Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs: Patriots finish 4-13, Will pick 3rd. Mayo hired as HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If Harbaugh wants to make the jump to the NFL, there's only 32 jobs, of which maybe only eight will be available. The Patriots have the 3rd pick in the draft, a ton of cap space, and a really good defense.

The Red Sox and the Patriots are two different franchises with two different ownership groups.

One has nothing to do with the other.
Bill has already indicated he'll do whatever the team needs. Coaches are being fired early this AM and Bill is not one of them. The whole last week of the it's the end of Bill in NE will end of being media hysteria. Bill has the 3rd pick, cap space, and a good defense. With one of these top QB's available at 3 they are in good shape.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Bill has already indicated he'll do whatever the team needs. Coaches are being fired early this AM and Bill is not one of them. The whole last week of the it's the end of Bill in NE will end of being media hysteria. Bill has the 3rd pick, cap space, and a good defense. With one of these top QB's available at 3 they are in good shape.
The last time Bill had available cap space and the desire to spend a 1st round pick on a QB, we ended up with Mac Jones, Jonnu Smith, and Nelson Agholor.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The last time Bill had available cap space and the desire to spend a 1st round pick on a QB, we ended up with Mac Jones, Jonnu Smith, and Nelson Agholor.

well they are picking 3 now and not 15 and they can pay higgens draft a top QB. Bill made the playoffs that year btw with a rookie qb

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
While cleaning house is needed. Unless they get a trade offer they can’t refuse something tells me that Kraft may end up getting a GM and leaving him as coach and Bill being fine with it. I just can’t see Kraft paying a ton for Bill to “sit at home” after they just signed a contract.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
why would Harbaugh come here and is Kraft going to fire and pay bill and pay Harbaugh? whats vrabels record lately
Why would Harbaugh go anywhere? The NCAA is breathing down his neck. If Kraft gives him control to pick his own GM I see no reason why he wouldn't come here. He can pick his QB #3 overall and has tons of cap space. The 49ers were trash when he got that job and so was Michigan. I should also note that Harbaugh got the best out of Alex Smith when everyone thought he was a bust.

Seeing Jonnu in Atlanta, it was a good idea to sign him. Unfortunately Bill or whoever you want to blame had no idea how to use him or get him involved. But he is a talented guy.

While cleaning house is needed. Unless they get a trade offer they can’t refuse something tells me that Kraft may end up getting a GM and leaving him as coach and Bill being fine with it. I just can’t see Kraft paying a ton for Bill to “sit at home” after they just signed a contract.
Bill might say he's fine with it to save his job but does anyone actually believe that? Let's say the Kraft's bring in some assistant hot shot GM from SF, Philly, Detroit. We think Bill is going to play nice and not insert his power/ego into the situation?

Reactions: Gordoff

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Why would Harbaugh go anywhere? The NCAA is breathing down his neck. If Kraft gives him control to pick his own GM I see no reason why he wouldn't come here. He can pick his QB #3 overall and has tons of cap space. The 49ers were trash when he got that job and so was Michigan.

Seeing Jonnu in Atlanta, it was a good idea to sign him. Unfortunately Bill or whoever you want to blame had no idea how to use him or get him involved. But he is a talented guy.

Bill might say he's fine with it to save his job but does anyone actually believe that? Let's say the Kraft's bring in some assistant hot shot GM from SF, Philly, Detroit. We think Bill is going to play nice and not insert his power/ego into the situation?

it's a fishbowl environment. Everything he does and say will be compared to Bill and second guessed, it will take a lot of work with lots of pressure.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
it's a fishbowl environment. Everything he does and say will be compared to Bill and second guessed, it will take a lot of work with lots or pressure.
If anyone can deal with that line of questioning or pressure it's certainly Harbaugh over some unproven assistant.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm tore on Bill to be honest. He struggles with building an offense, but he still can put out some defensively strong teams. As bad as this year was....

Yards Allowed per Game - 4th
Passing Yards Allowed - 11th
Passing TD's Allowed - 4th
Rushing Yards Allowed - 4th
Rushing TD's Allowed - 11th

This is with missing some key pieces on defense for a good part of the season. If you look, 6 of the teams 13 losses were by 7pts or less. With even an average offense, the Patriots likely win those 6 games and finish the season at 10-7 with a shot at the playoffs.

I'd like to see them go out and sign a vet QB like Cousins or Mayfield. Draft MHJ at #3 and focus on building an competent offensive line.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
For what it's worth, who was the last college head coach to jump to the NFL successfully?
I mean you can't possibly be using that for Jim Harbaugh. He has previously been a successful NFL head coach.

I'm tore on Bill to be honest. He struggles with building an offense, but he still can put out some defensively strong teams. As bad as this year was....

Yards Allowed per Game - 4th
Passing Yards Allowed - 11th
Passing TD's Allowed - 4th
Rushing Yards Allowed - 4th
Rushing TD's Allowed - 11th

This is with missing some key pieces on defense for a good part of the season. If you look, 6 of the teams 13 losses were by 7pts or less. With even an average offense, the Patriots likely win those 6 games and finish the season at 10-7 with a shot at the playoffs.

I'd like to see them go out and sign a vet QB like Cousins or Mayfield. Draft MHJ at #3 and focus on building an competent offensive line.
Great, Bill can stay on as defensive coordinator.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
To be honest, I had a brain cramp and completely forgot that he used to be with the 49ers.

My bad.
All good. There's a reason why I am specifically mentioning Harbaugh. Previous track record in NFL and also because he doesn't have the "best" players in college football. Michigan doesn't get the talent Bama, Georgia, Ohio State etc get. They still get good talent but it's more about player development and coaching.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Why would Harbaugh go anywhere? The NCAA is breathing down his neck. If Kraft gives him control to pick his own GM I see no reason why he wouldn't come here. He can pick his QB #3 overall and has tons of cap space. The 49ers were trash when he got that job and so was Michigan. I should also note that Harbaugh got the best out of Alex Smith when everyone thought he was a bust.

Maybe, it seems he’s goal is to get most wins as a coach if he ends up with good players from another GM doing the work that helps him get there i think he does it.

He can’t be an assistant GM though that person should be the only GM and build his own team out. If Bill can’t handle it and starts to inject himself then (especially if they are winning games) he might have a bit more value to trade.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Well that press conference felt like a dying man sitting in front of a row of vultures... Bill looked horrible and didn't even bother to change his shirt as it was the same as the game day Presser.

I "get" that he is a prick and isn't one to feel the need to kiss the ring, but either that was his last sign of defiance to the media obligation - or - he is legit depressed and in a dark spot this morning. I'd gander the latter as it's a tough way to go out with the Jets making snow angels in the end zone as you lose your last game for a place you've given 1/3'rd of your life for (I'm not saying it's charity work he's doing in any way).

The vibes say he's moving on and there will be a massive shakeup of the front office and staff here. But... wouldn't it be nuts if Kraft said he's hiring a GM, Bill says fine but give me 24 months to beat Shula... Bill could stick it to Jonathan by saying "I was happy to coach only but they wanted me gone anyway..." and any future success as a coach would always leave the sting of the one that got away.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'll take Vrabel. Mayo as legit DC.

Get rid of Bills kids. Bills friends. And let Vrabel and Mayo fill the roles they want to fill.

Reactions: Gordoff

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I have zero issue with Belichick the coach. If he truly is willing to give up personnel decisions and just focuses on coaching the roster? 100% okay with him staying.

I just don't see how after having the control he had for so long, he'd just wake up today and decide he's okay with relinquishing that.

That'd be like telling the president of a company that they are now a middle manager/department head or something.

That all being said, I also don't want them to fall into the trend of hiring some "young offensive guru" type. For every McVay, there's a ton of guys that don't belong. Mike McDaniels couldn't coach his way out of a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad