Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There are some good goalies on the market, there are some huge interesting goalies after next year(Isayev, he is insane), but every KHL goalie should start at least as a back up or even better try himself in AHL for the beginning because goalies always have issues with transition.

Nabokov(I mentioned him in draft message before) has the best sv% from 40+ games goalies. 92.8. There are only 9 goalies with 40+ games btw now.

I mentioned Dorozhko before this year, I would try him in AHL or as a backup for a good goalie. He is big but his season isnt as good as I want to, but still okay and he is free agent.

Overall this is a draft thread and we should think about making our depth of the system much better. And think about some perspective. Nabokov already is very good KHL starter and can join this team when all(most) of our players will be on their peak. This does not exclude the search for a goalie for the tasks for the next couple of years. Moiseevich is very promising too and big. And mobile. I really think both could be drafted in 2nd and or 3rd round. I would trade first round pick for late first/early second and middle/late second to draft both. Time to make this team better.

Daws was drafted in 20, Schmid was drafted in 18. Its 2024 now, 5 and 7 years after. Both are not NHL starters.
CHL goalies? No. thanks.
I'm amazed a team struggling like NJ hasn't tried to lure a top KHL guy for a late season AHL audition for the past couple of years.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm amazed a team struggling like NJ hasn't tried to lure a top KHL guy for a late season AHL audition for the past couple of years.
Really good goalies are not available often, teams are trying to sign them before the deal will end. But there are option on the draft every year. Some goalies can reject offers because for example Dorozhko will have more real money in KHL than in AHL so may be he afraid he will not be a regular NHL so its better for him to build solid KHL career.
There are some good options in KHL too, but they are 5'11 or 5'10 and on my taste small goalies are struggle in modern NHL so I didnt mentioned them. Like Galkin - talented goalie, free agent, solid career, young enough, but 5'11. Pleshkov - very intriguing career, great numbers, great technique, young, but 5'10.
Nikita Podskrebalin at eliteprospects.com
Podskrebalin is a good option for try for AHL for next year, he is free agent too.

Overall from what I see I would focus on the draft from goalie market(and Russian goalie market specifically) and would prefer to spend picks for Moiseevich, Nabokov and Saranchuk. Its better to pick two of them. Fitz should did it long time ago. Kochetkov was 20 when he was drafted in 2019. We drafted Schmid in 2018.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We had this conversation with Guadana before, and he also noted that - why would a KHL team sell a player to an NHL team when they need them to play in the KHL? And the player might be getting paid much better than they would in a standard two-way contract, so why would the PLAYER want their KHL team to sell them to an NHL team and then make less money.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Really good goalies are not available often, teams are trying to sign them before the deal will end. But there are option on the draft every year. Some goalies can reject offers because for example Dorozhko will have more real money in KHL than in AHL so may be he afraid he will not be a regular NHL so its better for him to build solid KHL career.
There are some good options in KHL too, but they are 5'11 or 5'10 and on my taste small goalies are struggle in modern NHL so I didnt mentioned them. Like Galkin - talented goalie, free agent, solid career, young enough, but 5'11. Pleshkov - very intriguing career, great numbers, great technique, young, but 5'10.
Nikita Podskrebalin at eliteprospects.com
Podskrebalin is a good option for try for AHL for next year, he is free agent too.

Overall from what I see I would focus on the draft from goalie market(and Russian goalie market specifically) and would prefer to spend picks for Moiseevich, Nabokov and Saranchuk. Its better to pick two of them. Fitz should did it long time ago. Kochetkov was 20 when he was drafted in 2019. We drafted Schmid in 2018.
Yes, yes, YES! I want an Evgeni Stopuckalov to call my own.
IMG_3118.gif

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Didn't have a 1st or 3rd pick last year. Don't have a 2nd and 4th this year.

Lacking top picks and being thin overall leads to a lot of issues filling spots later.
Toffoli will bring back a pick. I can see teams calling about Brendan Smith for depth, potentially even Nosek although likely not for him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We have some little issues with goaltending. I hope THIS TIME Fitz will prefer to spend at least one pick for goalie from the country where he isnt afraid to draft and where good goalies are manufactured at the factory.

Dmitri Gamzin at eliteprospects.com
Gamzin - mobile but strong goalie, but from the good team. Numbers could deceive. I would prefer to draft other goalie. His career isnt as promising as I could want.

Moiseevich - big, young reactive goalie. He is 19 yo and play solid on every level he played. He is my "want to draft" pick. But I will be happy with other two candidates.

Nabokov is 20 yo goalie who played 40+ games in KHL this season and has very good numbers for this amount of games. He is smaller than I want but skills are there. His career is really intriguing.

Saranchuk isnt big but has okay size, his career is good but he didnt prove himself at KHL level yet. He is 19 yo so it okay for him, he is playing really well in second adult league in Russia. Saranchuk has top-10 all time % for 19 yo, better than Kochetkov, Tarasov and Askarov.

Columbus drafted Ivanov as 18 yo without adult experience. Now he is starter in Admiral with nice numbers 93%. I would prefer to spend middle pick for more proven KHL\VHL goalie and some late pick for younger goalie with good attributes. Would be great to spend one pick for Russian goalie at least. I m not interesting in some average forwards\defensemen with average skill and meh perspectives from junior leagues where they will develop their mediocrity for the next 1-2 years in junior environment.

Wait, which part of Switzerland are these goalies from?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In case you need some hockey to watch on Wednesday, NHL Network will have Oshawa (RW Bennett Sennecke) vs. Windsor (LW/RW Liam Greentree). Bob McKenzie's midseason ranking had Greentree at #17 and Sennecke at #19.

Edit: Bah, had a brain fart. It's Oshawa and London not Windsor.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What centers will be where we will likely be picking? What goalies could potentially go in the 2nd round, should we restore our selection there?

This might be the sort of draft to throw need out of the window. Bob's midseason ranking didn't have any centers in the 11-20 range. Read some other accounts that the back end of the first round isn't particularly great, so that was why a team like Winnipeg was willing to risk their 1st for Sean Monahan.

If we keep the pick, I'd be fine with taking a winger if he's BPA. By the time the 2024 pick is ready for the NHL, Palat's deal could be close to ending.

Bob's highest goalies weren't ranked until the third round. He had a cluster with Eemil Vinni (#69, Finland), Carter George (#70, Owen Sound), Ryerson Leenders (#72, Mississaugua), Nick Kempf (#78, USNTDP), Kim Saarinen (#79, Finland), and Caleb Heil (#80, Sioux Falls).

Some teams won't draft a goalie under 6'3, so we might see a few of these guys drop.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was listening to the Jeff Marek podcast yesterday. While discussing the Tanev trade, Friedman mentioned that Sportsnet's Sam Cosentino and Jason Bukala had told them there's a noticeable drop off in talent around #20.

That seems to mesh with some other stuff I've read recently. Updated NHL.com ranking:

Last edited:

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Can someone provide some insight on Tij Iginla or Carter George? Top 3-5 goalies?

If all things are considered equal, we really need to improve our center depth and that is the route I’d go in the first round.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Can someone provide some insight on Tij Iginla or Carter George? Top 3-5 goalies?

If all things are considered equal, we really need to improve our center depth and that is the route I’d go in the first round.
iginla has been on a meteoric rise this year after starting off the season under most peoples radars due to having previously been buried on a deep thunderbirds roster. in short, everything about his toolkit, play style, and habits looks like a slam dunk nhler. hes an elite forechecker. quick on the puck, ready to engage physically, and adept at small area handling. he has fantastic positional awareness be it in terms of supporting teammates by providing passing lanes or navigating space around defenders. he shows great cutbacks and responsiveness to pressure on the puck. his vision and manipulation are both solid and while youll see plenty of ideas fail at this point, the combination of these attributes with his physical play should make him a menace in the offensive zone. goes without saying how great his shot is. heavy, accurate, off his stick quickly, and hes excellent at driving interior scoring lanes, too. he exists to generate pro-style scoring chances and his pace, compete, physical intensity, and ability to play off his linemates all combine to give him a great outlook. tij would be a fantastic addition to this team. we would get much needed help in terms of developing a heavier forechecking game and stronger offensive zone possessions. everyone wants to compare him to his father, but to me, he reminds me of what hagel looks like in tampa

that said, he does have some potential drawbacks. lots of plays die on his stick. my gut is that its basically just the trade off for getting this type of player, but he frequently tries to power through defenses when he shouldnt or force plays that arent there (due to overconfidence and not poor reads imo), and its not uncommon to have a full game viewing where you see tons of ideas going nowhere. what can kind of play into this point is that hes also not conventionally dynamic in terms of skillset. dynamic is definitely a tick work in scouting, but its true that outside of his heavy shot, i dont know if theres anything that overtly high end. his skating isnt special and his playmaking is carried more by his vision than technical ability/creativity, for example. to his credit, though, hes always trying to generate something and its not just mindless get the puck on net type plays. a couple other minor complaints are that i dont know know if id call him a 200ft player (though its easy to project him as competent long term) and while hes had reps at C, i think hes more likely a winger at the next level

switching gears to carter george, ill preface i havent done a ton of goalie work yet (i usually like to have a more solidified skater ranking before blending them in), but i can offer a brief report. george's game is all about stability in net. calm, cool, and collected. always focused on positional play. patient with shooters, too. feels like hes always squared up to the shot before its even off the attackers stick. now, hes pretty lacking in terms of frame or any truly defining abilities, but hes more than capable of highlight reel saves and even single handedly winning some games. he definitely plays much bigger than he is. this poor kid sees so many shots with owen sound. in fact, the most shots against in the OHL as of writing this. certainly would think hes capable of handling an intense workload. personally, im less high on tools with goalies and more interested in composure and discipline (part of why i liked fowler last year), so while im not set on anything yet, it wont be surprising if im high on him come draft day

like i said, im not fully in the 2024 goalie space yet, so ill refrain from defining a top 3 or 5. some names to watch, though: George, Gidlof, Leenders, Moysevich, Nabokov, Saarinen, Vinni, Yegorov. should note its not a particularly great goalie class this year, anything before mid/late 2nd feels too early at this point

and finally, as frustrating as its been watching us avoid drafting centers, i dont believe this is the class to go early on one. if a helenius or someone makes it to our pick, by all means go ahead, but i will likely not be banging the table for one, wherever we pick in the first, because i expect the wingers and/or defenders to be better value

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
iginla has been on a meteoric rise this year after starting off the season under most peoples radars due to having previously been buried on a deep thunderbirds roster. in short, everything about his toolkit, play style, and habits looks like a slam dunk nhler. hes an elite forechecker. quick on the puck, ready to engage physically, and adept at small area handling. he has fantastic positional awareness be it in terms of supporting teammates by providing passing lanes or navigating space around defenders. he shows great cutbacks and responsiveness to pressure on the puck. his vision and manipulation are both solid and while youll see plenty of ideas fail at this point, the combination of these attributes with his physical play should make him a menace in the offensive zone. goes without saying how great his shot is. heavy, accurate, off his stick quickly, and hes excellent at driving interior scoring lanes, too. he exists to generate pro-style scoring chances and his pace, compete, physical intensity, and ability to play off his linemates all combine to give him a great outlook. tij would be a fantastic addition to this team. we would get much needed help in terms of developing a heavier forechecking game and stronger offensive zone possessions. everyone wants to compare him to his father, but to me, he reminds me of what hagel looks like in tampa

that said, he does have some potential drawbacks. lots of plays die on his stick. my gut is that its basically just the trade off for getting this type of player, but he frequently tries to power through defenses when he shouldnt or force plays that arent there (due to overconfidence and not poor reads imo), and its not uncommon to have a full game viewing where you see tons of ideas going nowhere. what can kind of play into this point is that hes also not conventionally dynamic in terms of skillset. dynamic is definitely a tick work in scouting, but its true that outside of his heavy shot, i dont know if theres anything that overtly high end. his skating isnt special and his playmaking is carried more by his vision than technical ability/creativity, for example. to his credit, though, hes always trying to generate something and its not just mindless get the puck on net type plays. a couple other minor complaints are that i dont know know if id call him a 200ft player (though its easy to project him as competent long term) and while hes had reps at C, i think hes more likely a winger at the next level

switching gears to carter george, ill preface i havent done a ton of goalie work yet (i usually like to have a more solidified skater ranking before blending them in), but i can offer a brief report. george's game is all about stability in net. calm, cool, and collected. always focused on positional play. patient with shooters, too. feels like hes always squared up to the shot before its even off the attackers stick. now, hes pretty lacking in terms of frame or any truly defining abilities, but hes more than capable of highlight reel saves and even single handedly winning some games. he definitely plays much bigger than he is. this poor kid sees so many shots with owen sound. in fact, the most shots against in the OHL as of writing this. certainly would think hes capable of handling an intense workload. personally, im less high on tools with goalies and more interested in composure and discipline (part of why i liked fowler last year), so while im not set on anything yet, it wont be surprising if im high on him come draft day

like i said, im not fully in the 2024 goalie space yet, so ill refrain from defining a top 3 or 5. some names to watch, though: George, Gidlof, Leenders, Moysevich, Nabokov, Saarinen, Vinni, Yegorov. should note its not a particularly great goalie class this year, anything before mid/late 2nd feels too early at this point

and finally, as frustrating as its been watching us avoid drafting centers, i dont believe this is the class to go early on one. if a helenius or someone makes it to our pick, by all means go ahead, but i will likely not be banging the table for one, wherever we pick in the first, because i expect the wingers and/or defenders to be better value
Awesome post. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed analysis!!

• Love
Reactions: evnted

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

You should take your sh1t together, start to formulate information about this draft, make it clear. Steve isn't doing this job anymore, im in hangover after trading another good kid I made tonns of video. So you should save the day. Devils fans needs to know what they are looking for, whats options they are having, what different scout and especially you are thinking about this young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad