2024 NHL Draft prospects

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I have the feeling that this 2024 draft will be the first in which the Europeans will have a majority.

This time all the major European nations will be on top. This year there have been 43% Europeans and in 2024 there will probably be many more Russians (22), Czechs (8), Slovaks (2) and Swiss (0) than in 2020. If we start from a base of 40 Russians, 30 Swedes, 20 Finns, 20 Czechoslovakians and 10 others (Belarusians, Swiss, etc.) that makes 120/224.

Sportingly, it doesn't make any sense to keep the whole league in North America.

I hope that the league will know how to evolve with a North American conference and a European conference.

In terms of consumers, Europe is a bigger market.

Well, maybe Europeans will have a majority in that draft, but i don't know if Slovakia will have more than 2 players. After the stronger birthyears of 2004 and 2005, birthyear 2006 looks a bit weaker for us. Of course, it's still really far and you can't do the rank for the 2-7 round 4 years ahead. Right now it looks real that only Jakub Chromiak will be drafted which is only 1 player.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Well, maybe Europeans will have a majority in that draft, but i don't know if Slovakia will have more than 2 players. After the stronger birthyears of 2004 and 2005, birthyear 2006 looks a bit weaker for us. Of course, it's still really far and you can't do the rank for the 2-7 round 4 years ahead. Right now it looks real that only Jakub Chromiak will be drafted which is only 1 player.

It's too early to tell but I don't think there will be not any continuity in the new Czechoslovak dynamic. I was talking about 20 players. This year, even in a miserable vintage with good players put aside and with 8 places less than there will be in 2024, there were still 10. It's not crazy to imagine 20 for 2024. Anyway, that was a rounded estimate. I think there will be more than 20 Finns for example. The fact that young Europeans are playing hockey while North Americans will not have played for almost a year means that the process of majority change, inevitable since the end of the last decade, will accelerate and occur this decade.

Reactions: hellwar9

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
No one is GM. Each tries to identify the best players of their generation of the moment by position and by nation in order to see how they are evolving. For example, currently the best Finnish goalkeeper born in 2005 is Emil Vinni. Also eligible in 2024. Just played his first match in U20 at 14 and only conceded one goal (20/21)

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
In Eastern Ontario, Nathan Villeneuve is the best prospect and sure-fire top 10 pick for the OHL draft at this point. He averaged more than a goal per game in both regular season and playoffs, and actually had more goals in the playoffs than the next three top scorers combined. When he played up for the U15 AAA team, he averaged 2.0 PPG, which was higher than the league's top scorer among the '05s. There was talk he'd play up this year as part of the U18, but didn't ultimately happen. He is certainly on par with guys like Mason McTavish and Connor Lockhart at the same age, but comes in a much bigger frame and very physical.
Nathan Villeneuve at eliteprospects.com

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have the feeling that this 2024 draft will be the first in which the Europeans will have a majority.

This time all the major European nations will be on top. This year there have been 43% Europeans and in 2024 there will probably be many more Russians (22), Czechs (8), Slovaks (2) and Swiss (0) than in 2020. If we start from a base of 40 Russians, 30 Swedes, 20 Finns, 20 Czechoslovakians and 10 others (Belarusians, Swiss, etc.) that makes 120/224.

Sportingly, it doesn't make any sense to keep the whole league in North America.

I hope that the league will know how to evolve with a North American conference and a European conference.

In terms of consumers, Europe is a bigger market.

What exactly are you basing this on?

Overall draft or first round?

leafs4ev3r

Nov 8, 2020
Here's a look at the top 5 eligible prospects for next years 2022 OHL Draft (O6)...

1. Michael Hage F - Toronto Jr. Canadiens - Oakville, ON, CAN
Michael Hage at eliteprospects.com

2. Henry Mews D - Ottawa Senators 06 - Ottawa, ON, CAN
Henry Mews at eliteprospects.com

3. Malcolm Spence F - Mississauga Sens 06 - Burlington, ON, CAN
Malcolm Spence at eliteprospects.com

4. Gabriel Frasca F - Mississauga Sens 06 - Toronto, ON, CAN
Gabriel Frasca at eliteprospects.com

5. Lucas Karmiris F - Brantford 99ers 06 - Brantford, ON, CAN
Lucas Karmiris at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Dominance

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Here's a look at the top 5 eligible prospects for next years 2022 OHL Draft (O6)...

Next year's OHL draft is 2021. I was wondering why I didn't see a couple of names on this list.

iloveprospectcrazy1

Oct 2, 2020

What would u see for the 2022 Qmjhl Draft?

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Keep hearing that Berkly Cotton will be a top contender for number 1 overall in 2024 but its a long way to go. Don't see many 14 year olds playing in the Sask Midget AAA league though

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The Kiviharju route is much more impressive. At 10 he already had the level of the best 12-year-old world players.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
The Kiviharju route is much more impressive. At 10 he already had the level of the best 12-year-old world players.

Yes. Given that his physical age was also 10 at the time, and not for example 12 or 13. Sorry to be a party-pooper.

AND then there's the question of the overall playing ability, when the game gets faster and faster and much more physical. At 10 or 12 it's easy to impress if you're really good at dangling or skating or both. When you're 16 and playing at the elite level, you'll also need to play in both directions, and you need to be strong enough to handle contact in heavy traffic.

In any case, I have high expectations for 2024, should be interesting.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->