Perro - Copp - Zad
Ern - Joey V - Luff

Ed - Mo
Chia - Fil
Olli - whoever sucks the least that isn't Lindstrom

Husso every 4 of 5

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Anything would be better than Chiarot - Seider at this point. I don’t believe Chiarot is specifically the reason Seider has been bad so far this season, but Seider clearly defers to Chiarot way too much with the puck, especially in our end. Mo needs to be more aggressive with his zone exits, because right now it feels like most of our breakouts are Chiarot just wildly wiring the puck around the boards.

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hope Walman will give some new spark/options/mix for the Left-side D.

Määttä is so good, that maybe he should carry Lindström?

Walman with Seider? Chiarot with Hronek?

So new mix is needed. That 3rd pair just won't work without strong bottom6 lines, and we have too many forwards injuries to have strong bottom6. Just too thin now.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hope Walman will give some new spark/options/mix for the Left-side D.

Määttä is so good, that maybe he should carry Lindström?

Walman with Seider? Chiarot with Hronek?

So new mix is needed. That 3rd pair just won't work without strong bottom6 lines, and we have too many forwards injuries to have strong bottom6. Just too thin now.
And I hope Walman can play the right side so we never have to see Lindstrom again.

Edvinsson is the key here. Shuffling 6th/7th/8th level defensemen isn't going to make a difference.

Ed - Mo
Chia - Hronek
Olli - Walman/Pysyk/whoever

Let Mo, Chia, and Olli carry a pairing each. The 3rd pairing is too much of a dumpster fire, even at just 15 minutes a night, to be able to stack our top 4.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Anything would be better than Chiarot - Seider at this point. I don’t believe Chiarot is specifically the reason Seider has been bad so far this season, but Seider clearly defers to Chiarot way too much with the puck, especially in our end. Mo needs to be more aggressive with his zone exits, because right now it feels like most of our breakouts are Chiarot just wildly wiring the puck around the boards.
Bingo.

Example 1,000 why the Chiarot signing was so bad. Knew it the moment he was signed that it would hurt Seider immensely.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Bingo.

Example 1,000 why the Chiarot signing was so bad. Knew it the moment he was signed that it would hurt Seider immensely.
Chiarot is perfectly fine. Just not next to Seider. I've been skeptical of that pairing since pre-season and saw how much Chia was activating and how much Mo was deferring.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Chiarot is perfectly fine. Just not next to Seider. I've been skeptical of that pairing since pre-season and saw how much Chia was activating and how much Mo was deferring.
My main problem with the team has been how the defense is used. I'm fine with forwards being coached to be responsible. In a way that can create a ton of offense by creating counterattack. However, the D is playing so passive they're taking themselves out of the play, except for Chiarot, who should be one of the last guys activating.
I see Lalonde wants to create that Tampa counterattack system, which I can get behind, but to do so you need to have active D.
Seider needs to play with Maatta and be told he can activate whenever he feels it's right. That's my one change I'd make.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Bingo.

The good news is Chiarot's been great so far and can be moved to a different pairing if he's actually hurting Seider's game, which is a claim I'm very skeptical of.

Reactions: izlez and SoupNazi

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
My main problem with the team has been how the defense is used. I'm fine with forwards being coached to be responsible. In a way that can create a ton of offense by creating counterattack. However, the D is playing so passive they're taking themselves out of the play, except for Chiarot, who should be one of the last guys activating.
I see Lalonde wants to create that Tampa counterattack system, which I can get behind, but to do so you need to have active D.
Seider needs to play with Maatta and be told he can activate whenever he feels it's right. That's my one change I'd make.
With as horrific as the 3rd pairing has been, I don't think we can afford to combine any of Mo, Chia, Maatta. Pair them with Ed, Hronek, and whoever the least awful defenseman remaining is.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The good news is Chiarot's been great so far and can be moved to a different pairing if he's actually hurting Seider's game, which is a claim I'm very skeptical of.
Skeptical indeed.

Seider being castrated by Chiarot's game while Lalonde and management just stand by, oblivious or dumbfounded, seems pretty far-fetched to me. More likely, Seider's role is being defined by the coaching staff. For whatever reason. But his play style is deliberate. This is surely upsetting to many if true. Which brings me full circle to the hashtag I started on July 1....

#firelalonde.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Skeptical indeed.

Seider being castrated by Chiarot's game while Lalonde and management just stand by, oblivious or dumbfounded, seems pretty far-fetched to me. More likely, Seider's role is being defined by the coaching staff. For whatever reason. But his play style is deliberate. This is surely upsetting to many if true. Which brings me full circle to the hashtag I started on July 1....

#firelalonde.
You've never seen this organization stick stubbornly to something that isn't really working? Really?

Chiarot/Seider and Maatta/Hronek were etched into stone as pairings the moment Chiarot and Maatta signed. Never once has that changed barring post-special teams oddities or imperfect shift changes. Not in practices (per reporter write-ups), not in preseason games, not in regular season games. I find that curious to say the very least that sight unseen pairings crafted via free agency just happen to be the most optimal without any tinkering. If there is a grand role-defining scheme going on here, it's not a role Seider should be playing.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Right now I'd go with

Määttä - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Hägg - Chiarot (listed as LD/RD, so just try this)

Get Walman in for Hagg, when healthy.

But I'm not even sure we should blame Chiarot. It's the coaches job, to explain to Mo, to not defer and carry play on his own. That's not his partner's mistake. What's Chiarot supposed to do? Pass it right back to Mo whenever he gets it? :dunno:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You've never seen this organization stick stubbornly to something that isn't really working? Really?

Chiarot/Seider and Maatta/Hronek were etched into stone as pairings the moment Chiarot and Maatta signed. Never once has that changed barring post-special teams oddities or imperfect shift changes. Not in practices (per reporter write-ups), not in preseason games, not in regular season games. I find that curious to say the very least that sight unseen pairings crafted via free agency just happen to be the most optimal without any tinkering. If there is a grand role-defining scheme going on here, it's not a role Seider should be playing.
They stick stubbornly to something that isn't working from the fan's perspective, sure. I hate to damage anyone's ego around here, but our opinions, even if they are a near-consensus on the forum, are not always right, not always the reality, and especially not always in agreement with the opinions of the coaches/management.

If they want Seider playing a certain way, perhaps they have a good reason for it. Maybe they don't, we don't know. But my point is that the narrative of, "Seider's game is being ruined and Lalonde is just watching it happen as if he's oblivious" is.... well, it's asinine. There's almost always more to the story that we aren't privy to.

Still. #firelalonde

(btw, the pairings were very much mixed up in preseason, maybe not for extended periods, but Seider played with Maata, and Chiarot played with Hronek)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
But I'm not even sure we should blame Chiarot. It's the coaches job, to explain to Mo, to not defer and carry play on his own. That's not his partner's mistake. What's Chiarot supposed to do? Pass it right back to Mo whenever he gets it? :dunno:
Mo isn't deferring in the sense that he's waiting for Chia to do something. He's deferring in the sense that Chia is already off doing his thing and Mo doing the same would be unwise.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They stick stubbornly to something that isn't working from the fan's perspective, sure. I hate to damage anyone's ego around here, but our opinions, even if they are a near-consensus on the forum, are not always right, not always the reality, and especially not always in agreement with the opinions of the coaches/management.

If they want Seider playing a certain way, perhaps they have a good reason for it. Maybe they don't, we don't know. But my point is that the narrative of, "Seider's game is being ruined and Lalonde is just watching it happen as if he's oblivious" is.... well, it's asinine. There's almost always more to the story that we aren't privy to.

Still. #firelalonde

(btw, the pairings were very much mixed up in preseason, maybe not for extended periods, but Seider played with Maata, and Chiarot played with Hronek)
An appeal to authority is a chickenshit move on a hockey forum. :P

And even then, privy to a grand plan or not. Whatever said plan might be isn't working unless what we are seeing is the intent of said plan. In which case it's a shitty plan.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

And even then, privy to a grand plan or not. Whatever said plan might be isn't working unless what we are seeing is the intent of said plan. In which case it's a shitty plan.
Blaming Chiarot for Seider's slow start is just sort of lazy. He had really high expectations coming into the season and because he hasn't looked good through 9 games, people default to Chiarot as the explanation.

I highly doubt Seider would have looked markedly better so far with DeKeyser's corpse or Oesterle as his partner.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Well, I didn't really appeal to authority though. I said they might have a good reason, but they might not have a good reason. As in, maybe they are wrong. My point wasn't that the coaches are automatically right, it's that they are very likely looking at a number of factors we are not considering, and they are working with a lot more information than we are. By our very nature, as fans, our opinions are based on a lot of assumptions. And we tend to insert our biases while ignoring other factors. The coaches could be wrong, but they are not automatically wrong because Moritz Seider is not getting as many offensive chances as fans would like.

But right or wrong, my point is it is deliberate, yes. There is a plan, yes. Where there is likely a divergence here, between a message board and the coaches, is the criteria that makes the plan good or bad, successful or shitty. Our criteria are probably not quite the same.

In short, you are all wrong :laugh:

Reactions: Ricelund

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Blaming Chiarot for Seider's slow start is just sort of lazy. He had really high expectations coming into the season and because he hasn't looked good through 9 games, people default to Chiarot as the explanation.

I highly doubt Seider would have looked markedly better so far with DeKeyser's corpse or Oesterle as his partner.
It's not blaming. Chiarot is not at fault here. I like what Chiarot is doing. It's a pleasant surprise if you will. What I don't like is that it leaves Seider with little to do out on the ice. If Chiarot is activating, which he's doing basically every shift. Mo can't, or more accurately, shouldn't. And he's not. Which is what a good partner is supposed to do when one them activates. What this leaves us with is a young wanting to be active defender that's not activating. We are wasting Seider's capabilities when we could be utilizing them on a different pairing.

Last season would lead me to believe otherwise.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well, I didn't really appeal to authority though. I said they might have a good reason, but they might not have a good reason. As in, maybe they are wrong. My point wasn't that the coaches are automatically right, it's that they are very likely looking at a number of factors we are not considering, and they are working with a lot more information than we are. By our very nature, as fans, our opinions are based on a lot of assumptions. And we tend to insert our biases while ignoring other factors. The coaches could be wrong, but they are not automatically wrong because Moritz Seider is not getting as many offensive chances as fans would like.

But right or wrong, my point is it is deliberate, yes. There is a plan, yes. Where there is likely a divergence here, between a message board and the coaches, is the criteria that makes the plan good or bad, successful or shitty. Our criteria are probably not quite the same.

In short, you are all wrong :laugh:
Correct. You didn't type the words, "I appeal to the Red Wings' Management and Coaching Staff's Authority!"

That's about as much wiggle room as I'll allow.

WE are all wrong. Unless your #firelalonde schtick is just a ruse to score a free paycheck without doing any work as you are in fact Derek Lalonde.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Correct. You didn't type the words, "I appeal to the Red Wings' Management and Coaching Staff's Authority!"

That's about as much wiggle room as I'll allow.

WE are all wrong. Unless your #firelalonde schtick is just a ruse to score a free paycheck without doing any work as you are in fact Derek Lalonde.
Haha.

I did deliberately add the line about the coaches possibly being wrong to stress that it's not an appeal to authority. My "In short, you are all wrong" line was a joke, hence the laughing emoji. By admitting that the authority might be wrong, I am literally not appealing to authority. Rather, I am illustrating that you're all dumb. Ok, I'm kidding again. But I demand more wiggle room.

As an aside, my #firelalonde shtick is simply because I knew there would be people calling for his firing hilariously early, and I wanted to get in on the ground floor. So I hashtagged that shit the day he was hired. first.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
You could get somethin of value for Sunny if we’re out of the hunt by playoff time and *he’s healthy*. Same with Erne

Kasper and berggren makes the move up
2023 healthy squad

Edvinsson and Johansson/wallinder up

Healthy 2023 Team

Bertuzzi Larkin Raymond
Vrana Kasper Perron
Copp Rasmussen Soderblom - Shutdown line
Kubalik Veleno Berggren/Zadina

Edvinsson Seider
Maataa Hronek
Chiarot Wallinder/Johansson

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You could get somethin of value for Sunny if we’re out of the hunt by playoff time and *he’s healthy*. Same with Erne

Kasper and berggren makes the move up
2023 healthy squad

Edvinsson and Johansson/wallinder up

Healthy 2023 Team

Bertuzzi Larkin Raymond
Vrana Kasper Perron
Copp Rasmussen Soderblom - Shutdown line
Kubalik Veleno Berggren/Zadina

Edvinsson Seider
Maataa Hronek
Chiarot Wallinder/Johansson
Have you seen their ES GA/60? That tandem just gives away goals. Swap them with Joe and Zadina and have Copp - Veleno - Zadina be the shutdown line and put Bergy with Ras and Soda as a scoring line.

I don't see Bertuzzi being long for this team. And Kubalik on the 4th?

I like the D pairings (for THIS season). Once Ed gets comfy you can split him and Mo up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

1667337402350.png

There's really no difference for Seider from last season and Seider from this season. Expect missing point-scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad