Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Vegas is an easy enough flight for me. I've been on the fence about going to the St. Patrick's Day game. Ideally I would fly in Sunday morning, catch the game, and stay through Monday night. Part of me is just paranoid that a flight delay would cause me to miss the game. Debated flying in late Saturday and pulling an all nighter, but I think I've reached the age where I can't do that any more. I did that in 2019 and was regretting that decision around 4am.

Yeah, I never book flights game day because I don't trust airlines plus I always like being super refreshed those days + exploring the city beforehand. Vegas is 5 hours from me anyway so doing that would be insane on my end anyway lmao

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
So in 2024 we have:

1st
<traded 2nd to San Jose for Timo Meier et al.>
3rd
<traded 4th to Vancouver for Curtis Lazar>
5th
Colorado's 5th <acquired from San Jose for Shakir Mukhamadullin et al.>
6th
7th

I kind of wish we got a 4th in that San Jose deal so we had a pick in that round. Sucks to lose a 2nd rounder when we have some gaps

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
giphy.gif

After the Kovalchuk contract the NHL put a bunch of rules in place to punish “backdiving” contracts. These are contracts that had high salaries and bonuses in early years but then went to very low numbers in the last couple of years. They were an obvious cap circumvention.

Everyone assumed that the player would simply retire, the cap hit would come off the books, and the team would have benefitted from an artificially low cap hit during the contract’s real years. To address this, the NHL said that if a player retires, the difference between the cap hit when the player played, and the the actual amounts they were paid in salary and bonus would have to be made up.

This is why players with backdiving contracts all experienced mysterious “injuries” and spent (or are spending) the cheap years of their contracts as “injured” rather than retired. Did Marian Hossa retire? Of course not, he simply became allergic to his pads. Shea Weber? Injured. It’s very sad that all these players suddenly become injured when their salaries dip way below their cap hits.

So in 2024 we have:

1st
<traded 2nd to San Jose for Timo Meier et al.>
3rd
<traded 4th to Vancouver for Curtis Lazar>
5th
Colorado's 5th <acquired from San Jose for Shakir Mukhamadullin et al.>
6th
7th

I kind of wish we got a 4th in that San Jose deal so we had a pick in that round. Sucks to lose a 2nd rounder when we have some gaps

Hopefully we’ll get that 2nd back for Toffoli

Reactions: glenwo2

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yes, finally. I know it's $250k, but the guy literally came back to the NHL and retired again since this was put on our cap. It should have come off when he returned to the NHL. F that guy.

Schneider and Kuokkanen come off this year.
Meh. I was against Kovy trade before the trade, but this retired deal was good and was for interests of all three sides.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
For Toffoli we could get a first potentially.

We'll see if we end up sellers. The other problem is that a decent chunk of the late first rounders have already been dealt. Approximate order at the moment:

20. Detroit - seem pretty set at wing
21. Los Angeles - cap space would be an issue
22. Vegas - maybe, but bigger need at center while Eichel is out. Also they're hosting the draft, so I'd imagine the owner wants to retain their 1st.
23. Toronto - probably reserved for a D upgrade
24. Edmonton - maybe, but limited cap space
25. Carolina - owner doesn't want them trading 1sts for rentals
26. Colorado - very limited cap space
27. Dallas - sounds like they're looking for a RD
28. Ottawa (BOS/DET) - Sens won't be buying
29. Montreal (WPG) - Habs won't be buying
30. NY Rangers - probably not, also rumblings that Dolan wants to have their 1st since the draft will be at The Sphere
31. Calgary (VAN) - Flames won't be buying
32. Philadelphia (FLO) - probably not

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We'll see if we end up sellers. The other problem is that a decent chunk of the late first rounders have already been dealt. Approximate order at the moment:

22. Vegas - maybe, but bigger need at center while Eichel is out. Also they're hosting the draft, so I'd imagine the owner wants to retain their 1st.
30. NY Rangers - probably not, also rumblings that Dolan wants to have their 1st since the draft will be at The Sphere
We 100% should be retaining if we're dealing Toffoli imo. Up the value a little.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

Trevor Connelly will be an interesting one unfortunately for off ice reasons. On the surface it seems like it was a stupid teenage decision. But I've read rumblings that certain teams have already decided to avoid drafting him.
following up on this, the athletic put out a big piece on connelly today that, among other things, discusses a number of concerns i had previously heard through the rumor mill. also addresses how unusual it is that he team hopped as much as he did, which i didnt think was initially getting the attention it warranted. in an effort to be fair, the article is not a full tear down of the player and some parties do come to his defense, but i have largely avoided him in my draft work/board construction this year and will likely continue to do so. i do not believe we need to invite controversy to the team, especially so shortly after the mcleod/wjc thing. he is very individually talented, albeit with warts to his game, and ill hope whoever takes him has a robust plan to work through both his on and off ice issues

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
following up on this, the athletic put out a big piece on connelly today that, among other things, discusses a number of concerns i had previously heard through the rumor mill. also addresses how unusual it is that he team hopped as much as he did, which i didnt think was initially getting the attention it warranted. in an effort to be fair, the article is not a full tear down of the player and some parties do come to his defense, but i have largely avoided him in my draft work/board construction this year and will likely continue to do so. i do not believe we need to invite controversy to the team, especially so shortly after the mcleod/wjc thing. he is very individually talented, albeit with warts to his game, and ill hope whoever takes him has a robust plan to work through both his on and off ice issues

I cracked and did a futile mock draft last night and had Connelly going to the Islanders. Lou has had some history with taking some questionable character guys, albeit maybe not to this degree. Connelly is also slated to attend Providence which Lou has history with.

I didn't realize Connelly had jumped around that many youth teams. Probably a decent chance he crossed paths with my friend's kid, so I might have to ask about Connelly next time I see him. Looks like Connelly was out of the Junior Ducks program before Jeff Friesen became the coach of the U14 team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Still would be a little surprised if they dealt their 1st since they're the host. But maybe a 2025 pick would be an option?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
We have some little issues with goaltending. I hope THIS TIME Fitz will prefer to spend at least one pick for goalie from the country where he isnt afraid to draft and where good goalies are manufactured at the factory.

Dmitri Gamzin at eliteprospects.com
Gamzin - mobile but strong goalie, but from the good team. Numbers could deceive. I would prefer to draft other goalie. His career isnt as promising as I could want.

Moiseevich - big, young reactive goalie. He is 19 yo and play solid on every level he played. He is my "want to draft" pick. But I will be happy with other two candidates.

Nabokov is 20 yo goalie who played 40+ games in KHL this season and has very good numbers for this amount of games. He is smaller than I want but skills are there. His career is really intriguing.

Saranchuk isnt big but has okay size, his career is good but he didnt prove himself at KHL level yet. He is 19 yo so it okay for him, he is playing really well in second adult league in Russia. Saranchuk has top-10 all time % for 19 yo, better than Kochetkov, Tarasov and Askarov.

Columbus drafted Ivanov as 18 yo without adult experience. Now he is starter in Admiral with nice numbers 93%. I would prefer to spend middle pick for more proven KHL\VHL goalie and some late pick for younger goalie with good attributes. Would be great to spend one pick for Russian goalie at least. I m not interesting in some average forwards\defensemen with average skill and meh perspectives from junior leagues where they will develop their mediocrity for the next 1-2 years in junior environment.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Would stay away from him and clearly isn’t a good kid but feel like it needs to be said that it’s a pretty tame effort to be fair. Looks more like they’re trying to make it seem like it isn’t just a full tear down of the player while in reality that’s fully what it is.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
How can we get that 2nd rounder back, because to get a goalie that @Guadana is recommending, it likely will take that.
Could trade down to pick up a 2nd rounder. Also it takes like 5 years for goalies to develop, so it’s a little late to try to develop one through the draft at this point.

Guys like Nico and Bratt will already be 30 before a goalie drafted in the 2024 draft even starts to make an impact.

Reactions: My3Sons

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Could trade down to pick up a 2nd rounder. Also it takes like 5 years for goalies to develop, so it’s a little late to try to develop one through the draft at this point.

Guys like Nico and Bratt will already be 30 before a goalie drafted in the 2024 draft even starts to make an impact.

Zero chance a currently 19/20 year old KHL experienced guy could come in sooner?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

1708718835817.png

Bratt signed for another 7 years. Nemec and Luke are on ELC. Or we wanna play this goalie game for ALL the next 10 years?

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
View attachment 824322

Bratt signed for another 7 years. Nemec and Luke are on ELC. Or we wanna play this goalie game for ALL the next 10 years?
Isn't there some KHL goalie that would make an impact now? Some late bloomer who has developed over the past few years and is ready to make the jump?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There is an interesting goalie prospect, Joshua Ravensbergen but sadly he is penciled for the 2025 draft.
Yeah, lets not draft Russian goalie again and will was.. use goalie pick for younger CHLer next year(too bad he isnt available for a pick this year). He will develop faster in more competitive environment and will be ready for NHL sooner, this strategy worked for us really well before and our NY neighbors suffer because of their wrong decisions.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Isn't there some KHL goalie that would make an impact now? Some late bloomer who has developed over the past few years and is ready to make the jump?
There are some good goalies on the market, there are some huge interesting goalies after next year(Isayev, he is insane), but every KHL goalie should start at least as a back up or even better try himself in AHL for the beginning because goalies always have issues with transition.

Nabokov(I mentioned him in draft message before) has the best sv% from 40+ games goalies. 92.8. There are only 9 goalies with 40+ games btw now.

I mentioned Dorozhko before this year, I would try him in AHL or as a backup for a good goalie. He is big but his season isnt as good as I want to, but still okay and he is free agent.

Overall this is a draft thread and we should think about making our depth of the system much better. And think about some perspective. Nabokov already is very good KHL starter and can join this team when all(most) of our players will be on their peak. This does not exclude the search for a goalie for the tasks for the next couple of years. Moiseevich is very promising too and big. And mobile. I really think both could be drafted in 2nd and or 3rd round. I would trade first round pick for late first/early second and middle/late second to draft both. Time to make this team better.

Also it takes like 5 years for goalies to develop, so it’s a little late to try to develop one through the draft at this point.

Daws was drafted in 20, Schmid was drafted in 18. Its 2024 now, 5 and 7 years after. Both are not NHL starters.
CHL goalies? No. thanks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad