2023 Western Conference Playoff Race - Kraken Style

The Kraken will finish the season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We should all savour this moment as it doesn't happen all that over in sports. One win with five games to go, or failing even that, one loss by each of Calgary and Nashville with four and five games to go respectively and we are in the playoffs. Teams are seldom so fortunate as to be in such a luxurious position. Stop for a moment and smell the roses.

It's also quite wonderful not being on the outside looking in.

Not to mention we get Arizona and Chicago over the next 3 games. Granted, Chicago did just beat Calgary.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Flames trail Jets by only two points for the last wild card spot. So Winnipeg at home will have a ton of motivation tonight, Just gonna pour myself a dram of Talisker Port Ruighe scotch and let the universe unfold as it will.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Flames trail Jets by only two points for the last wild card spot. So Winnipeg at home will have a ton of motivation tonight, Just gonna pour myself a dram of Talisker Port Ruighe scotch and let the universe unfold as it will.

Fancy. I’ll sit here and drink my R&R and follow with full pints of Hamm’s until I can’t see anymore. I’m kidding. Not drinking tonight.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Fancy. I’ll sit here and drink my R&R and follow with full pints of Hamm’s until I can’t see anymore. I’m kidding. Not drinking tonight.

Hamms.....

I remember in college, almost every party was a"Hamms" keg. They were like 25% cheaper than the next cheapest option.

True story - sometimes you'd go to a party and someone would ask, "Hamms?" as they got to the keg, and someone would say excitedly, "No, they splurged, it's Natural Light!", and everyone else would be like, "Nice!". :help:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Flames a deserving winner in Winnipeg. The Jets didn't bother to get fully engaged until they went down 3-1 with nine minutes left in the third period. Their collective heads fully up their collective wazoos, they took eight minor penalties on the night which didn't help their cause. Not a team that merits making the playoffs.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Seattle Kraken can clinch a playoff berth with:
* A SEA win (vs ARI) OR
* A SEA OT/SO loss (vs ARI) AND a NSH loss (vs CAR)

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
These "make-the-playoffs" scenarios are finally starting to become clear...

math-calculating.gif

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Re: Winnipeg.

The wheels did not come off.

Everything between the wheels came apart at the molecular level.

Reactions: kihei

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Going into the playoffs, I do want to make a comment about coach Hakstol. Some other teams may be similar, but I'm impressed that the Kraken never mail in a game. They play until the final whistle trying to score and defend hard, and don't lay back when ahead in the 3rd and invite trouble. Not sure how he motivates (or threatens :) ) this behavior, but it is really good, and teaches to complete at every shift. Coach of the year? Possible if we go far into the playoffs. Of course, Boston.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Hamms.....

I remember in college, almost every party was a"Hamms" keg. They were like 25% cheaper than the next cheapest option.

True story - sometimes you'd go to a party and someone would ask, "Hamms?" as they got to the keg, and someone would say excitedly, "No, they splurged, it's Natural Light!", and everyone else would be like, "Nice!". :help:

Hahaha. I was never a partied growing up. Well I was, but not in the underage drinking way. Funny story
Getting no help from Carolina tonight. Not that it really matters.

Carolina just have a handy to New Jersey.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Going into the playoffs, I do want to make a comment about coach Hakstol. Some other teams may be similar, but I'm impressed that the Kraken never mail in a game. They play until the final whistle trying to score and defend hard, and don't lay back when ahead in the 3rd and invite trouble. Not sure how he motivates (or threatens :) ) this behavior, but it is really good, and teaches to complete at every shift. Coach of the year? Possible if we go far into the playoffs. Of course, Boston.

Hak has done a nice job but I think you could tell from the roster that this group was going to have a high standard of work ethic. Guys were going to skate.

To compare to the Winnipeg situation, Bowness and Maurice have found it equally futile trying to get full team efforts out of their group. Scheifele has been a big part of the problem. Let's hope the Kraken can avoid lazy players, no matter how big the talent. Too many problems creep into the room. It's much easier when everyone just feeds off the full team efforts.

Reactions: Kevinsane

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

if boston wasn't setting NhL season records, hak may have a big chance at it but they'll give it to boston's HC.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
We're only 4 points behind the Kings btw with a game in hand and the tie breaker.

We've got Chicago, Arizona then Vegas x2

Kings have Colorado, Vancouver, Anaheim (Kings have also lost their last 2)

It's not impossible to catch them assuming we win the game in hand and if we take 1 of the Vegas games.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
We're only 4 points behind the Kings btw with a game in hand and the tie breaker.

It's not impossible to catch them assuming we win the game in hand and if we take 1 of the Vegas games.

Too bad we lost that game in regulation against them.
If not we'd be be either tied or trailing by one point with one game in hand.

Still, with the playoff ticket already booked and the team on a three game winning streak I'd say....
Let's just keep the foot on the pedal and see if we can make things interesting or a bit uncomfortable for the Kings.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Too bad we lost that game in regulation against them.
If not we'd be be either tied or trailing by one point with one game in hand.

Still, with the playoff ticket already booked and the team on a three game winning streak I'd say....
Let's just keep the foot on the pedal and see if we can make things interesting or a bit uncomfortable for the Kings.
Definitely keeps the next few games meaningful, especially with the Kings suddenly becoming shaky.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016

Er, I'd much rather play Dallas or Colorado or Minn than the Oilers right now with Oilers red hot.

Reactions: Irie and majormajor

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Let me know if this is not the correct place, but I'd like to partner with someone for season tickets next year. I'm in Port Townsend, so would maybe like say 6 games. Is there a forum thread to discuss this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad