2024 NHL Draft prospects

leafs4ev3r

Nov 8, 2020
Based off of what i've seen, the 2022 Q draft won't be as good and skilled compared to the OHL and WHL 06 born prospects.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I thought the same thing about Byfield in 2016

Alot of times these bigger players will dominate younger levels because of their size advantage, Byfield doesn't play "big" , yet anyways. He also will have to prove himself in the WJC and against men.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Byfield with his adult physique playing in U15 against children, there were questions to be asked.

Either way, Jecho is outclassed. He plays against players who are two years older than him.

It has been 3 years since he was detected as the best Czech player born in 2006. Barring an accident, I do not see how he could not be among the 224 players selected in 3 and a half years.

Reactions: hellwar9

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I thought the same thing about Byfield in 2016
First of all, one of Byfield's criticisms is that... he does NOT use his size properly. So that wasn't a huge factor in 2016.

Secondly, there are plenty of opposing examples, using Byfield is likely cherry picking.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I saw videos of him facing kids who were 2 heads shorter. I think it helped dominate bantam level against players of the same age.

We are currently talking about Adam Jecho. It has been a long time (2018) that he appears as one of the best strikers in his country and gradually he appears more and more as the best. He took over Filip Kral.

Last year he played in Czech U17 at 13 years old. He will probably play in Finnish U18 by the end of the season at 14. So the excuse of his physical advantage does not hold up.

This topic thread talks about the most likely prospects for the 2024 draft. There will necessarily be around 10 Czechs on the list. To this day, if there was 1 Czech name to give, it would be his. That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Byfield with his adult physique playing in U15 against children, there were questions to be asked.

Either way, Jecho is outclassed. He plays against players who are two years older than him.

It has been 3 years since he was detected as the best Czech player born in 2006. Barring an accident, I do not see how he could not be among the 224 players selected in 3 and a half years.

Yeah obviously he is tracking to be selected , hellwar9 said top 5 though to which I said that is too early too tell. Given that his draft year is 4 years away I repeat, it is too early to tell

Reactions: hellwar9

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Top 5 ? Hellwar is advancing a lot indeed. Let's say he is currently the best Czech prospect for 2024. I will not go into a specific rank. His debut in Finland places him (if he continues like this) also at the forefront of attackers.

Reactions: wings5 and hellwar9

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Attended the Gothenburg Cup last year, which was exclusively '06's and included 60 elite teams, including all of the best teams from the Scandanavian region. There were only a few NA teams, but got to see some of the best prospects in Scandanavia. There were some terrifically skilled players on some stacked teams, but the one player that stood out to me was Mans Toresson from Kallered. Certainly seemed on par with some of the best NA kids I've ever seen over the years. Part of it was he was better than anyone else on his team by a massive margin, but he was the toughest kid to handle for our team in all my years watching. Complete package. Tobias Ohman is another from Sweden to watch.

The best player I've seen among the 06's is actually an '07 in Michael Misa, for Mississauga, who has been the best '06 team for years now. Michael Hage has also been smooth and efficient, and seems like a pretty safe bet to be a 1st rounder in the OHL. James Hagens from Long Island and Gavin Hodnett were two of the best at one elite tourney I saw. Liam Greentree seemed like one of the best a few years ago, but not sure where he ended up.

I haven't seen them live since the Brick, but the reputations of Catton and Eiserman are well earned. They looked among the best at that stage, albeit a few years back.

The best in Eastern Ontario are Nathan Villeneuve, Dean Letourneau and Henry Mews, likely in that order, although Mews is a better skater than Letourneau, so I can seem ranking him higher without much criticism.

Last edited:

leafs4ev3r

Nov 8, 2020
Attended the Gothenburg Cup last year, which was exclusively '06's and included 60 elite teams, including all of the best teams from the Scandanavian region. There were only a few NA teams, but got to see some of the best prospects in Scandanavia. There were some terrifically skilled players on some stacked teams, but the one player that stood out to me was Mans Toresson from Kallered. Certainly seemed on par with some of the best NA kids I've ever seen over the years. Part of it was he was better than anyone else on his team by a massive margin, but he was the toughest kid to handle for our team in all my years watching. Complete package. Tobias Ohman is another from Sweden to watch.

The best player I've seen among the 06's is actually an '07 in Michael Misa, for Mississauga, who has been the best '06 team for years now. Michael Hage has also been smooth and efficient, and seems like a pretty safe bet to be a 1st rounder in the OHL. James Hagens from Long Island and Gavin Hodnett were two of the best at one elite tourney I saw. Liam Greentree seemed like one of the best a few years ago, but not sure where he ended up.

I haven't seen them live since the Brick, but the reputations of Catton and Eiserman are well earned. They looked among the best at that stage, albeit a few years back.

The best in Eastern Ontario are Nathan Villeneuve, Dean Letourneau and Henry Mews, likely in that order, although Mews is a better skater than Letourneau, so I can seem ranking him higher without much criticism.

Agreed. Would also add two top ranked prospects for the 2021 WHL Bantam Draft Clarke Caswell from Brandon, Manitoba and Jordan Gavin from Surrey, BC who's had a crazy start to the 20/21 season in the CSSHL U15 leauge.

But for the Eastern Ontario part, I would only consider Henry Mews and Nathan Villeneuve in this area. I've never heard anything about Letourneau and by looking at the leagues top scorers, he only recorded 30 PTS in 28 games and finished 7th in the scoring race in the HEO league. Mews and villeneuve were really the only two players in for the leading point leader race.

Villeneuve is a forward who's got good size and a great shot and finished with 33 G and 23 A for a total of 56 PTS and a 1.93 PPGA in 29 games good enough for the 2nd in the scoring race against Mews who is a right shot offensive defensemen who can skate with great vision and hockey IQ and tallied 25 G and 37 A for a total of 62 PTS and a 2.14 PPGA in 29 games to finish as the top point leader in the league as a Dman. Both players are very elite and will go very high in their OHL Draft year but I'd consider Henry Mews the top player here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
But for the Eastern Ontario part, I would only consider Henry Mews and Nathan Villeneuve in this area. I've never heard anything about Letourneau and by looking at the leagues top scorers, he only recorded 30 PTS in 28 games and finished 7th in the scoring race in the HEO league. Mews and villeneuve were really the only two players in for the leading point leader race.

Villeneuve is a forward who's got good size and a great shot and finished with 33 G and 23 A for a total of 56 PTS and a 1.93 PPGA in 29 games good enough for the 2nd in the scoring race against Mews who is a right shot offensive defensemen who can skate with great vision and hockey IQ and tallied 25 G and 37 A for a total of 62 PTS and a 2.14 PPGA in 29 games to finish as the top point leader in the league as a Dman. Both players are very elite and will go very high in their OHL Draft year but I'd consider Henry Mews the top player here.

Letourneau played on a far inferior team and was the focus of opposing teams, but his skating isn't as good as the other two, so won't surprise me to see him go after. When he played up with the '05's, he actually did better with 2 ppg in his limited time up with the older guys (Mews was 1 ppg in his play up)

I know Mews is listed as a D on eliteprospects, but I believe that is a mistake. He has played forward every time I've seen him play (although he does play on the point on the PP at times). He will be drafted as a forward, which is what he's played since Atom.

And if you saw them matched up head to head, you'd see why Villeneuve has a pretty decent gap over Mews, with regular season points definitely related to ice time and rolling lines (67's roll the lines mostly, where as Mews gets loads of ice time, with his Dad quite literally owning the Myers franchise). When Villeneuve played up with the U15 AAA team last year, he was amongst the top PPG in the league, and the best on the team among the '05's. In the playoffs, Villeneuve dominated the league with 15 goals and 18 points in 8 games, where as Mews had 3 goals and 11 point in 8 games. The head to head matchup in the finals was pretty lopsided in terms of the respective impact of each player with the stakes at their highest, especially with the two matched up head to head often as opposing forwards. Both are great, but I fully expect Villeneuve to be drafted ahead of Mews from what I hear from coaches .

leafs4ev3r

Nov 8, 2020
Letourneau played on a far inferior team and was the focus of opposing teams, but his skating isn't as good as the other two, so won't surprise me to see him go after. When he played up with the '05's, he actually did better with 2 ppg in his limited time up with the older guys (Mews was 1 ppg in his play up)

I know Mews is listed as a D on eliteprospects, but I believe that is a mistake. He has played forward every time I've seen him play (although he does play on the point on the PP at times). He will be drafted as a forward, which is what he's played since Atom.

And if you saw them matched up head to head, you'd see why Villeneuve has a pretty decent gap over Mews, with regular season points definitely related to ice time and rolling lines (67's roll the lines mostly, where as Mews gets loads of ice time, with his Dad quite literally owning the Myers franchise). When Villeneuve played up with the U15 AAA team last year, he was amongst the top PPG in the league, and the best on the team among the '05's. In the playoffs, Villeneuve dominated the league with 15 goals and 18 points in 8 games, where as Mews had 3 goals and 11 point in 8 games. The head to head matchup in the finals was pretty lopsided in terms of the respective impact of each player with the stakes at their highest, especially with the two matched up head to head often as opposing forwards. Both are great, but I fully expect Villeneuve to be drafted ahead of Mews from what I hear from coaches .

I’ve seen Mews play during the spring in multiple top end tournaments when he plays in Toronto with the pro hockey team and as a dman. The Toronto team is an absolute powerhouse in all the top end tournaments with guys like Michael Hage, Malcolm Spence and players from all over NA and Mews’s name is pretty well known around the globe as an offensive defenseman.
Now assuming that he played forward during this past winter season to maybe develop his skills offensively so that as a dman he can dominate and be noticed for his offensive game but I don’t see why he would be playing as a defenseman during the spring in all the high end tournaments competing against all the best players from around the world if he was going to end up playing and getting drafted as a forward. In the WSI tournament a year ago. Mews ended up winning the top defenseman award with 13 pts and was named to the all-star team (5 best players of the tournament). If he did play forward during the winter last season, There have been many NHL dman who’ve gone through this path which is playing forward throughout their minor hockey careers then switching to full time as a dman when the important time comes. Most teams, scouts, coaches are currently bragging for such a highly skilled and smart right shot dman. the next time you see this kid play again, spring or winter, heading into the OHL draft he will quite likely be playing as a D and will continue to produce high numbers. This just makes him so valuable to teams rather than just being another one of many skilled forwards at this age group.

There are so many skilled and great forwards nowadays in the game, being a skilled right shot defenseman just makes a player so much more valuable and perhaps an even bigger threat offensively. Mews is going to end up being one of those players and will make a huge impact moving forward.

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I’ve seen Mews play during the spring in multiple top end tournaments when he plays in Toronto with the pro hockey team and as a dman. The Toronto team is an absolute powerhouse in all the top end tournaments with guys like Michael Hage, Malcolm Spence and players from all over NA and Mews’s name is pretty well known around the globe as an offensive defenseman.
Now assuming that he played forward during this past winter season to maybe develop his skills offensively so that as a dman he can dominate and be noticed for his offensive game but I don’t see why he would be playing as a defenseman during the spring in all the high end tournaments competing against all the best players from around the world if he was going to end up playing and getting drafted as a forward. In the WSI tournament a year ago. Mews ended up winning the top defenseman award with 13 pts and was named to the all-star team (5 best players of the tournament). If he did play forward during the winter last season, There have been many NHL dman who’ve gone through this path which is playing forward throughout their minor hockey careers then switching to full time as a dman when the important time comes. Most teams, scouts, coaches are currently bragging for such a highly skilled and smart right shot dman. the next time you see this kid play again, spring or winter, heading into the OHL draft he will quite likely be playing as a D and will continue to produce high numbers. This just makes him so valuable to teams rather than just being another one of many skilled forwards at this age group.

There are so many skilled and great forwards nowadays in the game, being a skilled right shot defenseman just makes a player so much more valuable and perhaps an even bigger threat offensively. Mews is going to end up being one of those players and will make a huge impact moving forward.

Wow, I was certain that was just a flat out mistake. Interesting, because Mews has played forward every year in league play, and is listed as such on every OEMHL roster he's ever been on as far as I know. He must switch back to D on those all-star teams. But that is actually pretty impressive. Not sure if you can recall, but his D held up 1v1 against elite forwards? If so, I can understand him being there with the elites given the value of RHD as you say. But I would have thought he would be exposed defensively at that level given his time at forward, although I've never really seen him skate backwards 1v1 before. He's a great natural skater, but still.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wouldn't Alexei Dontsov be another at that level?

Not as far as I’ve seen. I’m merely talking about hype. No one knows at this point who the best players are. Maybe Dontsov is as good or better, but I’ve rarely seen his name mentioned. Certainly nowhere near as much as the two I named. It could be because he’s Russian, but I wasn’t suggesting those are the best players. I was suggesting those are the most hyped as of now.

Reactions: JotAlan

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
Just by coincidence, I ran into this guy: Niilopekka Muhonen.

He is a Feb born -06, playing defense in the Finnish U18 -league, and has scored 2+2 in 8 games so far. I can't find anything on the guy, not on this forum and also quick googling just produced some very-little-info Finnish links.

Anyone heard of him, where is he coming from, where is he going to?

Niilopekka Muhonen at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: ookhaab

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Just by coincidence, I ran into this guy: Niilopekka Muhonen.

Anyone heard of him, where is he coming from, where is he going to?

Should have asked him where he was coming from and where he was going when you ran into him, I’m sure he would have gladly told you

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
Should have asked him where he was coming from and where he was going when you ran into him, I’m sure he would have gladly told you

Dude, I didn't actually meet him face-to-face. Just happened to see him doing his thing from "a distance".

And I'm just curious, why some players who play D in a U18 league at 14, and score 0.5 ppg, would be regarded as absolute superstar caliber - and others who achieve exactly the same are not even known by anyone. Just demonstrates how biased some people are. Makes one wonder about their motives too.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
And I'm just curious, why some players who play D in a U18 league at 14, and score 0.5 ppg, would be regarded as absolute superstar caliber - and others who achieve exactly the same are not even known by anyone. Just demonstrates how biased some people are. Makes one wonder about their motives too.

I'm assuming you're talking about Aron Kiviharju.

Kiviharju has been injured for a while and has only played 4 games, not that Muhonen has played many games either so it's a very low sample size on your part.

To compare the two better:

Last season Muhonen played in C2 AAA league and scored 13+19 in 30 games. Kiviharju played in that same league two seasons ago (as full year younger) and scored 16+30 in 26 games and lead the next guy (1,5 years older forward) on his own team by 20 points.

This season Muhonen has scored 3+8 in 13 games in U16 league, while last season Kiviharju already led his U16 team in points after qualifiers, and even in qualifiers he had 3rd most points scored by a dman of any age, ever.

If Kiviharju wasnt injured this season, I think there wouldnt be any questions about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayquaza64

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I'm assuming you're talking about Aron Kiviharju.

Kiviharju has been injured for a while and has only played 4 games, not that Muhonen has played many games either so it's a very low sample size on your part.

To compare the two better:

Last season Muhonen played in C2 AAA league and scored 13+19 in 30 games. Kiviharju played in that same league two seasons ago (as full year younger) and scored 16+30 in 26 games and lead the next guy (1,5 years older forward) on his own team by 20 points.

This season Muhonen has scored 3+8 in 13 games in U16 league, while last season Kiviharju already led his U16 team in points after qualifiers, and even in qualifiers he had 3rd most points scored by a dman of any age, ever.

If Kiviharju wasnt injured this season, I think there wouldnt be any questions about him.
What injury does Aron have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad