Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
This, saying he had to steal it is laughable, he just needed not to be very bad.

No skinner just had to be average, the D was keeping them outside period. They had 1, just 1 high danger chance when we were up 4-1, that is awful goaltending. Teams are not 100% all the time.
I don’t disagree. But our players did nothing in front to help themselves and the better team won.

Because of that, I don’t fault Skinner to the same degree as the rest of you.

I think he bounces back like he usually has after a **** start and hopefully we don’t have to worry about it again.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I don’t disagree. But our players did nothing in front to help themselves and the better team won.

I think he bounces back like he usually has after a **** start and hopefully we don’t have to worry about it again.
I get what your saying but good teams win despite being outplayed all the time in the playoffs. The Oilers had a chance to steal one but it was almost literally given away by Skinner. It's not even like he had to stand on his head. He just had to be a run-of-the-mill goalie for 30 minutes.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I get what you’re saying but good teams win despite being outplayed all the time in the playoffs. The Oilers had a chance to steal one but it was almost literally given away by Skinner. It's not even like he had to stand on his head. He just had to be a run-of-the-mill goalie for 30 minutes.
Irrespective of all our disagreements of blame, that win would have been really nice. I think he bounces back today.

Also, never had a physical reaction to a loss. I actually felt ill in the stomach after blowing that lead.

Reactions: oilers4life5

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Irrespective of all our disagreements of blame, that win would have been really nice. I think he bounces back today.

Also, never had a physical reaction to a loss. I actually felt ill in the stomach after blowing that lead.
I also think he bounces back. Mind you, he's proven to be a pretty awful playoff goalie so far. Like, horrifically bad.

I felt the same in the collapse last game as I did in game 1 against the Flames in 2022, as well as a number of other games against LA. I think part of it is this team has a tendency to lose in spectacular fashion.

I am still calling for a 4-1 series win, so long as Draisaitl can still play. I think we see a totally different Oilers tonight. It just sucks they have to get smacked in the mouth to take shit seriously all the time. That kind of attitude doesn't fly with a cup contender, so they need to start taking every game like game 7 for crying out loud.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Maybe just wording but how you state it is wrong.

Nurse has Garland on the winning goal in a completely harmless area, contained, on periphery, he scores anyway because Skinner is having shit game day. You can't erase the other player from even being on the ice. Nurse one on one did all he should have to do there. But people blaming Nurse anyway because of something something. Its absolutely ridiculous to let that goal go in. To let it in with 6mins left? What a Killer!

Skinner WILL bounce back and we WILL have to worry about him sucking again in some other game. All these things are likely.

The funny thing is as per KK postgame and next day comments he doesn't want the Oilers to be hanging back. He wants them to force the issue as you do. But thats easier said than done against an opposition that pressures pucks in our zone and NZ. Nucks do a decent job removing time and space.

The Nucks game plan is to basically stop hockey, stop shots from taking place. Its hard to find traction against that and so instead the players reverted to a fall back plan with a 4-1 lead. It should have worked were it not for shit goaltending.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully at least one of Drai or Henrique plays today (maybe both), otherwise 2C may be an issue.

Let us hope that the Oilers really show up today and hit everything they can see.

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
I think Drai hurt his back and will be out a while. I'm also wondering which Skinner shows up...Jekyll or Hyde? If we lose tonight I think our goose is cooked. If we destroy them, then we should win the series.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I also think he bounces back. Mind you, he's proven to be a pretty awful playoff goalie so far. Like, horrifically bad.

I felt the same in the collapse last game as I did in game 1 against the Flames in 2022, as well as a number of other games against LA. I think part of it is this team has a tendency to lose in spectacular fashion.

I am still calling for a 4-1 series win, so long as Draisaitl can still play. I think we see a totally different Oilers tonight. It just sucks they have to get smacked in the mouth to take shit seriously all the time. That kind of attitude doesn't fly with a cup contender, so they need to start taking every game like game 7 for crying out loud.
One point of disagreement. Other teams are losing games 6-1 despite getting heroic goaltending trying to keep them in games. The Oilers are losing one goal games when they have crap goaltending.

Point being we almost never lose in spectacular fashion. Other clubs have games that should just be flushed down the toilet completely.

Game 1 would have been a guaranteed win for any other team because they have quality goaltending. we don't even have average goaltending.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Both things can be true.

Skinner was awful.

The collapse covered reality that, despite the score, after two two periods a telecast SportLogic graphic showed the Canucks with double the Slot Shots (10 to 5); 5 to 1 in High Danger Scoring Chances; 7 to 2 Cycle Chances; and 5 to 2 Odd Man Rushes. The Canucks finished with a lopsided face-off aka possession start difference of 63.5% to 36.5% which flattered the critical top six face-off results of McDavid 27.8% and Draisaitl 28.6%. Line 1 had 4 shots last night. They were dominated. Second line wasn't much better.

Edmonton was outworked, had good fortune facing an organizational third string raw rookie goaltender, imploded behind a terrible goaltending performance and dud defense work principally by Nurse and Ceci. But there is significant underlaying concerns with the need for this team's top six to be much, much better to push back in this series.

