berggren can push a guy like Zadina out. I like that 4th line, could develop into a good shutdown lime that can score every now and then.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Based on today's presser, Yzerman saying to temper expectations for Ed making the roster (doesn't mean he doesn't have an opportunity still)

Vrana - Copp - Perron
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
Erne, Smith

Chiarot - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Pysyk - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Husso
Nedeljkovic

D is a little rough if Ed can't be a top 4 guy this year, but the offense is solid. Hopefully Berggren can push a guy like Zadina out. I like that 4th line, could develop into a good shutdown lime that can score every now and then.
Edvinsson is one of the 3 best LDs in this organization. They’re not going to run two RDs on the 3rd pair to keep Edvinsson off the roster.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Edvinsson is one of the 3 best LDs in this organization. They’re not going to run two RDs on the 3rd pair to keep Edvinsson off the roster.
I agree. Just a hypothetical of a roster with no Ed. I think Yzerman is just tempering the hype but still knows Ed will probably earn that spot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree. Just a hypothetical of a roster with no Ed. I think Yzerman is just tempering the hype but still knows Ed will probably earn that spot.
I think he is just trying to say there is going to be competition for spots.

Pysysk vs Lindstrom might be a legitimate competition.
But I don't really see Edvinsson vs Oesterle being a legitimate competition.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I’d like to see

PP1

——-Bertuzzi
Ray-Larkin- Kubalik
——-Seider

Pp2

———-—Copp
Perron-Zadina-Vrana
——Hronek/Edvinsson

Me and you both baby. Still have faith

I'd swap Kubalik for Perron. He would have led Detroit forwards in powerplay points last year. PP2 guys generally get 10 or fewer powerplay points. Why waste that weapon there?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I'd swap Kubalik for Perron. He would have led Detroit forwards in powerplay points last year. PP2 guys generally get 10 or fewer powerplay points. Why waste that weapon there?
him and Raymond both are on the Left half wall. Raymond could play on the right side with him. But generally like a lefty over there.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Seider makes anyone look great and Hronek needs as much D support as possible to best utilize his strengths, so I would put Määttä with Seider and Chiarot with Hronek. If we don't make the playoffs, Määttä could get a nice return after spending the year paired with Seider.

I think Edvinsson absolutely has the ability to play regular minutes next season but if he has a slow start at camp he could end up spending at least the first half in GR. Yzerman seems to prefer keeping the young kids in GR and calling up older players to fill gaps. I believe Seider benefited massively from two full years at the AHL/SHL level despite having the ability to play in the NHL maybe even right after being drafted.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Vrana - Copp - Perron
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
Erne, Smith

Chiarot - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Pysyk - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Husso
Nedeljkovic

Vrana likes to play on the right, Perron likes to play on the left. Not sure I'd want 2 guys playing opposite side.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Vrana
Raymond - Copp - Perron
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
Rasmussen - Sundqvist - Erne
Smith

As much as I hate Raz, Erne, and Zadina, they will get priority because Joey and Berggren are waivers exempt. Erne and Smith will be gone the following season.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Vrana likes to play on the right, Perron likes to play on the left. Not sure I'd want 2 guys playing opposite side.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Vrana
Raymond - Copp - Perron
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
Rasmussen - Sundqvist - Erne
Smith

As much as I hate Raz, Erne, and Zadina, they will get priority because Joey and Berggren are waivers exempt. Erne and Smith will be gone the following season.
If Yzerman thinks Veleno is better than Erne or Smith (which he is) he will waive one of them. Veleno can be a good 4th liner.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Yzerman thinks Veleno is better than Erne or Smith (which he is) he will waive one of them. Veleno can be a good 4th liner.
Contract year for Erne so he'll probably play like he gives a shit. That guy will never get another contract longer than one year for the rest of his career.

Veleno is a good 4th liner but he needs to be more, plus GR needs the help anyways. The one guy that doesn't fit anywhere is Zadina. If he continues with his defensive gaffes he'll wind up in Lalonde's doghouse.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
3 righties on the back triangle is deadly. There's just many ways to build it.

I can bet 10 000 dollars that Perron is at 1st unit. Raymond is the playmaker and Seider on point.
Unit 1: Bert net front, Larkin right halfwall so he can use his shot, Raymond bumper so he can use his quick release and small area game and quick processor, and receive dishes from Larkin, Perron left halfwall, Seider point.

You've got the Seider to Perron threat as well as the Larkin to Raymond threat, and then Raymond can make a quick pass to Perron if he doesn't like his shooting options.

Unit 2: Copp net front, Vrana bumper, Kubalik right halfwall, Hronek left halfwall, Edvinsson point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings players points per game without the UFA signings

Team with UFAs vs. Team without UFAs
----------------------------
Perron 0.93 > Bertuzzi 0.90
Bertuzzi 0.90 > Vrana 0.81
Vrana 0.81 > Larkin 0.80
-------------------------
Larkin 0.80 > Raymond 0.70
Copp 0.72 > Fabbri 0.56
Raymond 0.70 > Suter 0.46
-----------------------
Fabbri 0.56 > Namestnikov 0.42
Kubalik 0.52 > Gagner 0.38
Suter 0.46 > Zadina 0.35
Sunqvist 0.44 > Rasmussen 0.32

Every player on the Top10 is better. This makes huge things when things will cumulate.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Red Wings players points per game without the UFA signings

Team with UFAs vs. Team without UFAs
----------------------------
Perron 0.93 > Bertuzzi 0.90
Bertuzzi 0.90 > Vrana 0.81
Vrana 0.81 > Larkin 0.80
-------------------------
Larkin 0.80 > Raymond 0.70
Copp 0.72 > Fabbri 0.56
Raymond 0.70 > Suter 0.46
-----------------------
Fabbri 0.56 > Namestnikov 0.42
Kubalik 0.52 > Gagner 0.38
Suter 0.46 > Zadina 0.35
Sunqvist 0.44 > Rasmussen 0.32

Every player on the Top10 is better. This makes huge things when things will cumulate.
I've been saying for a year that plugging free agents into the second and third line will make the entire roster better by pushing guys down into their proper slots.

Vrana-Copp-Perron, Kubalik-Suter-Zadina is a much better middle six than anything we iced this season, and if we are in playoff position in March we have enough cap space to add.

I could see Zadina having a good year by being paired with Kubalik and Suter on the third line and facing other team's third and fourth lines and third defense pairings. In addition, Rasmussen-Veleno-Sundqvist is going to be a really good energy line.

I'm not terribly thrilled with Chiarot or Maatta as our D signings, but they are at least established NHLers.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I've been saying for a year that plugging free agents into the second and third line will make the entire roster better by pushing guys down into their proper slots.

Vrana-Copp-Perron, Kubalik-Suter-Zadina is a much better middle six than anything we iced this season, and if we are in playoff position in March we have enough cap space to add.

I could see Zadina having a good year by being paired with Kubalik and Suter on the third line and facing other team's third and fourth lines and third defense pairings. In addition, Rasmussen-Veleno-Sundqvist is going to be a really good energy line.

I'm not terribly thrilled with Chiarot or Maatta as our D signings, but they are at least established NHLers.
That 4th line might be my favorite. Yzerman has sure as hell turned around this team in one off season. If SE turns into a Seider like defenseman, we could be really good team.

Reactions: Ulysses31

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
:wings

• Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
  • Vrána - Copp - Perron
  • Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
  • Erne - Fabbri - Sundqvist
    ---
  • Chiarot - Seider
  • Määttä - Hronek
  • Edvinsson - Pysyk
    ---
  • Husso
  • Nedeljkovic

This puts Rasmussen and Veleno in the press box. They're competing with Erne, Fabbri, and Sundqvist for jobs at this point, so it could be any of those guys sitting it out (or moved). This is also assuming Edvinsson beats out Walman and makes the starting roster out of camp. This too assumes Berggren doesn't force his way into the lineup. There isn't room for everyone, but that kind of depth is nice to have. It's been a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zettersyukstrom

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
:wings

• Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
  • Vrána - Copp - Perron
  • Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
  • Erne - Fabbri - Sundqvist
    ---
  • Chiarot - Seider
  • Määttä - Hronek
  • Edvinsson - Pysyk
    ---
  • Husso
  • Nedeljkovic

This puts Rasmussen and Veleno in the press box. They're competing with Erne, Fabbri, and Sundqvist for jobs at this point, so it could be any of those guys sitting it out (or moved). This is also assuming Edvinsson beats out Walman and makes the starting roster out of camp. This too assumes Berggren doesn't force his way into the lineup. There isn't room for everyone, but that kind of depth is nice to have. It's been a while.
I like except I am almost certain Berggren makes the team out of camp. I see him either centering the 4th or playing wing on the third to start.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm not a Zadina hater, but he's been given essentially every opportunity you could ask for and he simply refuses to produce points. He's played on the top line with Larkin, he's played in more sheltered third line roles, played on the powerplay, etc.

I'm open-minded to seeing how he looks under Lalonde, but at this point I don't see how you can put his lack of production on anyone but Zadina himself. Detroit just might not be the place for him to find NHL success, if he can in fact find NHL success.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I'm not a Zadina hater, but he's been given essentially every opportunity you could ask for and he simply refuses to produce points. He's played on the top line with Larkin, he's played in more sheltered third line roles, played on the powerplay, etc.

I'm open-minded to seeing how he looks under Lalonde, but at this point I don't see how you can put his lack of production on anyone but Zadina himself. Detroit just might not be the place for him to find NHL success, if he can in fact find NHL success.
Pretty sad, considering how many bad 1st round picks were made by the Wings under certain "regime".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad