WJC: 2023 Team USA Roster Talk

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
They make most money in Canada, so they keep using an excuse that others are not interested. There was a pretty nice boom in Finland as an example in 2016. Obviously that team helped which was probably their best ever but still. Impossible to grow the tournament if it is always in the same place.

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
They make most money in Canada, so they keep using an excuse that others are not interested. There was a pretty nice boom in Finland as an example in 2016. Obviously that team helped which was probably their best ever but still. Impossible to grow the tournament if it is always in the same place.
It will be interesting to see what type of turnout is garnered in Gothenburg, sweden next year. Honestly, the U.S has a bunch of cool places they could hold the tournament and get good attendance w/ less of a home crowd advantage than Canada even if it is NA. I think it's safe to say having it held in Canada every 4 years would be the true logical scenario if $ wasn't the most important goal for them.

Reactions: 23Monahan

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
To be fair slightly extenuating circumstances over the last number of years in regards to why the tournament has been in Canada so often. I don't think many other nations were interested in hosting during Covid, though I suppose they could have gone down to Texas like the U18's did. Also what does hosting really matter if you are in a bubble and no fans are there lol. As for this year, it was supposed to be in Russia and obviously that couldn't happen. Say what you will about the tournament being in Canada to much but this tournament is a return to the way the tournament should be hosted in Canada. Hopefully after this year they do take 2-3 years away from Canada though. I would love to see them do an American hosted tournament not right on the border. Maybe in Vegas or something.

Edit: I really would love for them to give a tournament to the Swiss as well.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Many years ago, there was an American poster who immigrated to the U.S. from Russia. I got the impresion he was an older man. He went to the 2014 Olympic "Ice" Hockey GMG and commented about how calm Canada was when they won Gold.

He was a solid contributor.

Does he not post anymore?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Many years ago, there was an American poster who immigrated to the U.S. from Russia. I got the impresion he was an older man. He went to the 2014 Olympic "Ice" Hockey GMG and commented about how calm Canada was when they won Gold.

He was a solid contributor.

Does he not post anymore?
Sorry I don't recall.

Speaking of missing posters, where has @AmericanDream been?

Reactions: ORRFForever

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They will. You think they will go head to head Cooley line against the Bedard line?

I think so. I imagine the staff will think the best approach would be to make the Bedard line defend more than they have had to so far in the tournament rather than trying to survive defensively. It's also the best skating US line, which is an important attribute against Bedard's line. That said, I imagine we might see the 3rd and 4th lines get shifts against them, too, particularly the 3rd line.

I imagine the Behrens - Hughes pairing being out there for Bedard's line will be the bigger focus.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think so. I imagine the staff will think the best approach would be to make the Bedard line defend more than they have had to so far in the tournament rather than trying to survive defensively. It's also the best skating US line, which is an important attribute against Bedard's line. That said, I imagine we might see the 3rd and 4th lines get shifts against them, too, particularly the 3rd line.

I imagine the Behrens - Hughes pairing being out there for Bedard's line will be the bigger focus.
Makes sense usually best to not run from a matchup and keep your best players off the ice anyways gotta trust that your best guys can be your best guys. I am probably most curious to see how Hughes fares matched up against Bedard honesty. He is incredibly impressive offensively and with the puck on his stick but has honestly been disappointing when asked to defend. Could be a focus thing and when tasked with defending a player the caliber of Bedard he will lock in, or it is just a deficiency in his game at the moment.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Makes sense usually best to not run from a matchup and keep your best players off the ice anyways gotta trust that your best guys can be your best guys. I am probably most curious to see how Hughes fares matched up against Bedard honesty. He is incredibly impressive offensively and with the puck on his stick but has honestly been disappointing when asked to defend. Could be a focus thing and when tasked with defending a player the caliber of Bedard he will lock in, or it is just a deficiency in his game at the moment.

I'm very interested in that as well. The skill and talent with Hughes is very evident, but he's been complacent defensively a lot over this tournament and has done a lot of coasting at that end. I'd like to see if he can really lock in against Bedard and put in some work on D.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Canada is the favorite. US has to stay out of the box as Canada has been thriving with the man advantage and they need to manage the game well to subdue the crowd in Canada's recurring home ice advantage courtesy the IIHF.
There was a conscious decision made by the IIHF some years ago to hold the U20 in Canada on a regularly scheduled basis, every 3rd year I believe. That hasn't always happened, I don't know if that it still a thing, certainly Covid has played a part over the last few years.

I would like to see the U20 moved to different countries more often for many obvious reasons. Attending the U20 is such a gas that all hockey fans should at least have some hope f attending.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It should be a good game and matchup. I know what strategy I would employ to beat Canada but I'm not saying lol. It's a one shot deal so anything is possible

Reactions: ORRFForever

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
There are no "optics" to Mbereko playing. Full stop. He plays a niche sport in America at a level that doesn't even register for anyone but a small group of diehard hockey fans. Barely anyone knows who he is and only a slightly larger group cares about the WJC. There is nothing to gain from playing him because of "optics" and it's gross to suggest that's the case without any evidence.

The reality is he got an opportunity in the 2022 WJC because the starter (Drew Commesso) withdrew from the team and the backup (Dylan Silverstein) wasn't available due to a long-standing medical issue that completely derailed his career. He got an opportunity in the 2023 WJC because the likely starter (Silverstein) was still out, the 2003 American goalie class is extremely poor where Mbereko is the best of that age group with a lot of USAH / international experience, he's having his first respectable junior season with Colorado College, and the best goalie on the team is only 17 in a tournament that typically leans heavily on 19 year olds.

He's had an opportunity due to a lack of goalie depth combined with injury and withdrawal, nothing more, nothing less. If he was a white dude named John Smith with the same resume, he still would have had the same opportunity given the same circumstances.

Glad.to.hear it if that's the case.

Given the current environment, it is hardly "gross" to bring up the issue. The politicization of sports and education in America is hardly something that doesn't exist.

Reactions: SK94

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Glad.to.hear it if that's the case.

Given the current environment, it is hardly "gross" to bring up the issue. The politicization of sports and education in America is hardly something that doesn't exist.

Suggesting a player only played because of their race - without any evidence and apparently without any knowledge of the tournament, the team, its player pool, and the player himself - is gross. The only one trying to politicize sports in this situation is you.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Suggesting a player only played because of their race - without any evidence and apparently without any knowledge of the tournament, the team, its player pool, and the player itself - is gross. The only one trying to politicize sports in this situation is you.
Yeah, this is a weird discussion. He was named to the team and got the first crack because he has a history with USA Hockey, is a "vet", and has had a good season so far. He was mediocre when he got his shot and was replaced by Augustine who even as a 17 year old has been much better in net. This is a non-issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: William H Bonney

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Minnesota, specifically the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) would make a fantastic location for the WJC. They have the requisite arenas and a large fanbase that will fill the arenas up.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Minnesota, specifically the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) would make a fantastic location for the WJC. They have the requisite arenas and a large fanbase that will fill the arenas up.
Want to see a WJC here in Minnesota so bad.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The US hosts in 2025 and 2030 but the host application process is ongoing for 2025. While I'm sure USAH would love to make a splash by putting the WJC is a non-hockey market (i.e., Vegas), I can't imagine USAH wouldn't keep it close to Canada as they'd lose too many money in ticket sales otherwise.

I'd love to see it hosted in a place with smaller, more intimate rinks like when it was in Grand Forks (bigger venue but not an NHL arena) and Thief River.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The US hosts in 2025 and 2030 but the host application process is ongoing for 2025. While I'm sure USAH would love to make a splash by putting the WJC is a non-hockey market (i.e., Vegas), I can't imagine USAH wouldn't keep it close to Canada as they'd lose too many money in ticket sales otherwise.

I'd love to see it hosted in a place with smaller, more intimate rinks like when it was in Grand Forks (bigger venue but not an NHL arena) and Thief River.
St. Louis would be another good choice. You have the Enterprise Center where the Blues play and their practice rink (Centene) as well. Lindenwood is D1 now and you have a strong tradition of minor hockey.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
With Mariucci going to 200x90 next season, if IIHF is okay with that, it could definitely work.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
With Mariucci going to 200x90 next season, if IIHF is okay with that, it could definitely work.

The Target Center and Ridder Arena are also possible extra venues. I would assume the Xcel would host the semi-finals and final.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The Target Center and Ridder Arena are also possible extra venues. I would assume the Xcel would host the semi-finals and final.
We don't really (nor do we want to) use the Target Center for hockey anymore. But yes, Ridder could work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad