Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I love what Drouin has done this year but if you trade Mikko you have to replace him with a 70-80 pt winger. I don't think Drouin can get there.

Reactions: Murzu

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
I think the Avs are likely forced to trade Mikko. I like him as a player when he's motivated, but he costs too much for unmotivated play. I can see why he's hard to give up, too. We're talking top 5 in the league on the RW.

We have to see how things shake out over the next few months.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I love what Drouin has done this year but if you trade Mikko you have to replace him with a 70-80 pt winger. I don't think Drouin can get there.

Landeskog?

I think it's one of three scenarios..

Mikko & Landeskog, Drouin is gone

Landeskog & Drouin, Mikko is traded

Mikko & Drouin, Landeskog LTIR

You can't keep all three unless Drouin is signing another 1 year cheap deal, and you 100% can't keep all three the next year if Mikko costs 13M.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The Rantanen deal is going to be a tough one to swallow. Don’t think the Avs can swing it any way you spin it. It’s either Mikko at $11-12m, or two 5.5-6m players instead. That’s basically another Lehkonen + Nichushkin.

Given what we’ve seen from Nichushkin, I think he provides infinitely more value for the price. I love Mikko, he’s not going to be replaceable, but the cap exists unfortunately.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
it honestly sucks, Mikko will go down as one of the greatest avs of all time, and when he retires one of the greatest Finns of all time.

Letting him go right in the middle of his prime feels so wrong since we'll be wishing we had a player of his caliber for deep playoff runs,

BUTTTTT

$12+ million is just too rich at the cost of the depth.

like others said u can re-sign drouin OR even make a run at someone like Guentzel for 3/4th's the price even and maintain great depth

you have to do it otherwise we just become a younger version of the current Pens' problem.

another hiccup like previously mentioned is we're factoring landy's contract. even if he comes back briefly THEN goes on LTIR, the damage is done cuz of the space we had to make to fit in his contract anyways.

i think its highly likely we re-sign Mikko and just suffer for it like the way toews and kane's contracts did the hawk post-cups.

just wish we had more cups to show for it. the bubble year 2020 was a huge lost opportunity
It's up to Mikko though. I mean, I can't blame him one bit if he wants more money than the Avs are comfortable with paying. He's earned that opportunity by reaching UFA. However, he could also keep in mind that he was one of the very first RFA's to get PAID. 9.25M for a second contract was a significant payday and investment from the team. Does he leave some on the table in return on his UFA deal?

As much as I grumble, I really don't like the idea of trading him. I just worry the offense won't be as easy to replace even though we'd be doing it by committee and not a single player per say. Man, I just wish we hadn't been hit with the damn flat cap during our window. Things would have gotten tight regardless, but I believe they are a lot tighter than they needed to be otherwise.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Rantanen deal is going to be a tough one to swallow. Don’t think the Avs can swing it any way you spin it. It’s either Mikko at $11-12m, or two 5.5-6m players instead. That’s basically another Lehkonen + Nichushkin.

Given what we’ve seen from Nichushkin, I think he provides infinitely more value for the price. I love Mikko, he’s not going to be replaceable, but the cap exists unfortunately.

Maybe he's being lazy this season to test out what he would produce at a 10M/yr effort level.

Absolute team player

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
What a time to be alive where we’re debating if it’s better to have Mikko or Drouin moving forward (and yes I know that’s not the exact debate).

All I gotta say is hats the f*** off to JD for for working hard enough and playing well enough that this is a legit topic of discussion.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Landeskog?

I think it's one of three scenarios..

Mikko & Landeskog, Drouin is gone

Landeskog & Drouin, Mikko is traded

Mikko & Drouin, Landeskog LTIR

You can't keep all three unless Drouin is signing another 1 year cheap deal, and you 100% can't keep all three the next year if Mikko costs 13M.
When I posted my comment I was assuming Landy would be more like 60-70 pt and basically replacing Drouin so I think we need to replace Mikko with another 70-80 pt player.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I understand the rationale behind the idea bt there is zero chance the Avs trade Rantanen. None. Zip.Niet. Nada. Nicht
I agree with zero chance they trade him and I really don’t understand the rationale behind the idea of trading him. Makes no sense at all to me

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Allan Walsh would really like Drouin to be Rantanen's replacement. That cap space is leverage in his eyes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't see Walker gone. Trade Manson to recoup some assets instead. Walker is too much of a great fit.

I think there's a good chance Manson is moved. Losing him and Drouin should be able to get them under the cap next year if Landy comes back.

It could have an impact in other areas though. Girard has played his best hockey with Manson. The top 4 wouldn't be as hard to play against if Walker replaces Manson in the top 4 as well. Better puck movement, and Walker's not soft per se, but less physical/nasty, which matters in the playoffs.

I have a hard time seeing them move Girard now. My guess was always they'd move one of Bo or G along with Manson at some point. Would be an out of left field plan to move both Bo and G, and bring in a new guy like Walker, but it would be creative.

Malinski also seems like a good bet to be a regular next year on the right, so if Manson and Walker both stay, or Manson gets replaced with another big/physical RD, then Walker has to play on the left, which I believe he has some experience doing.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think there's a good chance Manson is moved. Losing him and Drouin should be able to get them under the cap next year if Landy comes back.

It could have an impact in other areas though. Girard has played his best hockey with Manson. The top 4 wouldn't nearly be as hard to play against if Walker replaces Manson in the top 4 as well. Better puck movement but less physical/nasty, which matters in the playoffs.

I have a hard time seeing them move Girard now. My guess was always they'd move one of Bo or G along with Manson at some point. Would be an out of left field plan to move both Bo and G, and bring in a new guy like Walker, but it would be creative.

Malinski also seems like a good bet to be a regular next year on the right, so if Manson and Walker both stay, or Manson gets replaced with another big/physical RD, then Walker has to play on the left, which I believe he has some experience doing.

Why wouldn't you just try to find the left handed version of Manson? Finding a left handed #4D similar to Manson to go with Walker shouldn't break the bank.

Right handed top 4 D are the Unicorns you pay for.. If Girard and Walker are equal I know which I would keep.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

It could have an impact in other areas though. Girard has played his best hockey with Manson. The top 4 wouldn't nearly be as hard to play against if Walker replaces Manson in the top 4 as well. Better puck movement but less physical/nasty, which matters in the playoffs.

The only way it makes sense to trade G is if they bring a Manson-type LHD to play with Walker in the top-4. You are right though that with Bo and Walker as 2nd pair and Manson traded, our D is a bit small although very mobile and great at moving the puck. I already said as much in another post.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why wouldn't you just try to find the left handed version of Manson? Finding a left handed #4D similar to Manson to go with Walker shouldn't break the bank.

Which scneario is this? Girard traded or playing on the 3rd pair with Malsinki? Don't think they should go with the latter, and I'd be surprised if they did.

They may trade Girard, but personally I'd be even more surprised at that.

I think they'll try to find a cheap Manson replacement but if it's a 3rd pair LD, it makes them less physical and had to play against in the top 4.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Which scneario is this? Girard traded or playing on the 3rd pair with Malsinki? Don't think they should go with the latter, and I'd be surprised if they did.

They may trade Girard, but personally I'd be even more surprised at that.

Why? If Walker is as good, and right handed it makes complete sense to trade Girard, and find a less expensive #4.

Nothing is nailed down IMO other than Mack, Makar, Mikko, Toews, Nuke, and CM37 I think.

Edit.. Obviously Landeskog isn't going anywhere either if he plays.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Right handed top 4 D are the Unicorns you pay for.. If Girard and Walker are equal I know which I would keep.
Because left handed versions of Manson aren't readily available in UFA.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why? If Walker is as good, and right handed it makes complete sense.

Nothing is nailed down IMO other than Mack, Makar, Mikko, Toews, Nuke, and CM37 I think.

Why is it unlikely they move Girard? They could, but like I mentioned I think it's unlikely, because I think the choice was between him and Bo, and they liked both, so I'd be surprised if they moved both.

I think Colton and Wood are pretty close to locked down. Not like the others you mentioned, but close.

They just signed both to long term deals so it seems like both are in their long term plans. Would be difficult to get much cheaper than $2.5M for a Wood replacement, and they were missing a legit 3C for longer than they were missing a 2C, so my guess is they want to keep Colton.

They'd have to moe Colton quickly too, he has a full NTC that kicks in next year, before turning into a M-NTC the final two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad