Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Another option to try to fit Walker is to trade Colton and bring in Ritchie at 3C. Would suck to trade a guy you just sign a year ago but there is a cap.

A little early to go there considering the sample size but by the end of the playoffs trading George might be an option as well to gain cap space and go with Annunen and Provy next year. Obviously risky but IMO the Avs have the defensive game to handle that.

There is a lot of different ways they can go. I'd say the playoffs will be a heavy factor in who they keep. It's not quite as bleak as some make it out to be cap wise, but choices will be forced, and they need to load up on assets for the TDL moves.

I think the most important pieces are there, and will be year over year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Landy comes back and Mitts makes around 6M AAV we’re losing 3 of Walker, Girard, Manson or Colton. Also Drouin gone.

We need to find 9M of cap space to accomodate Landy and Mitts. Plus the extra cap space needed to replace the other guys that are gone.

The situation is so much worse than people think. Also 22 players with no cap room is pure Hell for teams when players get injured. You need some wiggle room.

I think next year we lose Drouin, Walker, Manson and Colton.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Landy comes back and Mitts makes around 6M AAV we’re losing 3 of Walker, Girard, Manson or Colton. Also Drouin gone.

We need to find 9M of cap space to accomodate Landy and Mitts. Plus the extra cap space needed to replace the other guys that are gone.

The situation is so much worse than people think. Also 22 players with no cap room is pure Hell for teams when players get injured. You need some wiggle room.

I just showed it's two of Girard, Manson and Walker, with Drouin gone as well.

2024/25 CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster w/ Mikko, Landy, and S. Walker

FORWARDS (12)

Right Wing: Mikko Rantanen ($9,250,000) - Valeri Nichushkin ($6,125,000) - Logan O'Connor ($1,050,000) - Nikolai Kovalenko ($896,250)

Centre: Nathan MacKinnon ($12,600,000) - Casey Mittelstadt ($6,500,000) - Ross Colton ($4,000,000) - Ondrej Pavel ($870,000)

Left Wing: Gabriel Landeskog ($7,000,000) - Artturi Lehkonen ($4,500,000) - Miles Wood ($2,500,000) - Jean-Luc Foudy ($847,500)

DEFENSE (6)

Right: Cale Makar ($9,000,000) - Sean Walker ($4,500,000) - Sam Malinski ($850,000)

Left: Devon Toews ($7,250,000) - Jake Middleton ($2,450,000) - Jack Johnson ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

Alexandar Georgiev ($3,400,000) - Justus Annunen ($1,000,000)

DETAILS

Roster Size: 20

Salary Cap: $87,500,000

Cap Hit: $85,388,750

Cap Space: $2,111,250

This is with Manson & G traded for stuff. It needs two more bodies on the cheap.

All of the obvious are optional, but we do need a #4LD for around that money. Someone threw out Middleton earlier so I went with it.

We have the ability to run at 22 because the AHL team is so close.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

And this is why the Avs need to look seriously at trading Mikko.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

As I said weeks ago IF Landeskog comes back and is ready to go 100% - I personally believe the Avs would look to trade Rantanen for a big haul (maybe even including a Top-10 pick in this year's draft) rather than decimate a large part of their roster to keep him and then re-up him at $11M-12M or whatever it will be.

That's IF he's able to come back which is by no means certain. I do believe that Landeskog is going to try and comeback during this year's playoffs but there is a chance that this is going to be it.

I hope that last part doesn't happen but there aren't many NHLers that can just resume a career after 2 years away.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trade Mikko next summer and all of a sudden you can keep Drouin, Walker and Colton.

The real benefit starts 2 years from now though when the difference between Mikko and no Mikko is 13M AAV. That’s a lot of depth.

If the Avs are comfortable with Drouin playing at Mikko’s spot going forward they have to do it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I guess we're damn close lol, I just have us losing Drouin, Girard, and Manson.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Trade Mikko next summer and all of a sudden you can keep Drouin, Walker and Colton.

The real benefit starts 2 years from now though when the difference between Mikko and no Mikko is 13M AAV. That’s a lot of depth.

If the Avs are comfortable with Drouin playing at Mikko’s spot going forward they have to do it.
In my opinion, everything depends on this year's playoffs.

Did they win? Was Mikko a big part of why they won?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then they'll find a way to pay him to keep him. If we end up losing players and our depth suffers, so be on it - at least you got 2 cups in 3 years.

If the answer to either is no, then I think all bets are off as it pertains to Mikko's next contract.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
In my opinion, everything depends on this year's playoffs.

Did they win? Was Mikko a big part of why they won?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then they'll find a way to pay him to keep him. If we end up losing players and our depth suffers, so be on it - at least you got 2 cups in 3 years.

If the answer to either is no, then I think all bets are off as it pertains to Nikki's next contract.

It's difficult to decide right now, but you can see there is flexibility. That's the most important thing.

At this point I wouldn't put Landy to any plan. Let's see if he plays in the playoffs and how well, if that doesn't happen then let's see if he plays preseason and how well.

See I think you have to until he is done. He hasn't had any setbacks, and he's on track to play.

If he can't then it just opens up option.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I imagine they'll find a way to keep Mikko, just as they have with all of the other good players other than Kadri. I recall people have wanted them to move on from Landeskog, Nichushkin, Toews, etc. I was even part of that with Landeskog initially when some of the terms were thrown around. You can go back and even see some MacKinnon grumblings when he was up for a new deal. However, the Avs like having good players on their team.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't think you can replace Mikko with depth. He's too much of a beast offensively, on pace for 109 points after scoring 105 last year. Drouin is having a really nice season, but Mikko has more than double the points (38 vs 88) and nearly three times the goals (12 vs 33).

If Colorado and Mikko can't comes to terms, I think they'll be shopping for a higher end replacement. Recall the Jaden Schwartz rumors when it was unknown if Landeskog would re-sign (keep in mind Schwartz was way better than he is now, but still a big step down from Gabe).

The nice thing is, unlike the last two off-seasons and trade deadlines, the team doesn't have a fundamental issue with its roster (no 2C). If the Avalanche keep Mikko (which I think they will), they'll still be able to head into the season with their top-6 forwards and top defense pairing locked up. Bottom-4/6 defense and forwards are always plentiful at the trade deadline.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Might be a hot take, but if Nuke can figure out his health, I think he ages better on his contract, and brings more value than Rantanen will down the stretch.

The guy is still bringing it after getting paid. I just think trading Rantanen to extend the window, especially if you win the cup is a massive move that can not only improve depth, but also keep the band together longer. It'd take some massive guts based on the amount of respect they've paid to other long term Avs players such as EJ.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think you can replace Mikko with depth. He's too much of a beast offensively, on pace for 109 points after scoring 105 last year. Drouin is having a really nice season, but Mikko has more than double the points (38 vs 88) and nearly three times the goals (12 vs 33).
That's not how you should look at it.

Option 1: Mikko + Kiviranta level forward + Jones level defenseman
or
Option 2: Drouin + top 10 pick? + Walker + Colton + other picks

I think Drouin gets you at minimum half the production for 1/3rd of the price.

Maybe significantly more than half if he gets to play all year with Mack and on PP1. He also provides better defense.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

or

Maybe significantly more than half if he gets to play all year with Mack and on PP1. He also provides better defense.

I love Mikko and he’s a wonderful player but we can’t afford to have 3 guys down the road (Mack, Mikko, Makar) making 12+ million and expect to ice a competitive team. Mikko may have to be a cap casualty unless the cap goes up a lot more after next year.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
it honestly sucks, Mikko will go down as one of the greatest avs of all time, and when he retires one of the greatest Finns of all time.

Letting him go right in the middle of his prime feels so wrong since we'll be wishing we had a player of his caliber for deep playoff runs,

BUTTTTT

$12+ million is just too rich at the cost of the depth.

like others said u can re-sign drouin OR even make a run at someone like Guentzel for 3/4th's the price even and maintain great depth

you have to do it otherwise we just become a younger version of the current Pens' problem.

another hiccup like previously mentioned is we're factoring landy's contract. even if he comes back briefly THEN goes on LTIR, the damage is done cuz of the space we had to make to fit in his contract anyways.

i think its highly likely we re-sign Mikko and just suffer for it like the way toews and kane's contracts did the hawk post-cups.

just wish we had more cups to show for it. the bubble year 2020 was a huge lost opportunity

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

or

Just my opinion, but I'm taking Option 1 all day. Go into the season with Rantanen + 2 replacement level type players, and at the deadline you add the Duhaime/Trenin/Walkers of the world.

Colton, Drouin, and Walker are all really nice players, but they aren't the motor that powers the Avalanche. With this trio specifically, Drouin's career was in jeopardy last off-season, and Walker was a healthy scratch in the playoffs last year for LA (and a cap dump in a trade last summer). Colton's career has been much steadier, but his upside is limited. I'm not suggesting they're going to fall off, but rather that players like them emerge every season.

Just for sake of discussion, I put together a roster for 2025-2026, with a $92M projected cap figure. This is obviously hypothetical, but I tried to handicap myself by giving Mittelstadt/Rantanen max salary, and having the Avalanche spend a little more than they normal do on goaltending.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 3.21.32 PM.png

Reactions: CobraAcesS

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
Just my opinion, but I'm taking Option 1 all day. Go into the season with Rantanen + 2 replacement level type players, and at the deadline you add the Duhaime/Trenin/Walkers of the world.

Colton, Drouin, and Walker are all really nice players, but they aren't the motor that powers the Avalanche. With this trio specifically, Drouin's career was in jeopardy last off-season, and Walker was a healthy scratch in the playoffs last year for LA (and a cap dump in a trade last summer). Colton's career has been much steadier, but his upside is limited. I'm not suggesting they're going to fall off, but rather that players like them emerge every season.

Just for sake of discussion, I put together a roster for 2025-2026, with a $92M projected cap figure. This is obviously hypothetical, but I tried to handicap myself by giving Mittelstadt/Rantanen max salary, and having the Avalanche spend a little more than they normal do on goaltending.

View attachment 835232
landy getting re-hurt puts miles wood in the top 6....

avs can gain 7 mil again on LTIR but they dont have draft capital to spend on acquring another top 6 fwd, let alone get quality dmen for 2.5mil and under.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
landy getting re-hurt puts miles wood in the top 6....

avs can gain 7 mil again on LTIR but they dont have draft capital to spend on acquring another top 6 fwd, let alone get quality dmen for 2.5mil and under.

It's a worst case scenario type simulation, at least in terms of dollars allocated towards the salary cap. If Landeskog is a healthy regular two years from now, this could roughly be what the team looks like.

Regarding what you said about Miles Wood/Landeskog, that's essentially the condition the team is in right now. Duhaime was in the top-6 last night due to an illness.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad