Line Combos: '22-'23 Roster & Line Combos

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
IDR who made the post but someone touched on the difference between Seider's passes to Perron and Hronek's passes to Perron on the PP. Hronek just puts it in his wheelhouse perfectly almost every time it seems, and that one goal he assisted to him was flawless in terms of deception and location. Seider is a great PP player but right now the staff seems to agree that Hronek can just find that spot better right now.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
In general I agree with you. And the PP did look very dangerous.

However, I would like to see them play a good team before declaring the PP issues solved.

When it comes to Seider / Raymond, I think it's a good spot to be in to play on PP2. Especially when PP1 is working well.
No pressure to produce, so they can try stuff out, from PP1 they get a blue-print on how it should look. (For example, I think Raymond has a tendancy to slow down the PP to much, and Seider has a tendancy to shoot the puck too often).
Only downside is the obvious low PP-TOI.
i’ve noticed that too. Too many times this season Seider will throw a muff 5 seconds after having it in the zone on the pp. Generally without a screen.

Reactions: haulinbass

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
IDR who made the post but someone touched on the difference between Seider's passes to Perron and Hronek's passes to Perron on the PP. Hronek just puts it in his wheelhouse perfectly almost every time it seems, and that one goal he assisted to him was flawless in terms of deception and location. Seider is a great PP player but right now the staff seems to agree that Hronek can just find that spot better right now.

Hronek has started out the season better than Seider, very true. Seider will get his groove back. It's just a matter of time. Seider has typically been the better passer between Hronek and himself. I'm not sure why his passes have seemed to miss the mark so much this season when last year and as a prospect his passing precision was Seider's calling card.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Perron has shown he deserves to be on PP1, and the players that have the best chemistry with him should be on PP1. If it's Hronek, I have no issues. Hronek also has a harder slap shot though the accuracy has been questionable since his sophomore season. Not sure what happened there....

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I really hate seeing Copp get dogged so much this early. I think the RW should have actually let him sit a few games to get in better shape. It looks to me as if the core surgery is still affecting him. Just look at his face off percentage. He has been a steady 50% plus his entire career and right now he's around 35%. He also looks hesitant in contact situations. So, I'm thinking he may still need some time off to fully recoup.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really hate seeing Copp get dogged so much this early. I think the RW should have actually let him sit a few games to get in better shape. It looks to me as if the core surgery is still affecting him. Just look at his face off percentage. He has been a steady 50% plus his entire career and right now he's around 35%. He also looks hesitant in contact situations. So, I'm thinking he may still need some time off to fully recoup.

Yeah, I won't take any opinion about Copp until after 10 games. He's bad yeah, but there's a reason for it. Injury. Some injuries could take even more to get back to normal game shape and rebuild trust to your body.

Reactions: gritdash60

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Ok i see people here trashing Copp. And while Copp hasn't been the best and he looks like he's playing hurt he really isn't the problem. Against faster teams the D corp seems to have one play, and that's glass and out, and when they don't do it they get burned.

I'm not acting like i have the solution here, but i would try Suter as 2C for now, before Copp figures it out / heals or whatever he needs to do. But what's the solution on the defenders being slow on the puck retrieval and giving shit first passes?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
To me the biggest problem is that Wings defenders look like they are in panic mode all the time the puck is in their end, apart from Seider and Chiarot. And to the people who trashtalked Chiarot and said he is slow and whatever, he probably looks the most comfortable out there, even more so than Seider.

To me especially Hronek and Hägg look like they have no f***ing idea what they are doing in their own end, especially when the puck is dumped in. Then again my take could be complete bullshit and some dude comes in with a JFresh stat where DeKeyser is what we need, this is the time where we live in.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
To me the biggest problem is that Wings defenders look like they are in panic mode all the time the puck is in their end, apart from Seider and Chiarot. And to the people who trashtalked Chiarot and said he is slow and whatever, he probably looks the most comfortable out there, even more so than Seider.

To me especially Hronek and Hägg look like they have no f***ing idea what they are doing in their own end, especially when the puck is dumped in. Then again my take could be complete bullshit and some dude comes in with a JFresh stat where DeKeyser is what we need, this is the time where we live in.
Sparrow mentioned it in a different thread, but the solution is probably swapping Maatta and Chiarot. Chiarot does a lot of subtle things such as getting in the way of the forechecker without contact to buy his partner time. That obviously would help Hronek more than Seider.

The fix for the third pair is Edvinsson, but that might not happen until next season.

I don't think Chiarot cares if he gives the puck away, to him that's just another excuse to hit someone, lol. The only issue with his play so far is that he doesn't track the puck well in the crease, like he doesn't want to get caught looking down. Couple of goals he could have prevented this season if he knew where the puck was.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Sparrow mentioned it in a different thread, but the solution is probably swapping Maatta and Chiarot. Chiarot does a lot of subtle things such as getting in the way of the forechecker without contact to buy his partner time. That obviously would help Hronek more than Seider.

The fix for the third pair is Edvinsson, but that might not happen until next season.

I don't think Chiarot cares if he gives the puck away, to him that's just another excuse to hit someone, lol. The only issue with his play so far is that he doesn't track the puck well in the crease, like he doesn't want to get caught looking down. Couple of goals he could have prevented this season if he knew where the puck was.
Agree 100%, why not try Edvinsson then? It's not like Wings 3rd pairing is good as is?

About Chiarot, yeah he focuses on the physical side of things, but i dont mind some mishaps when he at least looks comfortable in the d zone, some of these players really don't.

As my all time favorite player (alongside Datsyuk, yeah i know really similar players!) Ville Nieminen said "i got used to the style of hockey when someone tries to hit you, you can crosscheck him to the forehead". And no i'm not promoting violence or wanna go back to 90's clutch and grab era, just saying that these guys need to get comfortable out there instead of looking like they fear to touch the puck in the d zone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Agree, that Edvinsson is the answer for 3rd pair.

But also, was very surprised of these WAR ratings from JFresh player cards:

1666820021231.png

1666820065428.png

1666820117004.png

1666820172531.png

1666820210138.png

We need to check Jake Walman first. With this good team, and not with that last season mess.

I want to see this Yzerman's moneyball-game. He has picked those good guys from here and there, one-by-one, Fabbri, Vrana, Nedeljkovic, Suter, Sundqvist, Walman, Husso, Copp, Määttä, Chiarot, Perron and Kubalik,

It's unbelieveable list, and every guy seems to make our team better.

There's two guys, available for the 3rd pair, who have really impressive numbers. Walman and Pysyk. I don't really get where does these great WAR-numbers come from. Maybe they won't transfer, but I want to see it first.

Hägg and Lindström are pure crap (both 14% WAR) compared to these.

Last edited:
Reactions: evolutionbaby

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Agree, that Edvinsson is the answer for 3rd pair.

But also, was very surprised of these WAR ratings from JFresh player cards:

View attachment 599226
View attachment 599227
View attachment 599228
View attachment 599230
View attachment 599231

We need to check Jake Walman first. With this good team, and not with that last season mess.

I want to see this Yzerman's moneyball-game. He has picked those good guys from here and there, one-by-one, Fabbri, Vrana, Nedeljkovic, Suter, Sundqvist, Walman, Husso, Copp, Määttä, Chiarot, Perron and Kubalik,

It's unbelieveable list, and every guy seems to make our team better.

There's two guys, available for the 3rd pair, who have really impressive numbers. Walman and Pysyk. I don't really get where does these great WAR-numbers come from. Maybe they won't transfer, but I want to see it first.

Hägg and Lindström are pure crap (both 14% WAR) compared to these.
I said it earlier, Yzerman is really good at identifying guys that just need bigger opportunities.
Most of the guys people say need a better chance are really just not good enough to cut it. Zadina so far, Jurco, Ouellet, Pulkkinen, etc. But there are a few that have IT and Yzerman can pick that out with ease.
Year 1 when we had nothing he went with the casting a wide net strategy, bringing in guys like Perlini, Comrie, Madison Bowey, Alex Biega, and Dmytro Timashov. A lot of failures, but out of it we got Robby Fabbri.
The next year he brings in Vrana who had been in the doghouse in Washington.
Last year was Sundqvist and Walman.

What's the thing these guys have in common? Depth defensemen, scoring wingers, grinders, they're the guys that good teams use in aggregate.

Then you look at his draft strategy. Besides Raymond, a scoring winger, our high draft capital is being used on potential top pair dmen or top 6 centers.
The guys you can't replace in aggregate.

It's starting to come together that this is his strategy. Go homegrown for the major core pieces since that's the least costly way to get them, and then fill out the rest with his ability to identify underutilized talent.

I'm not going to proclaim that Raymond will never be an elite winger, that's a different discussion, but for the sake of this say he hovers around 50 points for his career. It'll be disappointing, but I won't be concerned because I know Yzerman will be able to find a bunch of guys like that so lines 1-3 all have legitimate scoring threats.

Reactions: Realgud and Henkka

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
having kadri over copp right now would be sweet, I think DRW would be more like 5-1. he has that tkachuk factor and just makes things happen.

EDIT: that said expecting/hoping copp to find his offensive game sooner or later.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I don't think Chiarot cares if he gives the puck away, to him that's just another excuse to hit someone
:laugh: Chiarot is worth every penny.

What is timeline for them? Walman was skating already.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
having kadri over copp right now would be sweet, I think DRW would be more like 5-1. he has that tkachuk factor and just makes things happen.

EDIT: that said expecting/hoping copp to find his offensive game sooner or later.
Sure, but Kadri fits a lot worse with our core in terms of age/contract. As disappointing as the early play of Copp has been, ideally he's a 3rd liner by the time we're competing.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sure, but Kadri fits a lot worse with our core in terms of age/contract. As disappointing as the early play of Copp has been, ideally he's a 3rd liner by the time we're competing.

We are already competing, but maybe you mean that "when we reach our organizational peak, with Kasper, Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson and Cossa nearer of their prime." ;)

When Copp in 32 and at last year of his 5-year contract:

Larkin is 30
Hronek is 28
Seider is 25
Söderblom is 25
Raymond is 24
Edvinsson is 23
Cossa is 23
Kasper is 22
etc.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We are already competing, but maybe you mean that "when we reach our organizational peak, with Kasper, Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson and Cossa nearer of their prime." ;)
It's too early to say if we will be truly competitive this season. Still feels like it will be an up and down season.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What is timeline for them? Walman was skating already.
On the 20th, Walman was seen practising without a non-contact jersey. That's the latest update I could find. I agree that Walman instead of Hagg or Lindstrom is an upgrade, even if it's only for his speed and wicked shot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Send Luff back down, and call up Czarnik for a right handed center.
Fester likes bigger players, he won't be calling up Czarnik or Crisco unless one of the centers go down. Plus Smith will get sent down before Luff.

My lines:
Warm body - Larkin - Raymond
Warm body - Warm body - Warm body

PP1
Perron - Warm body - Warm body
Warm body - Warm body

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad