Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Any thoughts on Silayev, Guadana? Imagine him and Nemec as a pairing lol
He is little bit slow on my taste, but okay for his size. He is understanding positioning, play against driving the net, gap control. His offensive upside is questionable, he isn't as dynamic as Simashev, but his passing game and his escaping is on the very good level for his age. Overall ots hard to judge his offensive potential because he is very young for his level of competition and he is playing more simple game now. He has his kids mistakes and some problems with the game on the shorter distance as every big defenseman in the world.
I don't know where we will pick and will we have this pick at all. I'm not against to draft him, he is a very good kid, but I liked Simashev much more and I would prefer center with top 6 potential but it doesn't look lie there are a lot of options. I need more info about this draft.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
You should take your sh1t together, start to formulate information about this draft, make it clear. Steve isn't doing this job anymore, im in hangover after trading another good kid I made tonns of video. So you should save the day. Devils fans needs to know what they are looking for, whats options they are having, what different scout and especially you are thinking about this young players.
surely this novel is just a front and he'll be posting his rankings any day now :sarcasm: but sounds good, appreciate the response. ill plan to do something bigger/more official a little closer to the draft. in the meantime ill try to help find a remedy for your hangover;) lol

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
surely this novel is just a front and he'll be posting his rankings any day now :sarcasm: but sounds good, appreciate the response. ill plan to do something bigger/more official a little closer to the draft. in the meantime ill try to help find a remedy for your hangover;) lol
My remedies are Moiseevich and Nabokov.

We need to take a fwd or center in this draft...
With Bratt, Meier, Mercer, Holtz, Gritsyuk, Hameenaho I feel need is more about centers and goalies than fwds overall.

Last edited:

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
If only we had a 2nd round selection this year to take a flyer on a goalie. Honestly, these pick conditions piss me off. We gave San Jose a 1st in 2023 for Meier, and then a 2nd in 2024 that would upgrade to a 1st if we made the conference finals (hoo hoo hoo). Why didn't we also say, no pick at all if we miss the f'ing playoffs?

• Haha
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If only we had a 2nd round selection this year to take a flyer on a goalie. Honestly, these pick conditions piss me off. We gave San Jose a 1st in 2023 for Meier, and then a 2nd in 2024 that would upgrade to a 1st if we made the conference finals (hoo hoo hoo). Why didn't we also say, no pick at all if we miss the f'ing playoffs?
This is what it is, Karlsson, Duchene and others were traded and created similar circumstances. At least Meier is staying with us.
We have Toffoli to trade, so its not like we can't find other picks to draft in earlier rounds.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

We massively overpaid for Meier both in trade and contract

Reactions: nugg and Japam

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
What you think 1st, 2nd, top D prospect after Nemec, an NHL young winger, and an NHL young defenseman was too much for one guy? hehe I'm being sarcastic, it was a lot. Considering Zetterlund and Okhotiouk have been regulars for them and Mukhamadullin looked decent in his handful of games (I'm not sure why he isn't playing). They could legitimately have 5 NHL players on the team a few years from now from this trade.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd agree that his contract is bloated but the reality is he wasn't signing anywhere for less. If he went into the offseason and NJ didn't qualify him you think he's not getting a $9+ mil offer for 7years from some Canadian team or some dopey team that saw itself as one player away from contention? Unfortunately, while NJ has come a long way in the past couple of years as a reasonable place to play, it isn't a top destination and still has to pay something of a penalty in any free agent deal with a non-homegrown player. As far as the price paid in the trade, NJ got a top six wing who filled a role for them that they didn't have a player for at a good age, and with some demographic fit, for a low first, a nice but redundant prospect in Mukhamadullin, and what is going to be a second rounder. They also got Hatakka who himself is probably worth the second rounder. That's not nothing, and they could have used the second rounder this season if a goalie trade materialized, but overall it's not like they gave away some sure shot future for the present. Don't forget that other teams wanted Meier and they had to offer a bit more to get him. He's finally looking better which suggests he's getting over his injury. Other than maybe Hischier Bratt Toffoli and Jack who is even close to earning his contract this season. I could argue every single player on the team has played below their contract value. Let's see what a coaching change and a new goalie and a fresh start brings them next season. As bad as it's been, they are above NHL 500 and on nights they show up they are still a force. Hopefully that can translate next season. We also can't forget they needed all seven games to beat the Rangers. How much is that win worth? If you told the team they would beat the Rangers in the playoffs in return for a low first round pick, they'd almost certainly have said yes.

Reactions: Guadana

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'd agree that his contract is bloated but the reality is he wasn't signing anywhere for less. If he went into the offseason and NJ didn't qualify him you think he's not getting a $9+ mil offer for 7years from some Canadian team or some dopey team that saw itself as one player away from contention? Unfortunately, while NJ has come a long way in the past couple of years as a reasonable place to play, it isn't a top destination and still has to pay something of a penalty in any free agent deal with a non-homegrown player. As far as the price paid in the trade, NJ got a top six wing who filled a role for them that they didn't have a player for at a good age, and with some demographic fit, for a low first, a nice but redundant prospect in Mukhamadullin, and what is going to be a second rounder. They also got Hatakka who himself is probably worth the second rounder. That's not nothing, and they could have used the second rounder this season if a goalie trade materialized, but overall it's not like they gave away some sure shot future for the present. Don't forget that other teams wanted Meier and they had to offer a bit more to get him. He's finally looking better which suggests he's getting over his injury. Other than maybe Hischier Bratt Toffoli and Jack who is even close to earning his contract this season. I could argue every single player on the team has played below their contract value. Let's see what a coaching change and a new goalie and a fresh start brings them next season. As bad as it's been, they are above NHL 500 and on nights they show up they are still a force. Hopefully that can translate next season. We also can't forget they needed all seven games to beat the Rangers. How much is that win worth? If you told the team they would beat the Rangers in the playoffs in return for a low first round pick, they'd almost certainly have said yes.

There are seven teams in the entire NHL that are under NHL .500. It means nothing.

This team has not been able to forecheck effectively in the entire Lindy Ruff era. They had one hot regular season and a goalie go into god mode in round 1. That’s all this team has accomplished.

At this point I have zero faith in the front office, the coaching staff, and the on-ice leadership on the team. It needs to be totally rebuilt.

My3Sons

Sponsor
There are seven teams in the entire NHL that are under NHL .500. It means nothing.

This team has not been able to forecheck effectively in the entire Lindy Ruff era. They had one hot regular season and a goalie go into god mode in round 1. That’s all this team has accomplished.

At this point I have zero faith in the front office, the coaching staff, and the on-ice leadership on the team. It needs to be totally rebuilt.
they are still better than they were the season they drafted Nemec and everything has gone wrong this season. You have some solid talent now at least. I'm not a fan of Ruff as a coach but I'm not sure a full rebuild is necessary. They need some changes but this is largely the same team that was great just one season ago. How they find some way to return to that level of play is the key thing. I would start with the coaches and go from there. I'd also send everyone that needs surgery after the season for it now. Something tells me that the injuries have been nagging some guys virtually all year. It's just been about as bad a season as they could have had.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

You forgot Zetterlund and Okhotiouk in addition to a low first, a high second, Mukhamadullin (not really redundant with our LD woes).

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You forgot Zetterlund and Okhotiouk in addition to a low first, a high second, Mukhamadullin (not really redundant with our LD woes).

Mukhamadullin was absolutely redundant.

He has 6G 18A in the AHL and 2G 9A were scored on the PP. A whole lot of his production in the KHL was on the PP.

With Hamilton, Luke and Nemec all on the team for sure, how much PP time can we give Muk?

And you’re suggesting another offense-oriented rookie would help keep pucks out of net?

He wouldn’t PK. Who is Muk replacing?

It made complete sense to trade Muk after drafting a defenseman at #2 and #4. We didn’t trade Brock Faber away here.

My3Sons

Sponsor

High second? Pick 40 or so isn’t that great in my view but while Zetterlund and Okhotyuk are nice stories they aren’t that valuable as trade chips. I’d argue Hatakka is better in the short term than Mukhamadullin even if Mukhamadullin will pass him as a player over the next couple of years. If Zetterlund was in NJ Holtz probably wouldn’t be. One of them likely had to go.

My3Sons

Sponsor
We paid more than Arizona paid for Taylor Hall. Has anyone given up more for a rental recently?

Fair point but it depends upon how you view a rental. Meier had a year left of team control. It would have been expensive and required arbitration but it existed. That’s worth something. Overall it wasn’t a franchise changing price even if it was more than it house have been. The Palat deal is worse and so is the Vanacek deal. None of this is central to why the team stinks this season in my opinion but you aren’t wrong either.

Reactions: Guttersniped

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Mukhamadullin was absolutely redundant.

He has 6G 18A in the AHL and 2G 9A were scored on the PP. A whole lot of his production in the KHL was on the PP.

With Hamilton, Luke and Nemec all on the team for sure, how much PP time can we give Muk?

And you’re suggesting another offense-oriented rookie would help keep pucks out of net?

He wouldn’t PK. Who is Muk replacing?

It made complete sense to trade Muk after drafting a defenseman at #2 and #4. We didn’t trade Brock Faber away here.

My point was that he wasn't redundant to us, not that he was a poor choice to trade. We all agreed that our depth in defense in general allowed us the luxury of trading a guy like Mukhamadullin. But I didn't say he was less redundant due to his PP prowess; I don't see him as necessarily an offense-first D, and he's a left D, which we're a little thinner at right now. Dougie and Nemec are RD, so to me, they were out of that equation. I think if in some weird universe he didn't get traded, he'd have had a shot at playing this year with our LD troubles (Siegenthaler, Bahl, Luke, Smith/Miller)

High second? Pick 40 or so isn’t that great in my view but while Zetterlund and Okhotyuk are nice stories they aren’t that valuable as trade chips. I’d argue Hatakka is better in the short term than Mukhamadullin even if Mukhamadullin will pass him as a player over the next couple of years. If Zetterlund was in NJ Holtz probably wouldn’t be. One of them likely had to go.

40th overall is a high second. Top third of the round I'd argue is high second... some really great players are picked there.

Zetterlund and Okhotyuk are okay, and definitely mid players - 3rd liner (Zetts) and 3rd pair (Ok). But that IS a thing.

Again, my argument wasn't that these are world-beaters, just that there are 2 NHLers, 1 soon to be NHLer, and potentially 2 more from the trade, that's all. It was a lot of assets. Too much? No, if Meier is a 40 goal forward who grinds and Hatakka can be a callup/7D or even 3rd pair someday. But still, a lot of reasonable assets. We didn't ship them garbage.

Fair point but it depends upon how you view a rental. Meier had a year left of team control. It would have been expensive and required arbitration but it existed. That’s worth something. Overall it wasn’t a franchise changing price even if it was more than it house have been. The Palat deal is worse and so is the Vanacek deal. None of this is central to why the team stinks this season in my opinion but you aren’t wrong either.
Meier could've been a rental / short-termer, but once he re-signed I think that went away and I'm positive there were indications on the sly that he wanted to sign longer term.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Iginla and Greentree are the two guys I'm most curious about right now. But we'll see where we end up. Trevor Connelly would be interesting as well but dunno if teams might red flag him for character concern.

Reactions: Bone Density

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad