Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For next year, assuming Landy is back…

Avs have 2 mill in cap space. Cap is going up 4 mill which is going to Toews extension.

Walker is probably gone, Malinski takes his spot.

Gotta resign Mittelstadt. Probably gets a bridge deal 3 x 3.5 mill or something

Can probably make room to resign one of Duhaime or Trenin but not both.

Parise is gone, so is Cogs probably.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For next year, assuming Landy is back…

Avs have 2 mill in cap space. Cap is going up 4 mill which is going to Toews extension.

Walker is probably gone, Malinski takes his spot.

Gotta resign Mittelstadt. Probably gets a bridge deal 3 x 3.5 mill or something

Can probably make room to resign one of Duhaime or Trenin but not both.

Parise is gone, so is Cogs probably.

I dunno where you are getting these numbers but they're very wrong.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Players that will probably be gone next year
Parise
Cogs
Drouin
Trenin or Duhaime
Walker
JJ maybe

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
If Landy comes back, Avs have 13 players who are currently on todays roster and under contract next year. Assuming the cap does end up 87.5, those 13 players leave 11.3 million in cap space. Teams usually have 22 or 23 on a roster, and occasionally 21. Assuming 22, that is 9 players to sign or call up, and 1.25 million per player to work with. That is before any hypothetical extension for Mitt.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can we trade Manson and give his contract to Walker?
That’s an option I guess. The problem with that is that the Avs D will get softer without Manson. Too much of the same thing, smaller puck movers and no physicality

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That’s an option I guess. The problem with that is that the Avs D will get softer without Manson. Too much of the same thing, smaller puck movers and no physicality

2024/25 CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster w/ Mikko, Landy, and S. Walker

FORWARDS (12)

Right Wing: Mikko Rantanen ($9,250,000) - Valeri Nichushkin ($6,125,000) - Logan O'Connor ($1,050,000) - Nikolai Kovalenko ($896,250)

Centre: Nathan MacKinnon ($12,600,000) - Casey Mittelstadt ($6,500,000) - Ross Colton ($4,000,000) - Ondrej Pavel ($870,000)

Left Wing: Gabriel Landeskog ($7,000,000) - Artturi Lehkonen ($4,500,000) - Miles Wood ($2,500,000) - Jean-Luc Foudy ($847,500)

DEFENSE (6)

Right: Cale Makar ($9,000,000) - Sean Walker ($4,500,000) - Sam Malinski ($850,000)

Left: Devon Toews ($7,250,000) - Jake Middleton ($2,450,000) - Jack Johnson ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

Alexandar Georgiev ($3,400,000) - Justus Annunen ($1,000,000)

DETAILS

Roster Size: 20

Salary Cap: $87,500,000

Cap Hit: $85,388,750

Cap Space: $2,111,250

This is with Manson & G traded for stuff. It needs two more bodies on the cheap.

All of the obvious are optional, but we do need a #4LD for around that money. Someone threw out Middleton earlier so I went with it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I can't see Walker gone. Trade Manson to recoup some assets instead. Walker is too much of a great fit.
I agree... I think they'll try to get that guy signed.
Yeah, I get that but at the same time - if you're bringing in Walker to play on your middle pair and you want to re-sign him - there's nothing that says we can't trade Manson and then sign a guy like Zadorov in free agency.

At this point - Z is a bottom pairing guy and could be brought back for much less than Manson is making and probably less than he is currently making. There are others that can fill this role as well.

I like Manson (most of the time) there is good and bad with him and his play can be erratic but if he's not going to play in the Top-4, you can't be paying him that much to be on the bottom pair.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah, I get that but at the same time - if you're bringing in Walker to play on your middle pair and you want to re-sign him - there's nothing that says we can't trade Manson and then sign a guy like Zadorov in free agency.

At this point - Z is a bottom pairing guy and could be brought back for much less than Manson is making and probably less than he is currently making. There are others that can fill this role as well.

I like Manson (most of the time) there is good and bad with him and his play can be erratic but if he's not going to play in the Top-4, you can't be paying him that much to be on the bottom pair.

He has to go, age, still has value, it's time, and you can't let Walker go in favor of keeping him. Just go get the best physical #4LD you can pull with the assets. Of which we'll have plenty moving Manson & Girard for futures.

If Landy doesn't return you re-sign Drouin and Mikko. If Landy does I'd trade Mikko, sign Drouin, and go from there. Maybe you can get a high potential forward that is cheaper for Mikko etc.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Another option to try to fit Walker is to trade Colton and bring in Ritchie at 3C. Would suck to trade a guy you just sign a year ago but there is a cap.

A little early to go there considering the sample size but by the end of the playoffs trading George might be an option as well to gain cap space and go with Annunen and Provy next year. Obviously risky but IMO the Avs have the defensive game to handle that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yep. Trade Manson, sign Walker for like ~$3.5-4M(I think he would get less than Manson tbh. Doesn't have the size factor Manson had and his offensive numbers don't pop). Then sign a couple of physical bottom pairing guys instead.

I dont think Bednar would ever want Z back, but maybe like Hakanpaa from Dallas, or Josh Brown from Arizona

Those guys aren't really great players exactly but they would replace the physical aspect you lose with Manson, they can block shots well and take a regular shift on the PK essentially.

The other thing is Walker isn't soft by any means. People look at his size and automatically think this but the dude plays quite a bit bigger than his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad