2023 Western Conference Playoff Race - Kraken Style

The Kraken will finish the season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Random question but if we did miss the play offs, are we automatically a lottery team? Has any team with a relatively decent record e.g bottom of the lottery odds ever won it?

Yes, that would make the Kraken a lottery team, BUT... you can only move up 10 spots these days. A couple of 8 seeds have won the lottery (Chicago and New Jersey, coincidentally when you could only move up 4 spots) and then you have New York Rangers (seeded 14th in the lottery), who won the most bullshit "two phase" lottery ever back in 2020 when not only did they manage to be able to get the number 1 pick but it was absolutely covered in dogshit with the live "draw" of the balls of which one was exceedingly lightweight compared to the others and was dropped by the dude when he put it in, etc. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Also probably while I'll never believe the draft lottery is legit and why we'll never see the draw televised ever again unless they figure out a new way to rig it live.

If Chicago wins this year, all of my suspicions are true.

Reactions: Scomerica

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
I was at the Oil game. Grub was great, and then came Jones :(. In that game, and against Dallas, we DO seem to be "griping" the sticks too hard, and trying to make something out of nothing (like we did before the All Star break), rather than focus on defense and bide our time for opportunities. Might as well get in the mode, because if we DO make the playoffs, they are different, and everything is usually very very tight checking. Kraken are actually well built for that, and all four lines can score. Unlike the Oil, where everyone can focus on shutting down one line. They won't go far in the playoffs.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I was at the Oil game. Grub was great, and then came Jones :(. In that game, and against Dallas, we DO seem to be "griping" the sticks too hard, and trying to make something out of nothing (like we did before the All Star break), rather than focus on defense and bide our time for opportunities. Might as well get in the mode, because if we DO make the playoffs, they are different, and everything is usually very very tight checking. Kraken are actually well built for that, and all four lines can score. Unlike the Oil, where everyone can focus on shutting down one line. They won't go far in the playoffs.
I do think this Oilers team is better than previous years but if you shut down McDavid, they are likely to struggle. I remember when Vlasic was still good, he did a good job shutting down McDavid and the Oilers struggled as a whole.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Random question but if we did miss the play offs, are we automatically a lottery team? Has any team with a relatively decent record e.g bottom of the lottery odds ever won it?

We would be a lottery team cause every non playoff team is.

Though, there've been changes to the lottery and you can only move up by up to ten spots.

So if the Kraken ended missing the playoffs with the 15th worst record and won the lottery, they'd pick at #5 OVR...etc.

Reactions: Scomerica

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With four minutes left in the first periood, LA is clobbering Calgary 4-0.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Flames get blown out by the Kings 8-2, looking a hot mess. Markstrom did his best Martin Jones impersonation allowing six goals on 26 shots. We have a six point lead on them with two games in hand, and they only have 11 games to go.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Flames get blown out by the Kings 8-2, looking a hot mess. Markstrom did his best Martin Jones impersonation allowing six goals on 26 shots. We have a six point lead on them with two games in hand, and they only have 11 games to go.

I think the Preds are more of a threat to us than the Flames, who just can't seem to get it together all season long.

Speaking of Jones.
Hopefully Grubauer can play(or D'Accord gets a start) cause I'm not all that hopefull going into those next four games(Dallas, 2x Nashville, Minnesota) relying on Jones in net.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Go Yotes, Go Sabres! GO KRAKEN! f*** it's getting hot in here.

I think we'll have to take care of our stuff and not look at others.
It's basically the reverse thing of last year where we hoped for losses and for others to somehow get points.

Now you've got to get points(no matter how) as others in the playoff race will just get theirs as well.

Though, yo Ducks, you go too. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
We just need to win and it doesn't matter what they do. Thursday and Saturday is probably our season decider assuming we lose to Dallas. After next Saturday our schedule gets a lot easier barring the Kings and Vegas games but the damage might have been done by then.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
We just need to win and it doesn't matter what they do. Thursday and Saturday is probably our season decider assuming we lose to Dallas. After next Saturday our schedule gets a lot easier barring the Kings and Vegas games but the damage might have been done by then.

I'm actually not so sure.
The Kraken haven't been consistant in beating bad teams and if you look at the records of Vancouver and Arizona as of late, they're not going to be easy for us.

But hey, at least we're playing meaningfull games for the whole season.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I'm actually not so sure.
The Kraken haven't been consistant in beating bad teams and if you look at the records of Vancouver and Arizona as of late, they're not going to be easy for us.

But hey, at least we're playing meaningfull games for the whole season.
We'll probably lose another couple then go on another run the way this team is.

I can see still see us limp in by the skin of our teeth but it also wouldn't shock me if we upset someone in the play offs if we do get in. Absolutely no one knows how we'll do in that format, not even Kraken fans.

Last edited:

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Looking at the jets schedule, I wonder if they eventually fall away. Their schedule seems a mixed bag and I think I'd rather ours

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I said we needed a spark to get us over the line. I wonder if Daccord could be that unexpected hero even if the stats last night don't reflect it. We'd be pretty effed otherwise with Grubauer out and Jones sucking.

Wonder if Daccord and Burakovsky coming back is the spark needed. I'm worried about the silence on Burakovsky though, they haven't said he is close or practicing.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I said we needed a spark to get us over the line. I wonder if Daccord could be that unexpected hero even if the stats last night don't reflect it. We'd be pretty effed otherwise with Grubauer out and Jones sucking.

Wonder if Daccord and Burakovsky coming back is the spark needed. I'm worried about the silence on Burakovsky though, they haven't said he is close or practicing.
Daccord stepped up big time last night. I only watched starting the 3rd period, but I cannot blame him for any 6-on-5 goals. The D was a cluster-f***. Dallas had us skating like chickens with their heads cut off. Honestly, Hakstol should be embarrassed that this was a repeat of the 2nd last game we had played against them, where they did the same thing to us on the 6-on-5. Not only that, they did it twice in under 4 minutes yesterdat.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Daccord stepped up big time last night. I only watched starting the 3rd period, but I cannot blame him for any 6-on-5 goals. The D was a cluster-f***. Dallas had us skating like chickens with their heads cut off. Honestly, Hakstol should be embarrassed that this was a repeat of the 2nd last game we had played against them, where they did the same thing to us on the 6-on-5. Not only that, they did it twice in under 4 minutes yesterdat.
I think that you should watch the whole game. Kraken played very well the whole way, and played "their game", and had many odd-man breaks as Dallas always pushes on offense. But, we did not convert enough. Dallas is in 1st place for a reason. They have really good skills and can really really pressure in empty-net situations. We just needed a bit of puck luck. Refs sure didn't favor the Kraken, and were inconsistent, missing a Kraken slashing near the end, then missing the cross-check which let Dallas tie the game up with a second left. That said, the Kraken continue to take some unnecessary penalties. In the playoffs, that will kill you, and worse for the Kraken since we are not a good face-off team.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
That first goal Daccord let in was freaky as well. Just super bad luck. I really hope he can continue this form longer term (not just because we really need hi to continue it right now). If he does continue it, we have a decent goaltender on a low salary and it gives us options if/when we move on from Jones and if we decide Dreidger isn't the answer next season.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think that you should watch the whole game. Kraken played very well the whole way, and played "their game", and had many odd-man breaks as Dallas always pushes on offense. But, we did not convert enough. Dallas is in 1st place for a reason. They have really good skills and can really really pressure in empty-net situations. We just needed a bit of puck luck. Refs sure didn't favor the Kraken, and were inconsistent, missing a Kraken slashing near the end, then missing the cross-check which let Dallas tie the game up with a second left. That said, the Kraken continue to take some unnecessary penalties. In the playoffs, that will kill you, and worse for the Kraken since we are not a good face-off team.
I still find it nuts that most of the Krakens goals are while 6 vs 6. It's pretty impressive but probably not long term sustainable. Our power play is just an absolute waste of time though this season. Can that be easily fixed next season without player changes?

I saw someone in the media criticizing the Kraken/Hakstol for playing Beniers in the last few minutes of games while holding on to a lead saying it's not his game at that point and he shouldn't be in during it (this was right before Dallas tied it up). Wonder if there is something in that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oh absolutely. I am not questioning that the Kraken played well. Even when I started watching they were not sitting back but pushing to score more which they did making it 4-2. My concern is the vulnerability in 6-on-5 situations as a repeat of what happened last time we were in that situation against Dallas.

I blame the coaching for this more than anything else.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I still find it nuts that most of the Krakens goals are while 6 vs 6. It's pretty impressive but probably not long term sustainable. Our power play is just an absolute waste of time though this season. Can that be easily fixed next season without player changes?

I saw someone in the media criticizing the Kraken/Hakstol for playing Beniers in the last few minutes of games while holding on to a lead saying it's not his game at that point and he shouldn't be in during it (this was right before Dallas tied it up). Wonder if there is something in that.

I think that's a strange position to take.

Beniers is a 200 foot center that plays a pretty good defensive game for a rookie.
For as much as we might critcize Hakstol on defensive lapses/coaching etc., playing Beniers in those minutes early on in his career will benefit him and the Kraken in the longterm.

People criticizing that probably don't really have the big picture in mind and are just looking at this one season.

BTW: The power play's a problem for sure and since that good start to the season, it's been pretty weak and stale.
Though, it's not that surprising given the makeup of the team and the fact that a team like Vegas has had problems with that for a long time as well.

I think an actual net front guy(that isn't 5'9 Yanni Gourde, who tries hard) might be a start to it.
Also, changing things up and not just going with taht 1-3-1 and always passing it to the wing, to shoot, might be worth a look as well.

Opposing teams already know what's coming, opposing goalies as well and the only times we're actually able to do something is either McCann(Tolvanen to a lesser extend) still scoring from the wing or if we somehow change things up, actually move a bit(which has pk units being forced to move and get out of position) to create some confusion.
Also, getting Bjorkstrand open in the slot(again, only if the pp actually moves a bit) is also a good idea.

So overall, I'd try to be more creative, have players change positions a bit and try to find a way to get a shot for the bumper guy(preferably Bjorkstrand), which means changing things up and not exclusively playing a 1-3-1.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think that's a strange position to take.

Beniers is a 200 foot center that plays a pretty good defensive game for a rookie.
For as much as we might critcize Hakstol on defensive lapses/coaching etc., playing Beniers in those minutes early on in his career will benefit him and the Kraken in the longterm.

People criticizing that probably don't really have the big picture in mind and are just looking at this one season.

BTW: The power play's a problem for sure and since that good start to the season, it's been pretty weak and stale.
Though, it's not that surprising given the makeup of the team and the fact that a team like Vegas has had problems with that for a long time as well.

I think an actual net front guy(that isn't 5'9 Yanni Gourde, who tries hard) might be a start to it.
Also, changing things up and not just going with taht 1-3-1 and always passing it to the wing, to shoot, might be worth a look as well.

Opposing teams already know what's coming, opposing goalies as well and the only times we're actually able to do something is either McCann(Tolvanen to a lesser extend) still scoring from the wing or if we somehow change things up, actually move a bit(which has pk units being forced to move and get out of position) to create some confusion.
Also, getting Bjorkstrand open in the slot(again, only if the pp actually moves a bit) is also a good idea.

So overall, I'd try to be more creative, have players change positions a bit and try to find a way to get a shot for the bumper guy(preferably Bjorkstrand), which means changing things up and not exclusively playing a 1-3-1.

I think it's a lot to do with Beniers' inexperience 5 on 6 and that the playoffs are on the line. I agree with everything you say about getting him minutes in those positions, but my guess is folks who said this (and like you, I disagree with them) are speaking more to the importance of this game and the games going forward and getting experienced 5 on 6 players in there when it matters.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad