Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What I would give to be able to bring back all of Trenin, Duhaime, and Walker

Well I guess that's kind of the question, right?

Its definitely possible to bring them all back. But you'd have to lose something from the roster for sure. I think there's a world where it could work though.

Trenin for $2M, Duhaime at $1.5M, Walker at $3.5M.

1710394179921.png

That group is currently $5M over the cap essentially. Some ways to work towards freeing up $5M in cap space:

- Trade Lehky, and sign Drouin for 4x$3M, freeing up $1.5M.

- Trade Manson or Girard and replace them with ~$1-1.5M bottom pairing Dmen. Freeing up $3-4M in space.

- Trade Mikko for a massive haul of futures. Freeing up $9.25M in space.

- Maybe moving on from Georgiev. Especially if Annunen keeps this play up. You sign him and go after someone to split starts with him instead. Maybe Vejmelka or Ingram from Arizona. Would free up ~$1.5M in space.

- Trade Colton, replace him with Ritchie as the 3C. Would free up $3M in space(But could be bad news for bonus carryover in 2025 as well).

- Somebody else gets surgery and goes on LTIR for the year. Feels like Makar might be a candidate for this next year honestly.

Honestly.... There's a number of ways they could bring all 3(4 with Drouin) guys back next year. But it would mean losing other guys that we may not necessarily want to lose as well.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Its definitely possible to bring them all back. But you'd have to lose something from the roster for sure. I think there's a world where it could work though.

View attachment 835586

That group is currently $5M over the cap essentially. Some ways to work towards freeing up $5M in cap space:

- Trade Manson or Girard and replace them with ~$1-1.5M bottom pairing Dmen. Freeing up $3-4M in space.

- Maybe moving on from Georgiev. Especially if Annunen keeps this play up. You sign him and go after someone to split starts with him instead. Maybe Vejmelka or Ingram from Arizona. Would free up ~$1.5M in space.

- Trade Colton, replace him with Ritchie as the 3C. Would free up $3M in space(But could be bad news for bonus carryover in 2025 as well).

- Somebody else gets surgery and goes on LTIR for the year. Feels like Makar might be a candidate for this next year honestly.

Honestly.... There's a number of ways they could bring all 3(4 with Drouin) guys back next year. But it would mean losing other guys that we may not necessarily want to lose as well.
Definitely things to consider. And all of the new guys have shown themselves to be worthy of wanting back so far. Mitt's is a must and I believe Walker is as good as guaranteed as long as he's reasonable. The others are going to be luxuries maybe one of them will be doable. For both to be doable, somebody is going to be doing the Avalanche a real damn solid and will become endeared forever for it.

Otherwise, I'd agree that Girard or Manson has to be moved if keeping Yakov Brandon Walker Ranger. (Sounds like one of the grand-children's name in my just made up sequel to Ricky Bobby).

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

View attachment 835586

I'm still partial to trading Colton + Wood, well after dumping Manson. Both have been good and I love the energy and chaos they bring, but I still feel like I want more for their cap hits. Trading both allows you to bring back Drouin, Duhaine, and Trenin. Trenin isn't the ideal #3C, but I think he'd be passable with Mittelstadt in front of him and having a combination of Drouin, Lehky, Landy, LOC, Kovalenko flank him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm still partial to trading Colton + Wood. Both have been good and I love the energy and chaos they bring, but I still feel like I want more for their cap hits. Trading both allows you to bring back Drouin, Duhaine, and Trenin. Trenin isn't the ideal #3C, but I think he'd be passable with Mittelstadt in front of him and having a combination of Drouin, Lehky, Landy, LOC, Kovalenko flank him.

Maybe. Personally I think Colton is pretty clearly the best bottom 6 forward we have. He's likely gonna score 40 points, maybe even 45. None of the other bottom 6 guys are hitting that level. Of they move Colton I think thats more of a June 2025 move personally. And then Ritchie takes 3C duties.

I'd take Trenin and Duhaime over Wood, but don't think the Avs would move Wood 1 year into a 6 year deal.

Personally, Lehky would be the first move I make if Landy is indeed returning and essentially at 100%. If the goal is to keep Trenin and Duhaime, they're basically bottom 6 versions of Lehky.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I could see Lehkonen being a cap casualty.

It feels weird to choose Colton over him, but if you try Ritchie at 3C you can start Colton on the wing and then move him back to centre if Ritchie fails.

I would be careful about overpaying Walker. I like him, but he’s not young, I wouldn’t pay a premium to bring him back.

Duhaime shouldn’t be an issue. He’s still a hidden gem. Trenin might be tough. Nashville only traded him because his contract ask was too much, so he may be a tough negotiation.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd move a whole lot of guys before even thinking about moving Lehky.

IMO Drouin, Colton and Manson are gone next summer. Maybe we can keep Walker.

They'll try Ritchie at 3C.

The real thing to do would be to move Rantanen for a top 10 pick and/or top prospect(s) and keep everyone else.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You guys can keep trading Mikko in your heads, but he’s not going anywhere. It’s only gonna cost like 2 mill more to resign him in 2 years when the cap goes up even more. Assuming Mikko is gonna get Pastrnak money which he should.

You can cut cost else where. Like trade Colton and get a cheaper 3rd line center. Mikko isn’t going anywhere. The only time you trade a top 10 player in the league is when you’re rebuilding

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Ritchie is the interesting one.

Because it’s CHL or NHL for him next year.

Problem is you have no idea if he’s even ready until the season actually starts, and by then, you’ve already had to commit to your roster

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
You guys can keep trading Mikko in your heads, but he’s not going anywhere. It’s only gonna cost like 2 mill more to resign him in 2 years when the cap goes up even more. Assuming Mikko is gonna get Pastrnak money which he should.

You can cut cost else where. Like trade Colton and get a cheaper 3rd line center. Mikko isn’t going anywhere. The only time you trade a top 10 player in the league is when you’re rebuilding
Rantanen is getting at least $12M on his next deal.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He has to play in the NHL, he has nothing left to prove in the CHL.
I disagree. Just because a guy is playing well and putting up points in the CHL, doesn't mean he's ready to play in the NHL.

This is how I see it - the Avs will sign him to his ELC and he'll come to camp in September. If he shows well in camp, they will give him his 9 games to start the year (roster permitting). This will allow him to understand what he needs to keep improving to be an everyday NHL player. He will then be sent back and given things to continue to work on in his final year in the OHL. Stuff like just continuing to get stronger, improve his skating and focus on defensive play.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

View attachment 835586

I have a feeling that Duhaime and Trenin are going to cost more than that. The numbers you have listed for them reflect $400K and $300K raises, which isn't much. If those two solid players were willing to sign for such small raises, I think their former teams would have just extended them.

I think the same for Walker and Drouin. Solid 2nd pairing/2nd line guys are usually $4M+ players. I think both of those guys will demand $4M+, and get it. This is why I've never been as down on Manson as you and Hench have been. His play since December has been pretty solid, and as long as he plays that way, his contract isn't really out of line. Plus, he brings that physical presence that all playoff teams desire.

Herein lies the problem that the Avs' poor drafting/development causes. If you want true talent for cheap, there's really only one way to get it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I disagree. Just because a guy is playing well and putting up points in the CHL, doesn't mean he's ready to play in the NHL.

This is how I see it - the Avs will sign him to his ELC and he'll come to camp in September. If he shows well in camp, they will give him his 9 games to start the year (roster permitting). This will allow him to understand what he needs to keep improving to be an everyday NHL player. He will then be sent back and given things to continue to work on in his final year in the OHL. Stuff like just continuing to get stronger, improve his skating and focus on defensive play.
We'll see but keeping a guy for too long in junior isn't the best for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad