WJC: 2023 Team USA Roster Talk

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A very uneven performance but they're simply too talented for the Germans. They'll likely get to double digits while half assing it for large portions of the game.

The biggest positive is the top line should be peak confidence going into the semis. Cooley should be at 4 points (they didn't give him an assist on Gauthier's first goal but he passed it to Mittelstadt). Gauthier has his first two goals, and Snugs has another 2 points.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Any chance NHL network will cut right to Canada game at 6:30?

A very uneven performance but they're simply too talented for the Germans. They'll likely get to double digits while half assing it for large portions of the game.

The biggest positive is the top line should be peak confidence going into the semis.
They were peak confidence the day before game one

US hockey never lacks confidence anymore. Always seem to think they can carry the play. It’s probably good and bad.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nice to see Oke get in the game. Good coaching move.

Nice sportsmanship there by Duke. Connors buried it but that would have been an easy goal of Duke didn't have tunnel vision as he didn't pass that, just lost control of it.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Obviously their primary job is to give us good info (at which they’ve failed). But I assume the also want to drive up interest in the tourney. I don’t know why they aren’t hammering “usa could have the same goalie for 3 tourneys….that’s very unusual and could make Trey a legend”. it writes itself.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
An uneven performance. I loved their start but once the Stramel goal was called back, it looked like they just lost all steam and effort. They got it back for portions of the game but I would have liked to see a more consistent effort in the opening 20. The sloppiness in the 3rd is more understandable; you're up double digits, you don't want to run up the score, and you just want to get the game over with. These are tricky games to play but the uneven effort was my biggest gripe.

On the positive side, Augustine got some rest. Cooley was flying. Gauthier finally scored. Some depth guys (i.e., Savage, Blake, Duke, Connors) got their first goals, too. Ufko put up 5 assists. It was Germany and they've been getting stomped all tournament, but there should be a lot of guys feeling (their most) confident going into the semis.

They'll be underdogs against Canada if it shakes out that way and I'm not confident they'll be able to shut down the Bedard line. But it by no means looks like an unbeatable Canadian team, so they can certainly win if they play well, although they'll need their best game yet to do so.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So Canada it is after Slovakia almost pulled off an upset in a game they were hanging onto for dear life.

If (and that's a monumental if) they can stop or slow down Bedard, it'll be interesting. The Canadian defense looks shaky and they're relying heavily on their top line. Similar to our team makeup so far.

Canada is the favorite. US has to stay out of the box as Canada has been thriving with the man advantage and they need to manage the game well to subdue the crowd in Canada's recurring home ice advantage courtesy the IIHF.

They're capable of winning but they'll need to play their best game of the tournament. At least we get to see the matchup; would be a bummer to have a WJC without it.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Since 2010 when Team USA ended Canada's winning streak both of them have four gold medals. Finland has three and Sweden only one. I don't like the idea that Canada would take third gold medal in four years. Would be a failure for USA Hockey if they allow that to happen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Since 2010 when Team USA ended Canada's winning streak both of them have four gold medals. Finland has three and Sweden only one. I don't like the idea that Canada would take third gold medal in four years. Would be a failure for USA Hockey if they allow that to happen.
It makes it a bit tougher when seemingly every tournament game is a home game for Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00