Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs: Patriots finish 4-13, Will pick 3rd. Mayo hired as HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The real question that intrigues me, is whether NE drags out the whole Belichick situation in the hopes that they get a trade offer from another club. There’s probably a franchise out there stupid enough to do it. Just not sure how long it would take, and what the offer would be. You really can’t comp a trade like that.

I could see the Bears, Carolina or the Chargers being stupid enough to try it. Maybe Washington too, if Snyder was still around, but not with the new ownership group.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The real question that intrigues me, is whether NE drags out the whole Belichick situation in the hopes that they get a trade offer from another club. There’s probably a franchise out there stupid enough to do it. Just not sure how long it would take, and what the offer would be. You really can’t comp a trade like that.

I could see the Bears, Carolina or the Chargers being stupid enough to try it. Maybe Washington too, if Snyder was still around, but not with the new ownership group.

I don't even know why Belichick would agree to that. Why would he want to handicap his new team if the old one is gonna fire him anyway? Maybe there's something I don't understand about how this works, but you can't relieve a head coach of his duties and hold him to a contract, right? This wasn't Belichick wanting to leave the Jets, or Payton leaving the Saints with a year and then wanting to coach elsewhere.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I don't even know why Belichick would agree to that. Why would he want to handicap his new team if the old one is gonna fire him anyway? Maybe there's something I don't understand about how this works, but you can't relieve a head coach of his duties and hold him to a contract, right? This wasn't Belichick wanting to leave the Jets, or Payton leaving the Saints with a year and then wanting to coach elsewhere.
I’m not saying it’s likely, but if a team comes forward that he wants to go to, then you work out a deal. Similar to what the Packers did with Rodgers.

Total long shot, I know, and I’m probably overthinking it…

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I’m not saying it’s likely, but if a team comes forward that he wants to go to, then you work out a deal. Similar to what the Packers did with Rodgers.

Total long shot, I know, and I’m probably overthinking it…

But that's my point, why would Belichick okay that? Why would he want his new team to work out a deal? If Kraft wants to fire him force him to fire you. Then he also has to pay you so your new team can use the money saved on guys you want to hire.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Josh Allen is the best bad quarterback I've ever seen.

Maybe there's something I don't understand about how this works, but you can't relieve a head coach of his duties and hold him to a contract, right?
Belichick has a contract with the Patriots.

As long as the Krafts pay him, he can't work for another team without their permission... at least until the contract expires.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Josh Allen is the best bad quarterback I've ever seen.

Belichick has a contract with the Patriots.

As long as the Krafts pay him, he can't work for another team without their permission... at least until the contract expires.

Okay then, so if you're Bill and you want to go to Team Z, don't you tell Team Z, "Just pay me yourself and save the draft pick otherwise I'll go to Team Y who is willing to do that?"

I guess I just don't understand how the Patriots have leverage unless another team is being super super cheap. Like, let's say the Cowboys lose in the first round. Jerry Jones is gonna give up a 2nd rouck pick to save money? He has more money than he'll ever need, but a second round pick could be a starting tackle.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Insane the Dolphins just let them hang around lol, they should be up by a million with all the mistakes the Bills have made.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Okay then, so if you're Bill and you want to go to Team Z, don't you tell Team Z, "Just pay me yourself and save the draft pick otherwise I'll go to Team Y who is willing to do that?"

I guess I just don't understand how the Patriots have leverage unless another team is being super super cheap. Like, let's say the Cowboys lose in the first round. Jerry Jones is gonna give up a 2nd rouck pick to save money? He has more money than he'll ever need, but a second round pick could be a starting tackle.
Another team can't sign Belichick to a contract if he's already under contract to the Patriots.

If the Krafts want to move on, but work out a "trade" for Belichick, they won't fire him. They'll let teams with openings know that they have permission to speak with Bill, and once Bill picks a situation he wants to go to, they'll work out the compensation.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
The Patriots have leverage because they have Belichick under contract.

He can't work for another team in 2024 unless the Krafts allow it.
I wouldnt be surprised if they get the SB but Bills will pull Bills things.

And side note my f***ing phone keeps trying to auto-correct 'out' to 'put' and its annoying as f***.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Classic Bills there

IMG_4719.jpeg

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Seems bizarre to say but every time Tua let's it go i think it's getting picked off. Still has a noodle arm despite his stats.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Buffalo vs Pittsburgh and Miami vs KC are way more fun matchups next week.

If Watt plays, Pittsburgh has a chance. Not a good chance, but a chance….

Reactions: Mione134

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Black Monday predictions……current/upcoming coaching vacancy predictions, based on my unscientific gut…….in order of likelihood.

Chargers
Panthers
Raiders
Falcons
Commanders
Patriots
Bears
Titans

Additional adds, based on Rd 1 playoff performance:
Dallas
Philadelphia

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'd be stunned if the Eagles canned Sirianni.

I could definitely see Kraft taking a run at Vrabel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad