2023 Western Conference Playoff Race - Kraken Style

The Kraken will finish the season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Calgary has the easiest schedule. Jets are somewhat harder. Nashville's as you point out, is brutal. Ours is not so bad. I don't want to play Dallas for sure. I'd rather finish 3rd and play the Kings or Knights. We seem to match up better with them.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My old Leafs did us a favour, defeating Nashville 3-2 in regulation time. The Preds and the Kraken have now played the same number of games and we retain our eight point lead over Nashville with ten games to go.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
My old Leafs did us a favour, defeating Nashville 3-2 in regulation time. The Preds and the Kraken have now played the same number of games and we retain our eight point lead over Nashville with ten games to go.
So what's our magic number? 10 games/20 points left each now. 8 points ahead or 4 wins. So 2 wins?

Last edited:

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
So what's our magic number? 10 games/20 points left each now. 8 points ahead or 4 wins. So 2 wins?
Magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 12. Combination of 12 points that either the Kraken get OR Nashville doesn't get.

Kraken-Nashville - Nashville can get to 100 points; Kraken have 88. Kraken have the RW tiebreaker at present if they are tied.
Kraken-Calgary - Calgary can get to 97 points.
Kraken-Winnipeg - Winnipeg can get to 101 points.

Kraken end the season with 2 against Vegas. Could be interesting as it also could be a 1st round playoff preview. How those 2 games go could decide whether it the 1st round matchup or not.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 12. Combination of 12 points that either the Kraken get OR Nashville doesn't get.

Kraken-Nashville - Nashville can get to 100 points; Kraken have 88. Kraken have the RW tiebreaker at present if they are tied.
Kraken-Calgary - Calgary can get to 97 points.
Kraken-Winnipeg - Winnipeg can get to 101 points.

Kraken end the season with 2 against Vegas. Could be interesting as it also could be a 1st round playoff preview. How those 2 games go could decide whether it the 1st round matchup or not.
If clinched and first round turns out to be Vegas that series could be very interesting with final two against them.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
No matter who the Kraken face, the first time in the playoffs is going to be fun to watch. A four game at minimum or seven game series, if it goes that far, will really illustrate what the team has that works and what they’ll need to change in the off season.

Reactions: UseYourHedman

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Making the playoffs (if we do), is also important because the teams get revenue from home games.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well don't look but Calgary's crawling back into it.

L.A. was their toughest opponent left on their schedule.
Though, at least they're also playing Winnipeg and Nashville and those, hopefully, take points off each other.

Still, you gotta go out there and get the points needed on your own.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Looks like a 3 legged race for WC2 is forming up. Winnipeg is collapsing. Calgary is dangling by a thread. And Nashville keeps stealing games with smoke and mirrors.

If we can keep picking up points down the stretch here, we should be good. But a collapse is going to put us right in the thick of it with the other three, fighting out for both WC spots.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
No matter who the Kraken face, the first time in the playoffs is going to be fun to watch. A four game at minimum or seven game series, if it goes that far, will really illustrate what the team has that works and what they’ll need to change in the off season.
I'd argue we already know what they need to change, but I get what you mean. Maybe one of our goalpretenders will get hot.....please?!? Can't wait for Kraken playoff hockey!

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I'd argue we already know what they need to change, but I get what you mean. Maybe one of our goalpretenders will get hot.....please?!? Can't wait for Kraken playoff hockey!
Some people get really really upset when it’s pointed out that the Kraken have unreliable goaltending. I get nobody wants to admit they see a scratch on the shiny new toy, but regardless, it’s there. 😆
Like you, I hope facing the same shooters every game allows Grubauer or Daccord the opportunity to dial it in and go on a run.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Some people get really really upset when it’s pointed out that the Kraken have unreliable goaltending. I get nobody wants to admit they see a scratch on the shiny new toy, but regardless, it’s there. 😆
Like you, I hope facing the same shooters every game allows Grubauer or Daccord the opportunity to dial it in and go on a run.
I've noticed that too, but it's pretty obvious that G is the #1 problem with a true 1st line elite scorer the #2 need IMO. Any chance Driedger plays this season? I think he's our best option if healthy

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I've noticed that too, but it's pretty obvious that G is the #1 problem with a true 1st line elite scorer the #2 need IMO. Any chance Driedger plays this season? I think he's our best option if healthy
As do I. I’m not sure where he’s at in terms of timeline, but it would be nice to see him get a couple of starts before the playoffs start. He’s played well in CV, especially late in games when the Firebirds need a big save. He sounds really close, if not ready.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

The problem is people are stuck that the idea that the team problem is the goalies as if its the only problem the team has. Also i have not heard one realistic solution to said problem when there isn't a lot of options out there to make it worth giving up draft picks/prospects to get rid of what we have and give up more just to acquire new goalies...

our power play stinks our penalty kill stinks, our defense at clearing the puck and zone exiting stinks. Is that the goalies fault no. Is it gru's fault that our offensive vs minnesota only had 1 goal on 39 shots no.

People are getting upset cause the blame the goalie game is getting tiring. Getting rid of our goalies and replacing them with other goalies just for the sake of doing so is not going to get the necessary result people are looking for. Its only going to delay building this team to where we have the skaters to actually contend back a few years more.

The goalie problem is an entire league problem which just makes it even harder to find upgrades since they are high in demand and a low supply of quality goalies.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The problem is people are stuck that the idea that the team problem is the goalies as if its the only problem the team has. Also i have not heard one realistic solution to said problem when there isn't a lot of options out there to make it worth giving up draft picks/prospects to get rid of what we have and give up more just to acquire new goalies...

our power play stinks our penalty kill stinks, our defense at clearing the puck and zone exiting stinks. Is that the goalies fault no. Is it gru's fault that our offensive vs minnesota only had 1 goal on 39 shots no.

People are getting upset cause the blame the goalie game is getting tiring. Getting rid of our goalies and replacing them with other goalies just for the sake of doing so is not going to get the necessary result people are looking for. Its only going to delay building this team to where we have the skaters to actually contend back a few years more.

The goalie problem is an entire league problem which just makes it even harder to find upgrades since they are high in demand and a low supply of quality goalies.

Every game day thread is littered with complaints about special teams play. Everybody bitches about it. In fact, I’d argue that’s the most common in game complaint. The thing about goalies is the complaints come immediately after a goal and that tends to stand out more.

Facts are. If the Kraken were as good on the PP as they are 5 on 5, they might damn well be the best team in the West. As such, it’s dragging them down. At least they are good 5 on 5.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Valid points.

There are goalies that get absolutely shelled and are still capable of making the saves that should be made. Nobody’s faulting Grubauer or Jones for goals on which they had no chance. The problem is that they give up too many goals on shots NHL goalies are expected to stop.

Is it the Kraken’s only weakness? Of course not. As you guys have pointed out, special teams have been atrocious.

I just firmly believe, and know from experience, that if the other guy in net stops the shots he’s expected to and our guy doesn’t, all the highlight reel desperation saves don’t mean anything. We lose. That’s what save percentage is, a sometimes flawed but accepted metric of how a goalie performs. It doesn’t tell you shot quality, but it does speak to how many of what you see you stop. A better measuring stick is goals saved above expected. That’s where having a Sorokin, Shesterkin, Vasy, or Hellebuyck elevates a team. The Kraken don’t have a guy like that, and yeah, not many teams do.

So what’s the solution? Draft and develop and wait probably at least four years? Trade a pick or prospect for the untapped potential of somebody backing up elsewhere? Nobody (I hope) is advocating changing the goalies just to change the goalies, but the players need to trust each other, from the net on out to the 7th defenseman and the 13th forward. The five in front of you HAVE TO believe you’ll stop the stoppable ones, and I don’t know if Gru and Jones still elicit that faith.

Maybe, as a former Canucks fan, I’m clouded by PTSD. the Canucks had ample firepower during the West Coast Express days but went nowhere because Dan Cloutier was completely unreliable and that whole team knew it. They could have been a Cup contender with a better goalie.

The Kraken have needs elsewhere, most definitely, but it won’t matter how strong a lineup they build in the next few years if goaltending holds them back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad