Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Who can we get with the 7-9th pick?
If they're looking at forwards 7-9, it's the guys I listed above. Maybe Cayden Lindstrom too if he slides.

I think the more likely draft slot is the 10-15 range though which would take most of Catton, Iginla, Helenius, and Lindstrom out of the equation.

Reactions: Mgd31

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Any of Catton, Iginla, or Helenius would be incredible for this team. Iginla just feels like he's made for this roster though.
Very questionable about Iginla. Our pick is high, we should draft for a talent. I think it is mistake to draft him by top-15 pick.
Catton is perfect to be our pick, but I think he will be top-6 on this draft.

I don’t have an opinion about Helenius for now. I need to watch a couple more games.

Reactions: My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Very questionable about Iginla. Our pick is high, we should draft for a talent. I think it is mistake to draft him by top-15 pick.
Catton is perfect to be our pick, but I think he will be top-6 on this draft.

I don’t have an opinion about Helenius for now. I need to watch a couple more games.
Iginla is immensely talented and he has the production to match.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Iginla is immensely talented and he has the production to match.

He has production to match. But his talent not on the "sure he will be good top-6 center" level.

im a big not believer in what eliteprospects students tell overall. They love flash and stuff but if they are here - sorry, guys, you should work on your mind. They love some things and always pushes for it. I had a lot of other opinion with their vision and mostly I was WAAAAY much closer to reality in my rank.

From what I see Iginla is doing a lot of things that will never work in NHL, he has his own version of tunnel vision when he is playing with the puck. I dont think that he is top-6 center in NHL and I think part of his game is coachable, but some part of his iq are questionable, he will not really develop his game in the next two years in WHL(and he will not win a roster spot in the Devils organisation in the next two years).

So, he is not my guy for top-12 pick as a center. May be I will change my mind with more data(i did do it many times, because more video is what changing my mind always), but for now this is where am I with him. His game on the puck is good. His work with his teammates when he is with the puck - isnt.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He has production to match. But his talent not on the "sure he will be good top-6 center" level.

im a big not believer in what eliteprospects students tell overall. They love flash and stuff but if they are here - sorry, guys, you should work on your mind. They love some things and always pushes for it. I had a lot of other opinion with their vision and mostly I was WAAAAY much closer to reality in my rank.

From what I see Iginla is doing a lot of things that will never work in NHL, he has his own version of tunnel vision when he is playing with the puck. I dont think that he is top-6 center in NHL and I think part of his game is coachable, but some part of his iq are questionable, he will not really develop his game in the next two years in WHL(and he will not win a roster spot in the Devils organisation in the next two years).

So, he is not my guy for top-12 pick as a center. May be I will change my mind with more data(i did do it many times, because more video is what changing my mind always), but for now this is where am I with him. His game on the puck is good. His work with his teammates when he is with the puck - isnt.

Is anyone saying Iginla projects as top 6 center though? Most people see him as a future LW.

His big selling points are his two-way play and that he’s a power forward.

IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg

Scouching had an good write-up for him in his Jan Rankings (could use a paragraph break tho lol)

Tij Iginla has been a tough one this year. The guy has that dawg in him, that’s for sure. He plays like the son of an NHLer that had the heart of a guy like Jarome Iginla, so that checks out right there. Iginla is a player who seems to be a much more interesting playmaker and passer than he is a goal scorer as his production may indicate, but it’s been so difficult to tell what he really is because Kelowna just hasn’t been particularly great at moving the puck with him on the ice. Lots of metrics are at a low per 60 rate in my data, but that’s because Kelowna just hasn’t had the puck much. Iginla is a prime transition target, and highly effective at it, carrying and pucks extremely well, and shows a ton of success stick checking off-puck as well. Similar to Emil Hemming, this is a player who I think could complement some skilled players extremely well, but this is a guy who does bring some skill to the table himself. He’s a solid shooting talent, but the work rate and vision will take him a long ways as a 200 foot energy player. He could end up much higher on my board by the end of the year, but it’s been hard to get a gauge on just how effective he is because circumstances around him haven’t been great. He’s responsible for taking or setting up 47% of Kelowna’s shot attempts while on the ice, he’s all over the ice without the puck in a good way, but the actual possession numbers and offensive threat levels remain limited.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I agree with your assessment as a center, but why are you assessing him as a center? He can easily just transition to wing at NHL level. For me, I think currently top 10 is iffy but top 15? definitely. At that range, you're hardly ever looking at refined prospects.

Reactions: Guadana

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You absolutely do not trade a top 10ish 1st rounder for any goalie that will be available.

If it gets you a bonafide #1 goalie not named Markstrom, why not? We’ve had plenty of top 10 picks, it’s time to fill immediate needs. If it’s for someone like Ullmark with only one guaranteed year of control, agreed - probably not worth it. But I wouldn’t entirely shutdown the idea of a top 10 pick for a goalie. It’s likely a moot point anyway, but who knows.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We'd all love to change your head (ah, shu-bi-do, ah)
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free your mind instead (ah, shu-bi-do, ah)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I agree with your assessment as a center, but why are you assessing him as a center? He can easily just transition to wing at NHL level. For me, I think currently top 10 is iffy but top 15? definitely. At that range, you're hardly ever looking at refined prospects.
For now we are in position to draft in top-12. And I want center. Yeah, I know, BPA, but I would prefer Better Center Available or Better Defenseman Available.
Is anyone saying Iginla projects as top 6 center though? Most people see him as a future LW.

His big selling points are his two-way play and that he’s a power forward.

View attachment 830442
View attachment 830443

Scouching had an good write-up for him in his Jan Rankings (could use a paragraph break tho lol)
Thanks, another great example of the dude Im not agree often. And this often is in my favor. Eliteprospects and scouching are very focusing on transition, but cant accept the thing that NHL is very punishing on players who is trying to transit the puck by himself on the regular basis. Only special players can do it on the regular basis. And still use partners because defensemen are trying to focus on special players to stop.
Iginla has some pros, but he has cons and I dont like them for 12 pick and for Devils situation. Again, may be this draft year is so bad that we should draft him even higher, but I watched ~7 guys(not closely enough) and I want them more. My draft work is in the beginning.

You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We'd all love to change your head (ah, shu-bi-do, ah)
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free your mind instead (ah, shu-bi-do, ah)
Don't I know it's gonna be alright?

Nah, they are making the same mistakes year after year.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm thinking NJ should be looking at Lindstrom, Catton, or Helenius, trade down (and add a goalie) if they are gone. They need a center in the system badly. It's a shame there's going to be some incredible dman available also at NJ's pick, whoever slides.

However it happens they need to exit draft weekend with an NHL caliber goalie other than Vitek Vanecek, possibly two.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
In the same time Im happy and not happy to have conversations in this thread.

I'm thinking NJ should be looking at Lindstrom, Catton, or Helenius, trade down (and add a goalie) if they are gone. They need a center in the system badly. It's a shame there's going to be some incredible dman available also at NJ's pick, whoever slides.

However it happens they need to exit draft weekend with an NHL caliber goalie other than Vitek Vanecek, possibly two.
Im not against to draft defenseman or even winger if they are really good(even if it is Iginla), we need best players. Our defense is still shaky, our top-6 is still have some issues, especially in the longer run. I believe on of Nabokov or Moiseevich will be available in the third round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad