2023 Western Conference Playoff Race - Kraken Style

The Kraken will finish the season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Once again, Calgary comes back multiple times to steal a win against Anaheim with a goal with under three minutes to go in the third period. Showing a lot of grit lately.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well, gotta take care of business.

Like said before in here, if we can't come up with the points needed during those final seven games we just got no business making the playoffs.
Honestly, winning 50% of the last 8 games to make it mathematically impossible for Calgary to beat us should be within the realm of possibility. Especially as we still have 5 games against lottery teams. We lost the first of the final 8 by a razor thin margin, but win 4 of the next 5 and we force Nashville to go perfect down the stretch.

Last edited:

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Hey, if you can't beat the 'yotes at this point of the season you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
2 more wins and 2 points dropped by flames either 1 loss or 2 OT/SO losses and we clinch.

Or 1 more win and 2 games lost by flames and we clinch.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Glad to see Grubs back! We NEED to beat Vancouver tonight because the Yotes will be seriously looking for revenge Thursday after that embarrassment.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
ANY word on Burakovsky?? Some lower body injury! Too late now for him to come back now I guess, at least for 1st round.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
ANY word on Burakovsky?? Some lower body injury! Too late now for him to come back now I guess, at least for 1st round.
Practicing but has a no contact shirt on. I think he'll be back for the play offs or if shit hits the fan before then. and we need to throw the dice

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
T
Practicing but has a no contact shirt on. I think he'll be back for the play offs or if shit hits the fan before then. and we need to throw the dice
Thanks! If he is actually skating and practicing that is really good news, even if it just means he would be available if we have an injury.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I can't see Calgary lose their next 2...they are probably due a loss though.
That first part didn't age well. 2nd part did.

I hope we clinch on Thursday and can get players healed up and rested. I doubt our seeding changes too much. Unlikely to catch the teams above us and I doubt we drop a place.

I'm not particularly arsed about who we get in the play offs if it's a Pacific team. I don't have much expectation other than being happy to make it in year 2 and enjoy the experience with pressure relatively off. On our game we can beat any team in our division, especially healthy, will be interesting to see how they do in a play off series. The depth is there, If goaltending can somehow get hot in the post season we could be dangerous. Even though we are not great at home I think the crowd will show up big. I'm pretty much in 'f*** around and find out' mode for the play offs'.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That first part didn't age well. 2nd part did.

I hope we clinch on Thursday and can get players healed up and rested. I doubt our seeding changes too much. Unlikely to catch the teams above us and I doubt we drop a place.

I'm not particularly arsed about who we get in the play offs if it's a Pacific team. I don't have much expectation other than being happy to make it in year 2 and enjoy the experience with pressure relatively off. On our game we can beat any team in our division, especially healthy, will be interesting to see how they do in a play off series. The depth is there, If goaltending can somehow get hot in the post season we could be dangerous. Even though we are not great at home I think the crowd will show up big. I'm pretty much in 'f*** around and find out' mode for the play offs'.

Unless we drop to the #2 Wild Card spot we'll be playing the winner of the central division.
Right now that looks like the current stanley cup champn who's starting to click and is getting players back from injury...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nashville and the Kraken each have five games to go. If the Kraken win one game or the Preds lose one game, we can't be caught by the Preds. Calgary has four games left and we have five games left, if the Flames lose one game or we win one game, we can't be caught by the Flames.

Assuming that I have that right, I kind of like are chances, eh.

Reactions: Kat Predator

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Nashville and the Kraken each have five games to go. If the Kraken win one game or the Preds lose one game, we can't be caught by the Preds. Calgary has four games left and we have five games left, if the Flames lose one game or we win one game, we can't be caught by the Flames.

Assuming that I have that right, I kind of like are chances, eh.
We will clinch on Thursday with a win. If so, Calgary can't catch them and Nashville can only tie Kraken but Kraken have the tiebreaker with RW & ROWs.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
We will clinch on Thursday with a win. If so, Calgary can't catch them and Nashville can only tie Kraken but Kraken have the tiebreaker with RW & ROWs.
Correct.

I wrote this in the other thread:

Here is the playoff picture.​
We're +7 vs. Calgary and they have a maximum of 8 points. 1 win by us, regardless of whatever else happens puts us 9 points ahead of them. It is mathematically impossible for them to knock us out of the playoffs.​
We're +8 vs. Nashville and they have a maximum of 10 points. 1 win by us puts us 10 points ahead and they would have to run the table and we would have to lose in regulation every other game in order to tie. At that point RW comes into play. With 1 win we have 35 RW and in the aforementioned scenario, they would end up with a max of 33.​
1 more win and we're guaranteed to be in the playoffs as at least WC2.​
(Add that a regulation loss by either Nashville or Calgary is as good as that 1 win on a case-by-case basis.)

Reactions: The Marquis

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Things are looking up! Arizona will want revenge for the last game, but I'm betting Seattle is up to the task. Arizona isn't prepared for a playoff team.
Arizona absolutely suck away from home. They'll likely get their revenge at the home game (where they have a pretty good record) when we've clinched if they do at all.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Unless we drop to the #2 Wild Card spot we'll be playing the winner of the central division.
Right now that looks like the current stanley cup champn who's starting to click and is getting players back from injury...
I'm not even that worried about Colorado. We have a pretty good record against them too. Think we beat them twice (once in OT) and lost to them once in OT. They are likely improved since then but who knows what we'll be like in the play offs.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm not even that worried about Colorado. We have a pretty good record against them too. Think we beat them twice (once in OT) and lost to them once in OT. They are likely improved since then but who knows what we'll be like in the play offs.

Colorado was missing players left and right in those games and seem to be getting close to full strength.
Even Landeskog might be back for them.

I honestly don't care caues I just want to see the team in the playoffs and go from there.
We've got nothing to lose and have been told we can't do things the whole season anyways...

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Colorado was missing players left and right in those games and seem to be getting close to full strength.
Even Landeskog might be back for them.

I honestly don't care caues I just want to see the team in the playoffs and go from there.
We've got nothing to lose and have been told we can't do things the whole season anyways...
I don't have much expectations but I also wouldn't be astounded if we caused an unexpected upset. No one really talks about the Kraken in the main board. We've slowed down a bit but we were a team who was doing really well at the all star break and went on that great east coast run against the leagues best.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We should all savour this moment as it doesn't happen all that over in sports. One win with five games to go, or failing even that, one loss by each of Calgary and Nashville with four and five games to go respectively and we are in the playoffs. Teams are seldom so fortunate as to be in such a luxurious position. Stop for a moment and smell the roses.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad