2024 NHL Draft prospects

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I cant wait to see how many of these names dont even end up getting drafted.

There is no possible way to tell who will be NHL talent and who wont at the ages of 13/14 unless youre a McDavid level talent.

If this thread was made 5 years before the 2020 draft you wouldnt have even heard the name Lafreniere.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
i can almost guarantee kiviharju will be drafted 1OA, the skill he has is insane, he's been playing at an elite level with kids older than him

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
i can almost guarantee kiviharju will be drafted 1OA, the skill he has is insane, he's been playing at an elite level with kids older than him

Way too early to predict anything . Way too many 13/14 year old phenoms fell of the face of the earth after a couple years.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
From Quebec, goalie Gabriel D'Aigle looks very good. Late 05 birthday Loic Goyette could be a high end player as well.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
There is an impressive goalie prospect Emil Vinni (late 2005) from Finland. He has already played a game in the Finnish U20 league. Erikfromfin wrote this in the Finnish Prospect thread:

Watched at Pohjola-leiri was chosen best goalie I think he would have been starter for U16 national team ahead of Karppinen and Vali. The U20 game was vs Kalpa and theres good quality and superbly edited video of the game on youtube + just a goalie video of Vinni

The Match

Vinni camera

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He looks like the frontrunner but it is way too early as so many things can happen.

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
were they playing in a U-18 league at 14?

I'm sorry, but I'm really having a hard time to understand why someone has to try to create such a hype over a 14-year old child? And especially when the poor kid has been apparently injured in this U18 -league, and therefore not even been able to really play there.

Cream always rises to the top, you don't have to pull it. Let the kid, and others in class of -06 grow and mature for 2-3 years, then it makes more sense to start talking about who-should-go-at-what-number.

Reactions: dwgs

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
At 10 years old, Kiviharju was already at the level of the best 12-year-old players in the world.

Already in 2016, he could be detected as a potential elite prospect.

This is exactly what is fun. Try to spot the most promising players and see how they evolve over time.

Thanks to the database of the EP site, it is possible to discover the best 12-13 year old players in each of the major nations. It's really exciting.

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
This is exactly what is fun. Try to spot the most promising players and see how they evolve over time.

Thanks to the database of the EP site, it is possible to discover the best 12-13 year old players in each of the major nations. It's really exciting.

Agreed, and nothing wrong with that. But when people start locking these talents as 1stOA - 4 or 5 years before the draft, it gets out of hand if you ask me. If nothing else, mess up these kids' heads in early puberty (emotionally difficult and fragile time for all of them), and effectively maybe having a negative impact on their overall development. Or what would be the most horrible outcome - some kid reaches his full potential after working 100% for several years, but due to the excess hype, would be seen as a failure by himself and everyone else in the hockey community. Even when he should have been celebrated for reaching his dream and target.

For us grown-ups it might be fun, but 14 y.o. kids might take it much more seriously.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed, and nothing wrong with that. But when people start locking these talents as 1stOA - 4 or 5 years before the draft, it gets out of hand if you ask me. If nothing else, mess up these kids' heads in early puberty (emotionally difficult and fragile time for all of them), and effectively maybe having a negative impact on their overall development. Or what would be the most horrible outcome - some kid reaches his full potential after working 100% for several years, but due to the excess hype, would be seen as a failure by himself and everyone else in the hockey community. Even when he should have been celebrated for reaching his dream and target.

For us grown-ups it might be fun, but 14 y.o. kids might take it much more seriously.

There was other stuff, but ime it didn't do Joe any good, and that was before the internet.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I have the feeling that this 2024 draft will be the first in which the Europeans will have a majority.

This time all the major European nations will be on top. This year there have been 43% Europeans and in 2024 there will probably be many more Russians (22), Czechs (8), Slovaks (2) and Swiss (0) than in 2020. If we start from a base of 40 Russians, 30 Swedes, 20 Finns, 20 Czechoslovakians and 10 others (Belarusians, Swiss, etc.) that makes 120/224.

Sportingly, it doesn't make any sense to keep the whole league in North America.

I hope that the league will know how to evolve with a North American conference and a European conference.

In terms of consumers, Europe is a bigger market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad