Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
While this team is working out the kinks of Lavy’s system and everyone is ready to kill each other here, I’m going to focus on draft prospects off to hot starts. Just to note a few of my favorites

Trevor Connelly - I know he’s had off-ice drama which I’m not getting into here - has been demolishing the USHL to start. He’s such a naturally skilled playmaking wing, has great hands, and knows how to navigate traffic well for having a slight frame. Defensive motor has improved from last year too, and if he rounds his game out, he has the potential to be a Marner type of winger.

I’m a bit more meh on the 2024 USNTDP crop outside of Eiserman, but I think it’s because of how good the 25s are with Hagens leading the way. Hensler is looking like a future top-4 RHD staple too if he keeps progressing.

I only saw one of their games so far, but Beckett Senekee was really impressive for Oshawa. Very awkward skater, but really good hands, great vision and shot, and has a good frame. Definitely needs another gear in his skating, but everything is there that you want in a pro wing.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
f*** man, go catch some Torpedo games if you can... this kid is fun. 4 points so far today. Hat trick and an assist. I believe he missed eligibility by 10 days for the 2020 draft. So first year eligibility was 2021. Almost a year seperates them but Buchelnikov was the same draft year... a high profile overager that got taken in his D+1 in the 2nd round, similar situation to Atanasov. Fairly modest draft year.. rips up the MHL in their D+1. Buchelnikov, 75 points in 56 games. Atanasov, 67 points in 54 games... not too shabby. Atanasov was passed over though. Despite the extra year of Euro eligibility, establishing himself as a pro player in the KHL at 20, no teams chose to grab him. After this game this should bump him back up to the top 10 in scoring, at 21 years old, with modest usage
Bringing this over from the prospect threads... Atanasov is shining today. Silayev has a goal so far as well. Would love to get a big talented LHD in the system but it wouldn't be hard to see him getting drafted too high for us this year if we even keep a first this year

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bringing this over from the prospect threads... Atanasov is shining today. Silayev has a goal so far as well. Would love to get a big talented LHD in the system but it wouldn't be hard to see him getting drafted too high for us this year if we even keep a first this year
Not exactly going out on a limb, but I this is a much better D draft than it was last year. Might have better value there

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Seems like the first time in forever the Chicago Steel don't have a powerhouse. One of the worst teams in the USHL so far this year. For about a good half a decade now they've been a feeder for great prospects. They've lost damn near their entire team from last year.. Celebrini, Moldenhauer, Perron, Harvey etc.. their main defenders too. Not a lot to look at this year. Sawchyn's brother Lucas is off to a good start for a 16 year old, he'll be eligible next year. Michael Hage could be a 1st/2nd rounder this year. Kai Johnson should've played an extra year with the Steel like a number of players before him have. He's not a big guy, didn't make a huge impact last year. Plenty of opportunity this season. Teams have routinely selected overage Steel players. Chose to join Harvard with our guy Karpa. Dont know how much of an impact he's going to make right now but someone that might be worth keeping an eye on during Harvard games. Had a fantastic D-1 season

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Seems like the first time in forever the Chicago Steel don't have a powerhouse. One of the worst teams in the USHL so far this year. For about a good half a decade now they've been a feeder for great prospects. They've lost damn near their entire team from last year.. Celebrini, Moldenhauer, Perron, Harvey etc.. their main defenders too. Not a lot to look at this year. Sawchyn's brother Lucas is off to a good start for a 16 year old, he'll be eligible next year. Michael Hage could be a 1st/2nd rounder this year. Kai Johnson should've played an extra year with the Steel like a number of players before him have. He's not a big guy, didn't make a huge impact last year. Plenty of opportunity this season. Teams have routinely selected overage Steel players. Chose to join Harvard with our guy Karpa. Dont know how much of an impact he's going to make right now but someone that might be worth keeping an eye on during Harvard games. Had a fantastic D-1 season
I’m just as surprised as you are because their depth guys looked really good last year and ready to step up for this season.

I wrote about Hage a bit last month, but I was impressed with his road to recovery from the one game and few clips I’ve seen of him this year. PPG start and being the top offensive player on his team is a great start for him. I’d be thrilled if the Rangers found a way to draft him

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Torpedo / Sibir

Igor Klimovich just scored, only his 2nd point this season in the K but the poor kid only plays 8 minutes a game. Probably should've been drafted last year. Atanasov had an awesome feed earlier that just missed being buried. Silayev taken off the ice injured after he got smoked.

Breakaway goal for Atanasov. He's gonna be on NHL teams radar at some point

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If I’m Drury I impose a -15 draft ranking in anyone who is an average or below skater.

I’m not looking for just straight line speed. But a 2023 skater. Edge work, agility, acceleration, pace etc

Reactions: CasusBelli

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Lack of skilled centers with grit snarl and physical style do the Rangers draft Iginla's son??

Parascak would be another good add to RW depth.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
So Luke Tuch, still not signed by Habs and this is his 4th year of college. Most likely will be UFA. If he makes the free agent market does he go to the Sabres or can the Rangers get more RW forward depth in the organization.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Rangers have to attack this draft with defensemen in mind. It’s going to be 2012 all over again with defenders dominating the first round. They’ve punted the position for three straight drafts but organizational depth remains thin until Jones can prove he belongs and Robertson is given a look. Thing is, those guys were drafted four years ago, so a gap in the reserve pool has developed. Only four dmen drafted since 2021 and none above Round 3. Devils have a major advantage there with Hughes, Nemec, and Casey. Gotta think 4-5 years down the road.

Leo Sahlin-Wallenius would be a good start if they’re drafting later in rounds. Big, rangy, puck blaster. Cole Hutson just destroyed the U18 5 Nations and is as good as Lane at this stage but his height probably hurts his stock. Whipple is his partner and is a smooth, agile puck mover who covers for him a ton. Jack Bodin on Orebro J20 is basically AHL-ready at this point. Love that kid. They probably like the kid Eliasson too; a poor man’s Edvinsson.

Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov will highlight the entire group and all may end up top 5. Just pray all three get drafted out of the conference.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers have to attack this draft with defensemen in mind. It’s going to be 2012 all over again with defenders dominating the first round. They’ve punted the position for three straight drafts but organizational depth remains thin until Jones can prove he belongs and Robertson is given a look. Thing is, those guys were drafted four years ago, so a gap in the reserve pool has developed. Only four dmen drafted since 2021 and none above Round 3. Devils have a major advantage there with Hughes, Nemec, and Casey. Gotta think 4-5 years down the road.

Leo Sahlin-Wallenius would be a good start if they’re drafting later in rounds. Big, rangy, puck blaster. Cole Hutson just destroyed the U18 5 Nations and is as good as Lane at this stage but his height probably hurts his stock. Whipple is his partner and is a smooth, agile puck mover who covers for him a ton. Jack Bodin on Orebro J20 is basically AHL-ready at this point. Love that kid. They probably like the kid Eliasson too; a poor man’s Edvinsson.

Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov will highlight the entire group and all may end up top 5. Just pray all three get drafted out of the conference.
Skahan just feels (for better or worse) like a Rangers pick. Solberg I think I like. Don’t really have a feel for the draft yet though. Not sure how the board will fall/if Rangers even keep their first. Does feel like there will be some good value on D though

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Skahan just feels (for better or worse) like a Rangers pick. Solberg I think I like. Don’t really have a feel for the draft yet though. Not sure how the board will fall/if Rangers even keep their first. Does feel like there will be some good value on D though

Skahan’s good, albeit a little raw. I can see them into him as well. Goes for the big hit but it costs him sometimes. Kinda reminds me of Tyler Kleven in his NTDP seasons with all the PK and late/close usage.

Reactions: egelband and Savant

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Who's a LHD NTDP kid rated for the middle to late first round? That's your Rangers pick next June.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Skahan’s good, albeit a little raw. I can see them into him as well. Goes for the big hit but it costs him sometimes. Kinda reminds me of Tyler Kleven in his NTDP seasons with all the PK and late/close usage.
Buium seems like a savvy pick here, but doubt he makes it to the Rangers at this rate.

Edit: meant to quote @Savant , my bad!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad