Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Come July 1st he will be a pending FA. Like when you go into this summer you have to know if you want to sign him next summer and how much it will cost.
Being a UFA after the 23-24 season does not make him a pending UFA. I get what you're saying about the coming offseason, but the description of him being a pending UFA is not at all correct.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just bringing Orlov back necessitates trading Gryz, Forbort, Reilly, one of
Hall, Coyle, or DeBrusk.

Well to be fair a LOT of that has to happen if they don't bring Orlov back.

Basically I move Reilly, Gryz and Forbort out, and replace with Orlov and Zboril, or another minimum D man, and you save about 3 million. To me that is a no brainer. That said, Orlov may still outprice himself. Then you probably move 2 or the D-men, maybe keep Grz for 1 more year, but you then need a better #3 RHD, and maybe you save 3-3.5 mil

Hall, Coyle (not DeBrusk), probably need to move one either way. No brainer to me if you can find a taker for Coyle, that makes everything a lot easier

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Being a UFA after the 23-24 season does not make him a pending UFA. I get what you're saying about the coming offseason, but the description of him being a pending UFA is not at all correct.

He will be a pending UFA in the summer when we are talking about. He obviously isn’t now. I dunno. Seems pedantic since we all know the situation.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
If I'm not mistaken didn't JDB sign a 2 year extension last season? That would put him under contract for 23-24, no?

Edit: Just saw the comment above-mentioned it, nvm.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Follow me here. The Bruins win the cup in June. Becoming the greatest team in salary cap era. Yet, no teams will want some of our guys whom are going to hoist The Cup?
SMH
I was wondering why some said we would have to pay for teams to take Hall and Coyle. They are not at the end of their careers, and are good players for where they play.

Reactions: 13Hockey

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
More like fantasy than reality.

The idea that we're going to be able to unload Hall and Coyle's $11m+ during free agent season and under a flat cap without taking any money back seems... extremely unlikely.
Perhaps a younger team if they get knocked out early this year will be willing to acquire guys with more playoff experience, such as Coyle and Hall, for one of their RFAs looking for a bit of a raise.

Looking through teams as example, perhaps you can build a trade around Hall for Sharongovich. If they can sign him to a bridge deal for less than Hall, they can save some on the cap. He's had a bit of a down season production wise, so maybe he bets on himself.

The Devils get a guy who can drive a 3rd line or play when needed, and maybe Hall would waive to return to New Jersey now that they're up and coming.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Follow me here. The Bruins win the cup in June. Becoming the greatest team in salary cap era. Yet, no teams will want some of our guys whom are going to hoist The Cup?
SMH

I'm not sure if it's right to think that nobody will want our guys, but I think teams will be less inclined to do the Bruins any favors after going scorched earth on the league. And the greatest sweetner in a deal to take another team's " unwantables " is pretty much off the tables for the Bruins, since we have no draft pick depth.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Another crazy stat for this year: The Bruins have lost 13 games this season but have only lost 4 games by more than 1 goal.

Ottawa
Florida
Seattle
Carolina

Reactions: bbfan419

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
8F35D5D0-EE46-4339-84D8-716425DDAEE4.jpeg

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Some difficult decisions to make like keeping Hall or Frederic. Given the circumstances I think Frederic is gone because he will probably price himself out and his position is basically set on the third line right wing. This position has the most players waiting as a replacement in Lysell, McLaughlin, Steen and Greer. Ideally you trade him to St. Louis and they could get their hometown boy with St. Louis giving us a late first rounder for him. With the cap hell I also expect players like Lauko and Greer as mainstays in the lineup.

On defense the addition and play of Orlov made me think that it would be ideal to go on with three anchors, one per pairing. Gryz, Forbort and Reilly have a cap together of 10 million. A luxury the Bruins cannot have in the future as they are cap hell. Clifton will price himself out. I would begin with.

X - McAvoy
Lindholm - X
Orlov - X

Carlo stays on the second line with Lindholm. For the third pair I would try to get an cheap young player who is NHL ready. I like what I read about Livingstone. I think he could make sense for the third pairing. For Mac you also go for an young player on the verge on breaking out or for an reclamation project like Gabriel Carlsson. If the game is tight or you have defend a lead you go with Orlov - McAvoy and Lindholm - Carlo.

About a possible Orlov signing. He will be 32 and therefore will go for his last big payday. I would sign him for 5 years and try to get a cap of 5 million for him. If everything is going well you can get another good three years of him. I think it could be possible if you frontload the contract heavy. Give him a salary of 1 million and 8 million in bonuses in the first two years. This could make the difference. If the legs are gone trade him to a team who has to get to the cap minimum.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
4.65 and there is actually a question on whether Swayman has bonuses this year or not. I'm on it though.

And yes they could grow to 5.5 if everyone in Providence played in Boston the last 20 games and went crazy.

The only realistic attainable bonuses are Krejci and Bergeron. As I said, questions around Swayman and I am working on that. Players in Providence can't possibly earn their bonuses.
Ok, much appreciated.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Any chance Lohrei is capable of a Carlo/McAvoy rookie campaign where he makes the jump to the NHL right away or is he too raw and need some AHL seasoning?

Would help to have a cheap elc guy with the cap situation we’re going to have to deal with.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Any chance Lohrei is capable of a Carlo/McAvoy rookie campaign where he makes the jump to the NHL right away or is he too raw and need some AHL seasoning?

Would help to have a cheap elc guy with the cap situation we’re going to have to deal with.

I doubt he’ll jump right in as even Carlo as you mention played in the ahl first, but you have to remember McAvoy came in during a time when the bruins were not doing well and missing the playoffs. The team and fanbase needed a jolt, putting in the only prospect who could excite people about the future beyond pasta was him.

But lorhei is good and I think he has a good shot of being better than Carlo but similar in terms of lower goals more assists, I think he’s a better skater and can pivot around more quickly which should translate to more offensive output and higher advanced stats numbers for danger zone chances

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I doubt he’ll jump right in as even Carlo as you mention played in the ahl first, but you have to remember McAvoy came in during a time when the bruins were not doing well and missing the playoffs. The team and fanbase needed a jolt, putting in the only prospect who could excite people about the future beyond pasta was him.

But lorhei is good and I think he has a good shot of being better than Carlo but similar in terms of lower goals more assists, I think he’s a better skater and can pivot around more quickly which should translate to more offensive output and higher advanced stats numbers for danger zone chances

Carlo only played 7 games in the AHL. I’m assuming that was at the end of his junior season and he finished the season in the AHL. He was in the NHL full time the next year. That’s what I was thinking with Lohrei. Whenever his college season ends, get a few games in PRO and possibly make the jump next year.

I think that’s what they wanted to do with McAvoy as he also played a few AHL games but we had a ton of injuries and he ended up on the big club in the playoffs that year if I’m not mistaken.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Win the cup - trade Hall in the off season and go into next year with Bertuzzi and the return for Hall to replenish the pipeline.
With this plan, I would suggest you still need to move two d from Forbort, Gryz and Carlo. Clfton was already gone, but imo we have 4 d with minimum wage rookies and veterans to fill in on the 3rd line. I don't want to lose Hall, but it seems the obvious tradeoff in order to sign Orlov.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Well Lohrei will likely get a similar audition at Providence this spring to what Carlo has. Hopefully Providence will get a good bit of playoffs this year, so Lohrei and maybe a few other college guys gets some experience.

I tend to think it may take a half season in the AHL for Lohrei, but then again wouldnt be shocked if he is in the opening night lineup, and by June we should have a better idea either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad