Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
With this plan, I would suggest you still need to move two d from Forbort, Gryz and Carlo. Clfton was already gone, but imo we have 4 d with minimum wage rookies and veterans to fill in on the 3rd line. I don't want to lose Hall, but it seems the obvious tradeoff in order to sign Orlov.
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I find it unrealistic that we will move two of Forbort, Gryz, Carlo.

Reilly will certainly be bought out/traded. Cliffy is going to walk and then you trade two more defenseman?

I'm a fan of Gryz but Orlov replaces his puck moving. He is expensive for a 3rd pairing guy and will fetch you a nice return. Forbort is reliable and would be helpful to break in a Zboril/rookie/NCAA free agent type. Carlo just simply isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: bme44

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
With this plan, I would suggest you still need to move two d from Forbort, Gryz and Carlo. Clfton was already gone, but imo we have 4 d with minimum wage rookies and veterans to fill in on the 3rd line. I don't want to lose Hall, but it seems the obvious tradeoff in order to sign Orlov.
Now that there is a new leader in the NHLPA, I am pretty confident that if escrow isn't fully paid back by the end of the season that they will negotiate a cap increase with the league in the $4 million range.

A lot will come down to playoff revenue. $4 million is better than $1 million.

Dom,

Assuming Bergeron returns any idea what numbers he would be asking for next year. Without knowing that us pretend GM's are having a hard time trying to put together a viable roster for next year.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
He will be a pending UFA in the summer when we are talking about. He obviously isn’t now. I dunno. Seems pedantic since we all know the situation.
I guess I just wasn't projecting the conversation into that time frame. Like I said, I get what you're saying from the perspective of that time frame. It just sounded weird to me in the context my brain was putting it in.

Reactions: wintersej

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I doubt he’ll jump right in as even Carlo as you mention played in the ahl first, but you have to remember McAvoy came in during a time when the bruins were not doing well and missing the playoffs. The team and fanbase needed a jolt, putting in the only prospect who could excite people about the future beyond pasta was him.

But lorhei is good and I think he has a good shot of being better than Carlo but similar in terms of lower goals more assists, I think he’s a better skater and can pivot around more quickly which should translate to more offensive output and higher advanced stats numbers for danger zone chances
Didn't mcavoy come in during the playoffs vs Ottawa. Think the b's weren't expected to win, lots of injuries but it went to a long series.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
1 year $2 million plus bonuses. Any contract has to be 1 year for bonuses.

No doubt Bergy wants to play in the 100 anniversary year. It will depend on the health of his father.
dom, is there a difference between $2M base and $775K base? assuming the bonuses get him to the same figure.
obvious benefit to the team, does it matter to the player? maybe the money is delivered later on in season

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Didn't mcavoy come in during the playoffs vs Ottawa. Think the b's weren't expected to win, lots of injuries but it went to a long series.

he did indeed, scored a goal (that was maybe taken back for GI?) too

but at the time the bruins had missed two in a row and the team culture needed a jolt of youth and talent to excite the fan base (they also needed Charlie period due to injuries) so both he and Carlo came in at a time the team was really struggling. I think with our current corps will require lorhei to get some seasoning first. This isn’t to say though that they do save money by getting rid of multiple vets on d and need someone cheap but good right away (history tells me achan or Zboril if he’s still here will get the call up tho) so they put him in but I think based on his play right now there isn’t anything to indicate to me that he should jump right past the AHL.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
he did indeed, scored a goal (that was maybe taken back for GI?) too

but at the time the bruins had missed two in a row and the team culture needed a jolt of youth and talent to excite the fan base (they also needed Charlie period due to injuries) so both he and Carlo came in at a time the team was really struggling. I think with our current corps will require lorhei to get some seasoning first. This isn’t to say though that they do save money by getting rid of multiple vets on d and need someone cheap but good right away (history tells me achan or Zboril if he’s still here will get the call up tho) so they put him in but I think based on his play right now there isn’t anything to indicate to me that he should jump right past the AHL.

I think there was already a youth movement going on at the time. That was right around the time Felger infamously said the Bruins were much too young, then they went on to have a 50 win season and the team made a commercial mocking Felger's talking point. McAvoy, Carlo, Donato, Pasta, Vatrano, DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen, Grz... they were all 23 or younger at that point in time.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Some wishful thinking in here on Swayman's next cap hit. After Pasta's last figure, and Swayman's numbers now, this young man deserves to get paid. And with the amount of teams that need goaltending, I don't think he has any incentive to give the team a break. Nor should he.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some wishful thinking in here on Swayman's next cap hit. After Pasta's last figure, and Swayman's number now, this young man deserves to get paid. And with the amount of teams that need goaltending, I don't think he has any incentive to give the team a break. Nor should he.

But he is not likely to be in the market for other teams, unless the bruins chose to trade him. More likely he goes to arbitration.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Some wishful thinking in here on Swayman's next cap hit. After Pasta's last figure, and Swayman's number now, this young man deserves to get paid. And with the amount of teams that need goaltending, I don't think he has any incentive to give the team a break. Nor should he.
He's welcome to.

He could end up someplace else. Which maybe he's fine with.

He also knows if he plays on a bridge, like his peers he just saw get paid, he will get a hefty pay raise when his time has come.

If he wants his money, I'm sure there are teams willing to give it to him, he just may not be here if he wants his payday now.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He's welcome to.

He also knows if he plays on a bridge, like his peers he just saw get paid, he will get a hefty pay raise when his time has come.

If he wants his money, I'm sure there are teams willing to give it to him, he just may not be here if he wants his payday now.
Playing on a bridge like his peers he saw just get paid means $4M-$4.5M though.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I just don't see why he takes under 4m to play 2/5th's of the games and no playoff games. For a competitive guy it's a weird setup. He'd also largely be inheriting the team when it's truly in the retool/rebuild phase (however you want to call it). So arbitration certainly seems like something he'd be in great shape to get paid on.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's welcome to.

But what other teams are willing to pay him is largely irrelevant. He is arbitration eligible in the offseason. I don't know if any player ever turns down arbitration.

Dom, question for you. Can a player choose not to go to arbitration, and if allowed what happens. Is the player then an ordinary restricted FA, where all the normal RFA rules come into play?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
But what other teams are willing to pay him is largely irrelevant. He is arbitration eligible in the offseason. I don't know if any player ever turns down arbitration.

Dom, question for you. Can a player choose not to go to arbitration, and if allowed what happens. Is the player then an ordinary restricted FA, where all the normal RFA rules come into play?

Not Dom but I am almost positive a player can absolutely waive abirtration if they accept their contract offered. Some may find that easier than spending time over the summer in that process which has a degree of awkwardness for any human

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not Dom but I am almost positive a player can absolutely waive abirtration if they accept their contract offered. Some may find that easier than spending time over the summer in that process which has a degree of awkwardness for any human

Oh yes a player can sign in advance of arbitration. My question was more along the line of can an arbitration eligible player turn down his arbitration rights, and instead try his luck in the regular RFA market. Obviously one they chose arbitration, then no other team can talk to them about a contract

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Oh yes a player can sign in advance of arbitration. My question was more along the line of can an arbitration eligible player turn down his arbitration rights, and instead try his luck in the regular RFA market. Obviously one they chose arbitration, then no other team can talk to them about a contract
I don’t think that would be wise because you’re relying on a team to do an offer sheet as the player

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I’m glad Jimmy can listen to Elliotte Friedman and write an article about what Elliotte’s opinion is. Because that’s all this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad