Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs: Patriots finish 4-13, Will pick 3rd. Mayo hired as HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's probably not Jerod Mayo's fault they went 4-13.

I'm guessing that there was a lot of thought put into that succession plan, and it wasn't something that Bob or Jonathan came up with on a whim. They've already devoted resources and put time and effort into executing that plan. People have been hired with Mayo's input.

If the defense had fallen apart this year under Mayo's watch, then I think you might have a reason to doubt your sucession plan. But it didn't. Mayo's unit performed at a relatively high level despite being beset with numerous injuries.

To put it in Patriots terms... Jerod Mayo did his job. He didn't give the Krafts a reason to change the plan.
He did a fine job but I also don't see anything that stands out as a must have in regard to coach in waiting. They're taking a risk on him without even considering much more qualified candidates. I think that's lazy. They're comfortable with Mayo. Being comfortable doesn't make it right.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
He did a fine job but I also don't see anything that stands out as a must have in regard to coach in waiting.
To be fair, we're not inside the building.

We don't see how players and other coaches react to him. We don't see if he commands a room. We can't hear him on the practice field. We don't know his coaching philosophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad