Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Always knew we wouldn’t have a chance for him unless something went horribly wrong, but I’m glad to see my preseason fave in Berkly Catton is still tearing it up this year.

Haven’t been able to watch nearly as much as I’d like to, but Michael Hage is starting to heat back up again for Chicago. If he’s there when the Rangers pick, it’s a no brainer. Really strong skater on his edges, natural center, going to Michigan where he’ll get great coaching. It all makes too much sense.

Reactions: bhamill

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers pro scout Shaone Morrison is reportedly watching some KHL hockey right now, scouting Maxim Tsyplakov.

The last one that worked out was Zuccarello and Georgiev from UFA from Europe. If the Rangers sign him, I have lowered my expectations. Would not mind a look a Tsyplakov. Is he numbers considered good in the KHL? Is he a 1st or 2ed line RW?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The last one that worked out was Zuccarello and Georgiev from UFA from Europe. If the Rangers sign him, I have lowered my expectations. Would not mind a look a Tsyplakov. Is he numbers considered good in the KHL? Is he a 1st or 2ed line RW?
Usually plays somewhere in the middle-six, for example today he was the 3rd line center. Numbers are ok for that kind of roles though.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

It's mostly his uptick in production that stands out. I don't expect a Panarin-type impact at all, but if he can be a solid 3rd line contributor, I will take that any day for a UDFA.

And yeah, Zuccarello is the last notable UDFA skater from Europe for this team. And he didn't become an NHL regular until he was 26.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Like his size. Like that he has more goals than assists. Never seen him skate

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'm glad to see that if it's true. Drury has pretty much been staying away from Russia, I was wondering if maybe the Kravtsov thing had him shying away from there. Barbashev is a Russki but he was already playing in North America. He hasn't dipped into that pool at all. Whether it be free agents or the draft. This looks like a really solid year for Russian prospects and as always I fully expect many to be underscouted and slip down the draft

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can he actually skate and chances Rangers actually sign him?

The success of Shestyorkin and Panarin could definitely help them lure him to New York. Rangers have had no problem signing European UDFAs over the years.

David Štich*
Malte Stromwall
Michael Lindqvist
Andres Ambühl
Gustav Rydahl
Nick Latta*
Thomas Pöck
Ilkka Heikkinen
Miika Wiikman
Alexei Bereglazov
Alexandar Georgiev
Mats Zuccarello
Ville Meskanen
Hannu Pikkarainen
Marek Hrivík*
Ahti Oksanen*
Petr Zámorský

The success-rate is always low for these guys, so while I get the excitement of a new unknown player joining the ranks, expectations should probably be adjusted accordingly.

There has been a plethora of European UDFAs the Rangers were linked to, to varying degrees (Although I am only listing these from memory and can't remember whether it was insiders or just fans talking about these guys, but nonetheless), but never managed to convince to sign in NY including:

Mikko Lehtonen
Ville Koistinen
Melker Karlsson
Igor Ozhiganov
Dmitry Korobov
Marcel Müller
Erik Gustafsson (No, not that one LOL)
Daniil Tarasov (the winger, not the goalie)
Yohann Auvitu
Vadim Shipachyov
Lawrence Pilut

There was a fascinating trend noticeable after 2016 (the year Panarin won the Calder), where the number of European UDFA signings skyrocketed. Copy-cat league at its finest, trying to sign the "next Panarin" for free.

*While European, they played in NA

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The success of Shestyorkin and Panarin could definitely help them lure him to New York. Rangers have had no problem signing European UDFAs over the years.

David Štich*
Malte Stromwall
Michael Lindqvist
Andres Ambühl
Gustav Rydahl
Nick Latta*
Thomas Pöck
Ilkka Heikkinen
Miika Wiikman
Alexei Bereglazov
Alexandar Georgiev
Mats Zuccarello
Ville Meskanen
Hannu Pikkarainen
Marek Hrivík*
Ahti Oksanen*
Petr Zámorský

The success-rate is always low for these guys, so while I get the excitement of a new unknown player joining the ranks, expectations should probably be adjusted accordingly.

There has been a plethora of European UDFAs the Rangers were linked to, to varying degrees (Although I am only listing these from memory and can't remember whether it was insiders or just fans talking about these guys, but nonetheless), but never managed to convince to sign in NY including:

Mikko Lehtonen
Ville Koistinen
Melker Karlsson
Igor Ozhiganov
Dmitry Korobov
Marcel Müller
Erik Gustafsson (No, not that one LOL)
Daniil Tarasov (the winger, not the goalie)
Yohann Auvitu
Vadim Shipachyov
Lawrence Pilut

There was a fascinating trend noticeable after 2016 (the year Panarin won the Calder), where the number of European UDFA signings skyrocketed. Copy-cat league at its finest, trying to sign the "next Panarin" for free.

*While European, they played in NA
That 2nd group I'd throw in Vlad Tkachyov as well. There was a lot of chatter for a couple years of us possibly bringing him in. I'm sure you remember him but for anyone who doesnt, LA winded up snatching him up. Bad choice for him. Tons of competition on that team, guys they had in the system couldn't even get regular NHL minutes. Byfield, Vilardi, etc... he ended up in the AHL and then went back to Russia. Since going back there he's been a beast. I've seen him a few times this year, he's not a big guy so that would hurt his chances in NA but his skill level is way high. He can do serious damage on the PP. He should come back

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That 2nd group I'd throw in Vlad Tkachyov as well. There was a lot of chatter for a couple years of us possibly bringing him in. I'm sure you remember him but for anyone who doesnt, LA winded up snatching him up. Bad choice for him. Tons of competition on that team, guys they had in the system couldn't even get regular NHL minutes. Byfield, Vilardi, etc... he ended up in the AHL and then went back to Russia. Since going back there he's been a beast. I've seen him a few times this year, he's not a big guy so that would hurt his chances in NA but his skill level is way high. He can do serious damage on the PP. He should come back

YES! That's a guy I completely forgot. Good call!

Reactions: B17 Apricots

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Bob McKenzie and Craig Button have Silayev at 2nd overall and 3rd overall. Kinda wonder how much of that is because the kid is 6'7. The old school types love that. Seems a little high to me but who knows. I've watched Torpedo all year long, the kid is legit though. Poised, big and rangey. Not too unlike Simashev last year.. I just didn't expect him to go 6th overall. So teams are willing to take a gamble on these guys real high.

The numbers don't jump off the page, not that unlike Simashev last draft.. I remember Silayev had 6 points in 6 games to start the year. People that only got to see the numbers thought that maybe this was some big game breaker emerging.. I caught the games, he was fine but the points were kinda flukey. Nothing overly special. Right now he sits at 11 points in 52 games. So it didn't surprise me that he only notched 5 more points in his next 46 games. Because frankly that's not his game right now. Nothing wrong with that. At that age, playing at that level, you need to be competent defensively and smart with the puck. He's doing that.

I said the same about Simashev last year, look at some of the recent D prospects drafted out of Russia. It wasn't until they were 20 that Nikishin and Mukhamadullin's offensive game really came around. Nikishin might be one of the best D prospects in the world right now. Silayev's got enough tools to bet that he could add more offense the more experienced and mature he gets

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hrivik was signed out of the Q. I remember him as a PTO finishing the season in Hartford and then putting up some playoff goals which might have decided the Rangers on signing him.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I wonder if the J20 Örebro team is going to be like the Swedish Prince George team this year. By that I mean I wonder if last draft scouts overlooked those guys as maybe just being a product of a good team, maybe they put too much stock in the world juniors tournament? Because Heidt has real star potential, he's been incredible this year. Almost fell to the 3rd round. Ziemmer has dealt with injuries but he's been good this year. 3rd round. Hudson Thornton is the captain this year, he aged out. Bet you they won't overlook Parascak this year.

Anyway, Örebro's junior team is flush with 2024 prospects. Eric Bürger on D. Liam Danielsson, Alexander Zetterburg, and Melvin Fernstöm at F. Their rankings are all over the place right now but I'll assume they're going to climb as the season progresses

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The U18 5 Nations wrapped up on Saturday. The NTDP kids are having an off year but the individual performances by defensemen at the big scouting events have been strong. There's no doubt in my mind the Rangers like Emery (Skjei), Skahan (Trouba) and Laurila (Lindgren). Whipple is a turnover machine and gambles with big hits but the ceiling is high because of his skating. The one guy I want is Cole Hutson, who is just as good as Lane was for the program but his size may turn Drury off. He rivals Adam Fox in terms of draft-year presence and he's about to become the program's highest-scoring two-year defenseman.

On Sweden, Alfons Freij, Jack Bodin, LSW, and should be targeted. Freij is an explosive shoot-first type; Bodin is a punishing hitter with smarts and good mobility but doesn't try anything fancy. LSW is Luke Hughes-lite. Gabrielsson is a dirty player with sloppy tendencies but he can be a punishing opponent.

Finland had three really good defense prospects -- Soini, Niemenen, and Muhonen. Soini can skate and likes to get involved on offense. Niemenen is their purest PPQB and logged all the big minutes. Muhonen seems like the most talented if he can marry it all together, but his mistakes can be egregious.

The Swiss kid Ustinkov is highly rated but didn't look good at the WJC, and at the U18 5N's was directly responsible for a handful of goals against. Very good skater and playmaker but his defense is an adventure.

Czechs relied a ton on big righty Martic Svec (2025 draft). He was the only dman on the first power-play unit, but they also did the same with Chaloupka, who is not as good defensively but a lot quicker.

I'm checking on all of them in league play and into the playoffs but most of these kids were either already dominating juniors or earned a promotion to the elite league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad