WJC: 2023 Team USA Roster Talk

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Saw the Canada one was started already and seeing as this year's tournament ain't happening I've been noodling on this the past few days, so here we go on to next year.

Sasha Pastujov-Logan Cooley-Chaz Lucius
Isaac Howard-Rutger McGroarty-Frank Nazar
Dylan Duke-Red Savage-Tyler Boucher
Cutter Gauthier-Jack Hughes-Jimmy Snuggerud

Jackson Blake, Jeremy Wilmer

Others: Justin Janicke, Jack Devine, Connor Kurth, Jack Harvey

Jack Peart-Luke Hughes
Sean Behrens-Ryan Chesley
Shai Buium-Seamus Casey

Aidan Hreschuk, Ty Gallagher

Others: Brent Johnson, Jake Martin, Roman Schmidt, Luke Mittelstadt

Dylan Silverstein
Braden Holt
Kaidan Mbereko

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agree with a lot of what @Jaykay has.

Some tweaks I'd make.

Pastujov-Cooley-Lucius
McGroarty-Hughes-Stramel
Howard-Gauthier-Boucher
Janicke-Savage-Snuggerud
Duke-Nazar

Hughes-Chesley
Hutson-Gallagher
Peart-Schmidt
Hreschuk-Behrens

Silverstein
Mbereko
Holt

I think the first line has worked well together before. Second and third line centers should probably just be Hughes and Gauthier. I think thats simple enough. I'd leave Rutger on the wing for now, although I see him as a center long-term. I think Stramel needs to be on this team. Hard to fit all the projected first round picks into this team. Probably can't have both Nazar and Howard in the middle six. I think Howard's a little more likely due to Boucher's presence likely already in the middle six at RW. I like the look of the fourth line. Janicke for me is tremendously underrated, and Snuggerud can assume the role of the good 18 year old defensive forward that seems to make it every year (Savage, Slaggert). Duke is hard to fit in, but I think he probably will earn a spot. I think him and Nazar are the two spares for now, but I'm not sure that actually works when building a team.

I feel like the defense is a little harder to build. I didn't like many of the pairings the 2003's used at the NTDP. I also don't like Hutson-Chesley. But what do you do then? We don't really have many big stay at home defensemen here to allow Hughes, Hutson, and Chesley to all play the way you'd like them to play. I'd probably just try to put Hughes with Chesley, and see if it works. Gallagher can probably be tried with Hutson. They should be teammates next season anyway. Schmidt should probably have some type of role. We need some size on the defense. Peart was there this year, so he likely has a spot. I guess you could have Casey on the fourth pair, but he seems like the easy guy to project to miss out among high picks. I don't see his role. All those defenseman are PP guys, except Schmidt. Casey may be better on the PP than all of them, but I find it hard to believe that we completely pass up Behrens and Ufko types. And then Hreschuk is another guy on the bubble. Could be Buium or Dunbar. Admittedly, I'm not a Buium fan.

Goalies are probably too easy to pick. Two returners and then the only other guy who looks like a real option. Who would even be a fourth option? It's likely a lot of the same problems though as this year with a lack of depth. Silverstein should do okay, but there's just no depth and even Silverstein as an 18 year old probably is a weaker starting goalie than most of the other top nations.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Holt
Silverstein
Mbereko
Di Pasquo
Homer
Hedquist

Holt and Silverstein are the biggest favourites for next year but it will be interesting to see if any name pops up in the NCAA. Di Pasquo is playing a strong season and he will play at Michigan State next year. Hedquist has been pretty good in the BCHL and he will play for North Dakota next year. Mbereko at Colorado College and Homer at Arizona State.

Hughes-Chesley
Behrens-Gallagher
Peart-Schmidt
Hutson-Casey
Mittelstadt-Ufko
Buium-Hreschuk
Sova*

I would still throw the nets in Spencer Sova's direction and invite him to Summer camp. I think next year is going to be good for him. It will be interesting to see how many 2004s play themselves into this team.

Pastujov-Cooley-Lucius
Howard-McGroarty-Nazar
Gauthier-Hughes-Boucher
Duke-Savage-Blake
Snuggerud/Brindley

Some names are always emerged who is not in the talks during this time of the year so let's have some fun and couple predictions for big seasons:
Jeremy Wilmer
Ty Nash
Max Namestnikov
Evan Konyen
James Stefan
Maddox Fleming
Jack Devine
Charlie Stramel (Interesting to see how he is doing after his long injury break)

Then i totally except that there is some grinder like:
Caden Brown
Andre Gasseau
Justin Janicke
Brady Berard.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd probably go with something like this right now, assuming there will be 2 extra roster spots due to Covid:

Forwards (x14):

Sasha Pastujov - Logan Cooley - Chaz Lucius
Isaac Howard - Charlie Stramel - Ty Voit
Frank Nazar - Jack Hughes - Jackson Blake
Red Savage - Cutter Gauthier - Tyler Boucher
Dylan Duke, Jimmy Snuggerud

Defense (x8):

Sean Behrens - Luke Hughes
Jack Peart - Ty Gallagher
Lane Hutson - Roman Schmidt
Shai Buium, Seamus Casey

Goalies (x3):

Dylan Silverstein
Braden Holt
Michael Chambre
Notes:
  • Forwards:
    • We should be able to put together a pretty talented forward group, although we're likely relying on a decent amount of 18 year olds to produce.
    • Sampling of some other guys I considered: Connor Kurth, Rutger McGroarty, Sam Lipkin, Jack Devine
    • There always seems to be an under-the-radar guy or two in the mix, often from the CHL. I haven't seen any CHL games this year but I imagine a guy like James Stefan or the like could be in play.
  • Defense:
    • This is a tricky group to pick. Hughes and Peart should be locks, and Behrens is probably close, too (he would have been on this year's team if he didn't get Covid). But we have a lot of very similar offensively-minded players in contention, and not a lot of options in the way of bigger shutdown guys. I think that fact puts a guy like Schmidt, who I'm not a big fan of but haven't seen this year, in contention. Or maybe a guy like Ryan Mast.
    • Sampling of some other guys I considered: Ryan Mast, Ryan Chesley, Aidan Hreschuk
  • Goalies:
    • A real wildcard of a group. Silverstein is the clear starter for now, although I hope someone else emerges to at least make it a two-man race unlike this year. Holt seems like the best bet for that right now. I know Mbereko made the 2022 team, but that was more of a "we had to pick someone" roster spot. I've been impressed with the NTDP U17 goalies in my limited viewings, so I'm hopeful one of them earns the developmental opportunity.
    • Sampling of some other guys I considered: Carsen Musser, Tyler Muszelik, Kaiden Mbereko

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hopefully Silverstein can play.

Of the eligible players from the 2022 team, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Pastujov home. He just can't skate well enough to be engaged at this level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My only tweak from my December suggestion is to add Augustine as the third goalie and some different lines. Wouldn’t change any of the skaters. This is my preferred group.

Gauthier-Cooley-Snuggerud
Duke-Lucius-Pastujov
McGroarty-Stramel-Nazar
Janicke-Savage-Boucher
Hughes-Howard

Behrens-Hughes
Peart-Chesley
Hutson-Gallagher
Hreschuk-Schmidt

Silverstein
Mbereko
Augustine

Reactions: Goon42

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully Silverstein can play.

Of the eligible players from the 2022 team, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Pastujov home. He just can't skate well enough to be engaged at this level.
Wasn’t Pastujov almost PPG while playing like 5 minutes a game this tournament? He seems like a no brainer.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Wasn’t Pastujov almost PPG while playing like 5 minutes a game this tournament? He seems like a no brainer.

I'm sure he'll be there, just that of the eligible returnees I think he's most at risk. USAH puts a premium on skating and Pastujov can barely skate. If he does make it, it'll be interesting to see if he's more than a spare forward who gets PP time.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'm sure he'll be there, just that of the eligible returnees I think he's most at risk. USAH puts a premium on skating and Pastujov can barely skate. If he does make it, it'll be interesting to see if he's more than a spare forward who gets PP time.
Maybe a useful secondary scoring threat with O-zone starts and PP minutes only. Might pay off if the coaching staff can spot him to the team's advantage.

Is Hutson a lock? Really excited to see him play at this level.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Maybe a useful secondary scoring threat with O-zone starts and PP minutes only. Might pay off if the coaching staff can spot him to the team's advantage.

Is Hutson a lock? Really excited to see him play at this level.

I wouldn't put Hutson as a lock, especially as Hughes, Behrens, and Peart can all return. He's a strong contender though.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Really interested to see how Connor Kurth, Jackson Blake, and Jeremy Wilmer acquit themselves to college hockey as I imagine there are going to be more '03 forwards on this team than most are projecting and those three are among the most interesting to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really interested to see how Connor Kurth, Jackson Blake, and Jeremy Wilmer acquit themselves to college hockey as I imagine there are going to be more '03 forwards on this team than most are projecting and those three are among the most interesting to me.
I'd give Blake the best chance. You could argue he was the best player on the best team in the USHL last season. I think he also has some versatility to play in multiple roles. Depending on what happens between now and December, he could earn a spot on the team. Wouldn't shock me.

Wilmer, can't deny he was the leading scorer in the USHL last season, but he's 5'6, not a great skater, and was among the older good players in the league. Wouldn't call him the driver of TC last season either. A defensemen who can not be named was. Nowhere to play, unless he's top 6/9. I don't know that he's a better option than someone like Howard. I'd be disappointed if he makes the team, unless he dominates NCAA hockey the next few months.

Kurth, I think he has some chance. He's good offensively and could probably also play 4th line because he has some grit, but he can't skate. He shouldn't make it, although I suspect he'll be considered. Also, I think it's going to be very hard for him to step in immediately at Minnesota and be a very good player for them, which is what I think it'll require for him to make it.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'd give Blake the best chance. You could argue he was the best player on the best team in the USHL last season. I think he also has some versatility to play in multiple roles. Depending on what happens between now and December, he could earn a spot on the team. Wouldn't shock me.

Wilmer, can't deny he was the leading scorer in the USHL last season, but he's 5'6, not a great skater, and was among the older good players in the league. Wouldn't call him the driver of TC last season either. A defensemen who can not be named was. Nowhere to play, unless he's top 6/9. I don't know that he's a better option than someone like Howard. I'd be disappointed if he makes the team, unless he dominates NCAA hockey the next few months.

Kurth, I think he has some chance. He's good offensively and could probably also play 4th line because he has some grit, but he can't skate. He shouldn't make it, although I suspect he'll be considered. Also, I think it's going to be very hard for him to step in immediately at Minnesota and be a very good player for them, which is what I think it'll require for him to make it.

Blake looking pretty good so far.

Anyone have any guesses as to what they do at goalie on this team??

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Blake looking pretty good so far.

Anyone have any guesses as to what they do at goalie on this team??
Your post prompted me to search what's up with Silverstein, and that doesn't look good. He's unlikely for this year.

I think Mbereko will be a main goalie option. I know he sucked when it mattered, but it'll be against more age-appropriate competition for him, so that should help, and he wasn't that awful. I'd trust him a lot more as a second or preferably third goalie than first. I don't think he'll give up like 6 in a game, but he wasn't drafted for a reason.

Aside from him, the Oke guy that was on the team last year will probably be back on the team. He's not off to a good start, but there aren't many options, so he'll probably make it, even if it's only as the 3rd goalie again. Jacob Fowler in the USHL isn't off to a good start. He's a late birthday, so he's a little older than a typical draft eligible. He could make it, but it'd help if he could play well. Tyler Muszelik has played two games for New Hampshire in the NCAA. Stats aren't good to start the season, but it's only two games. He'll be an option.

I think the player we should be rooting for to make a big run at the starting position is Trey Augustine. He's off to a very good start this season for the NTDP. He's a draft eligible this year and only 17, so it'll be a challenge, but Silverstein made it and was slated to be the back up for the WJC last December. Our goaltending options are worse this time around and Augustine is better than Silverstein. Augustine was the starter for the 18's last year at the WJC-18 over Muszelik with Silverstein out, so I think they probably already have him higher on the depth chart than Muszelik. Augustine is probably the best player on the current NTDP-18 team, so I'd probably be disappointed if they don't give him a serious chance to not only make the team but challenge Mbereko for the starting position.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
My only tweak from my December suggestion is to add Augustine as the third goalie and some different lines. Wouldn’t change any of the skaters. This is my preferred group.

Gauthier-Cooley-Snuggerud
Duke-Lucius-Pastujov
McGroarty-Stramel-Nazar
Janicke-Savage-Boucher
Hughes-Howard

Behrens-Hughes
Peart-Chesley
Hutson-Gallagher
Hreschuk-Schmidt

Silverstein
Mbereko
Augustine
Don’t think Nazar will play due to surgery.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4