Skinner needs to be significantly better. So does the team in front of him.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Yep. I don't think Desharnais would find himself on a lot of contender lineups. Worse, the reason he's been upped from 7D to much more looks is due to passivity from some of our other D. Particularly Nurse Ceci who have stopped hitting. We have size D, we should be phsyical at back but Nucks somehow getting more of that from their group. Desharnais is here to bring the bang and to use his wingspan and get in the way of pucks because others weren't doing that effectively enough.

Desharnais is probably tired, exhausted. Look at him on the bench. He's sucking wind constantly. he can't play these minutes at this pace and level.

Meanwhile the Oilers are not even skating a speed dynamo like Stecher that flies out there and has unlimited pace and energy. its strange stuff.

Desharnais has snowed the team too. Both Skinner and Desharnais as a support tag team have done that. Neither are good. Woodcroft is who foisted this on the org. Telling the org these two are good enough for the show and bringing them up here because they were "his guys". its up to a new coach to have figured out thats not the case. KK not changing that up at all.

Always felt La, Nashville and Vancouver highly beatable.

Suspected and still do Dallas Vegas or Colorado would be our end.

Team just isn't good enough. Goal sadly should be conference finals and make it an affair.

Way too many gaps. Finally mcdavid has a genuine winger to play with. Drai doesn't have his guentzel.

No top dman with nurse. No playoff calibre goaltending. We got the worst goaltending of any team left in playoffs bar none.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Proviso being that none of the quality Canucks scored except Miller. We got two goals from elite scoring Hyman. One unstoppable by any goalie. We got two elite services from Drai, from Nuge, from McD. Canucks have nothing like that and Skinner isn't having to face any of that.

he's getting beat from long range by clowns like Zadorov or Garland.

The "these goalies were equal" doesn't consider who the other goalie is having to contend with.

To wit for LA to ever beat us in a series their goaltending would have to be twice as good as ours, because of our arsenal.

Skinner didn't even have to contend with Boeser or Pettersson who hardly even showed up in the game. The Nucks got it down the lineup.

In anycase many reasons exist for the loss. different things are true.

I think you're giving Silvos way too much credit.

Nobody is stopping the first goal, but every goal after that sucked. We would be roasting Skinner if he over pursued on both the Ekholm and Ceci goals like Silvos did, and nothing even needs to be said about Hyman's second goal.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
His last few playoffs speak another story.

Abysmal players don’t make the NHL. Is he vastly overpaid? Yes. Is he abysmal? Not even close. He’s a decent 2nd pair D paid like a 1A thanks to Holland caving into his demands and being best buds with McDavid.

Thanks to HFBoards shitty 1997 style settings it’s merged two posts into one. The below has nothing to do with the above.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Abysmal players don’t make the NHL. Is he vastly overpaid? Yes. Is he abysmal? Not even close. He’s a decent 2nd pair D paid like a 1A thanks to Holland caving into his demands and being best buds with McDavid.

I used to be with you here, but his game dissolves from decent regular season 2nd pair D (which is true) to unplayable mess that single handedly loses playoff games every spring.

Most decent 2nd pair D have their bad games or their one off issues, but most of them don't collapse like he does in spectacular fashion literally every time the games matter.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Time to move on from game 1.

I say leave Dri on the shelf to lick his wounds. Leave Gags in his spot to keep his seat warm.

We are coming home with a split whether he's in or not. Go gettem boys.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I used to be with you here, but his game dissolves from decent regular season 2nd pair D (which is true) to unplayable mess that single handedly loses playoff games every spring.

Most decent 2nd pair D have their bad games or their one off issues, but most of them don't collapse like he does in spectacular fashion literally every time the games matter.

That’s where I point to his inconsistencies. He plays 1 awesome game, 1 awful game and 3 “good” games in 5 game sets. That roughly a 2nd pair D but his swings tend to be wilder than most.

———-

HFBoards strikes again merging 2 posts into one. Hey guys fix your shitty forum settings!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think you're giving Silvos way too much credit.

Nobody is stopping the first goal, but every goal after that sucked. We would be roasting Skinner if he over pursued on both the Ekholm and Ceci goals like Silvos did, and nothing even needs to be said about Hyman's second goal.
Didn't say any different but Silovs isn't even supposed to be in and is third string Nucks goalie if that. Skinner is supposed to be our #1. Would be nice if he's anything at all like resembling a #1 in playoffs. Both goalies were shit. One shouldn't even be in the NHL (Silovs)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks to HFBoards shitty 1997 style settings it’s merged two posts into one. The below has nothing to do with the above.

I know we're hanging on every word and thanks for it but Drai of course isn't going to be at an optional skate and this likely means he's nursing whatever until game time and probably plays under pain killers or injections. We know he's going to play even if his leg or arm is hanging off. Drai would play under any circumstance that even remotely allows it. So that there is no news other than that Drai will be there. But we don't know how much of him will be.

We also know the Nucks goons will target him with everything they got and nothing will be called. By now with all leaks Drai might as well have a "hit me here" target on his back. Thanks press, you dirty buggers.

Reactions: brentashton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad