Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Oh yes a player can sign in advance of arbitration. My question was more along the line of can an arbitration eligible player turn down his arbitration rights, and instead try his luck in the regular RFA market. Obviously one they chose arbitration, then no other team can talk to them about a contract
A player can't turn down arbitration. But arbitration isn't automatic. If a player wants it he has to choose to take the team to arbitration.

If the team wanted it, they have to choose to take the player to arbitration.

No one can escape arbitration if the other side chooses to take them. And you still remain RFA.

Arbitration isn't what it use to be. All it is now is a deadline to get a deal done before someone makes the deal for you.

I’m glad Jimmy can listen to Elliotte Friedman and write an article about what Elliotte’s opinion is. Because that’s all this is.
What did I miss?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I just don't see why he takes under 4m to play 2/5th's of the games and no playoff games. For a competitive guy it's a weird setup. He'd also largely be inheriting the team when it's truly in the retool/rebuild phase (however you want to call it). So arbitration certainly seems like something he'd be in great shape to get paid on.
But haven't they been "retooling" for years, and not suppose to be competitive ?
The big question marks are obvious in Bergeron and Krejci.
Zacha can replace Krejci. Yes they are not equal, but is it that much of a drop off ?
So now you are down to replacing Bergeron, which is huge
for multiple reasons.
- His salary does not match his skill level, so when he retires, to replace him will require a 4 to 5 million bump in salary.
- There only is 1 Patrice Bergeron
- Replacing the captain and a lot of the team identity.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I have no issue with it but I figured the Bruins fans that cried when it was done to them by Feaster and Iginla would have, but then again it’s this place
It’s all business, just like anything in life. Don’t count your eggs until they hatch.

With Iginla I thought it was he himself who killed the trade? It’s honestly neither here nor there at this point.

Reactions: Gee Wally

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Two different situations

Feaster asked Iginla before the deadline and he told him he'd waive for LA, Boston, or Pittsburgh. Feaster goes out and negotiates the best deal he can, shakes on it, tells Iginla, Iggy goes Syke, I'm not waiving for anyone but Pittsburgh.

Jarmo and Don work out the bones of a trade, Jarmo refuses to take on Reilly or Smith in salary back, so Don says fine, give me a week to work out a cap solution, in the meanwhile Jarmo's talking to other teams and by the time Sweeney finds an interested party for Smith in Washington, they've also put Orlov on the market so he can just do one-stop shopping. If Columbus wanted the trade that bad, they'd have taken on some money or facilitated the deal somehow. Jarmo wanted to play hardball and played himself.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Two different situations

Feaster asked Iginla before the deadline and he told him he'd waive for LA, Boston, or Pittsburgh. Feaster goes out and negotiates the best deal he can, shakes on it, tells Iginla, Iggy goes Syke, I'm not waiving for anyone but Pittsburgh.

Jarmo and Don work out the bones of a trade, Jarmo refuses to take on Reilly or Smith in salary back, so Don says fine, give me a week to work out a cap solution, in the meanwhile Jarmo's talking to other teams and by the time Sweeney finds an interested party for Smith in Washington, they've also put Orlov on the market so he can just do one-stop shopping. If Columbus wanted the trade that bad, they'd have taken on some money or facilitated the deal somehow. Jarmo wanted to play hardball and played himself.
If he asked for and received assurance that he'd have the chance to try and match a deal then it'd be a different story.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I just don't see why he takes under 4m to play 2/5th's of the games and no playoff games. For a competitive guy it's a weird setup. He'd also largely be inheriting the team when it's truly in the retool/rebuild phase (however you want to call it). So arbitration certainly seems like something he'd be in great shape to get paid on.
We’ll, if I’m another team, I don’t jump the gun on a goalie that’s playing for the best team in the league. Is it him or the team?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Honestly this whole Jarmo/Sweeney thing just makes me like Don more.

I don't know about that, but if you check the article, EF said more than a few teams were unhappy with the negotiating tactics of their GM brethren, and this development has nothing to do with the B's.

If I were Jarmo I'd be pissed, too.

Thing is, managers are a small club. If one manager screws another manager, no one forgets, whether or not they forgive. Bad faith comes back to bite you in the ass.

So, if Sweeney acted in bad faith, or proves less than truthful in his dealings with other GM's -- which I honestly don't believe is what happened, or was Sweeney's intent -- you're going to lose more than a few dance partners next time round.

Pretty self-defeating, no?

That's why I don't believe there's much to the story, save legitimate and understandable bruised feelings.

PS: Not that it matters but I was relieved the Bruins did not, in the end, acquire Gavrikov, as I never wanted him anyway.

Delighted with Sweeney's pick up's this trade season,

:bruins:wedgie::cbj

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Two different situations

Sweeney is good at hardball it seems.

Reactions: bbfan419

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hamilton didn’t have any rights either and that didn’t play out to well.

Guessing Sway is a bridge guy 2.5 per 2 years

sure but that was a different situation; Hamilton made it pretty clear he wasn't very interested in staying in Boston, he didn't have good off ice chemistry with the team, and the team was trying to re-tool on the fly. It makes sense to trade a guy that's asking for more to stay that's young and has tons of value given the context of that year

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Posting here because I don't know where else to do so.

I liked The Billerica Kid from the very beginning. They better hold onto him,

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Bruins probably verbally agreed to the CBJ deal but had to move cap. Then Washington became sellers, had a better deal, and things changed.
Don probably knew it would sour some relationships backing out of the verbal agreement. And if he still did it, well our team is better because of it. So thanks Don. We're all in!
Horrible business tactics? Not really. A tad sleezy? Sure. Business be business though

Reactions: goldnblack

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I call BS and for Jarmo to put his big boy pants on and to take his thumb out of his mouth. Jarmo says himself he had an OFFER last I knew an offer is exactly that an offer.

“I’m sure the player (Gavrikov) is disappointed and so are we,” Jarmo Kekalainen said after Gavrikov sat out his eighth game on Feb. 28. “We would have never taken him out of the lineup unless we had an offer on the table."

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jarmo Kekacryin, amirite?
kekw-kek.gif

Jarmo KEK

Reactions: LavioletteScores

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Two different situations

Curious how many times this happened to Sweeney (on the opposite side of this) in previous years, this year excluded, many others felt like there was always another shoe that was supposed to drop but never did.

I call BS and for Jarmo to put his big boy pants on and to take his thumb out of his mouth. Jarmo says himself he had an OFFER last I knew an offer is exactly that an offer.

“I’m sure the player (Gavrikov) is disappointed and so are we,” Jarmo Kekalainen said after Gavrikov sat out his eighth game on Feb. 28. “We would have never taken him out of the lineup unless we had an offer on the table."
Yea, Columbus seemed like they played hardball with taking a contract (which they ultimately did with Quick anyways), but Bruins found a one stop shopping deal with Washington and pulled the trigger.

Maybe Columbus original offer was too high and the Bruins realized they had a better deal with Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad