WJC: 2023 Sweden Roster Talk

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
- Hugo Jonasson, interesting. By far the most physical player on this team. Guessing he could end up being cut though
- Hävelid announcing starting, back-up goalies already

Dislike
- Milton Oscarson, slowest skater in the tournament?

Surprised
- Simon Edvinsson declining (probably via "recommendation" from the Red Wings)
- No Albert Sjöberg
- No Oskar Asplund

Prediction:
Bronze medal game loss
What would explain Sjoberg's exclusion as a returnee? While he was a bit of a surprise this time last year, he's continued scoring with 7 goals in 21 Allsvenskan games so far this year.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The defense is.. not great.
Looking at it more closely its probably the worst d corps Sweden has had at the WJC since 13/14.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Red Wings REALLY hate sending their prospects to the World Juniors - really starting to dislike them for it.

Moritz Seider
Marco Kasper
Simon Edvinsson

All were healthy and fully capable of attending but aren’t.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The Edvinsson declination one could see a mile away. A defenseman will be removed, which I assume will be Jonasson.

Will be interesting to see who will play center in the top 9, there's only 3 in Östlund, Bystedt, & Carlsson, if they would play center then the top 9 will be rock solid. However, I have doubts Hävelid will play Leo at center, which leaves... Wagner to grab the 3C spot? But that completely throws off the lines imo. Interesting, to say the least.

What would explain Sjoberg's exclusion as a returnee? While he was a bit of a surprise this time last year, he's continued scoring with 7 goals in 21 Allsvenskan games so far this year.
New coach, other players simply outplayed him for his spot at friendlies.

Red Wings REALLY hate sending their prospects to the World Juniors - really starting to dislike them for it.

Moritz Seider
Marco Kasper
Simon Edvinsson

Not just Juniors. Raymond was stopped from last Worlds. And all of them have the same bullshit excuses: "We play games. Playing tournament is playing games. Games are many games. Many games tiring."

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Is the defense so weak that the absence of Montén doesn’t even matter?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Defence is not weak defensivly and its gritty, which is the most important thing. With no Hävelid, Lindstein and Edvinsson we are missing offence from the backend sure, but they can make a tap to tap pass to the forwards. We have enough skill among forwards to make up for the lack of offence on the backend.

Only 2 players i dont like on the team is Wagner and Jansson.
I find that you always need atleast one D to handle that role effectively. Otherwise all the forwards in the world won help you. Look at Russias performances in best on best tournaments.

Hopefully Sandin-Pelikka can be that guy. And hopefully the other defensemen aren’t just terrible with the puck on their sticks. That is something that can kill any team.

Agree though, the forwards are also way better than anything Sweden has had since atleast 2017-18. But probably longer.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The Edvinsson declination one could see a mile away. A defenseman will be removed, which I assume will be Jonasson.

Will be interesting to see who will play center in the top 9, there's only 3 in Östlund, Bystedt, & Carlsson, if they would play center then the top 9 will be rock solid. However, I have doubts Hävelid will play Leo at center, which leaves... Wagner to grab the 3C spot? But that completely throws off the lines imo. Interesting, to say the least.

New coach, other players simply outplayed him for his spot at friendlies.

Not just Juniors. Raymond was stopped from last Worlds. And all of them have the same bullshit excuses: "We play games. Playing tournament is playing games. Games are many games. Many games tiring."
Stjernborg can play center.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He can, but he'll play on the 4th line obviously.
I dont see any reason to why my lineup would not work.

Carlsson - Rosén - Lysell
Öhgren - Östlund - Lekkerimäki
Strömgren - Bystedt - Stjernborg
Robertsson - Oscarson - Pettersson
Wagner

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I dont see any reason to why my lineup would not work.

Carlsson - Rosén - Lysell
Strömgren - Bystedt - Stjernborg
Robertsson - Oscarson - Pettersson
Wagner
Rosén isn't a center, and Stjernborg+Strömgren(specifically Stjernborg) over Robertsson+Pettersson in the top 9? There's a dialogue to be had around Strömgren, but none around Stjernborg. Oscarson over Wagner?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Moritz Seider
Marco Kasper
Simon Edvinsson

I just read that Marco Kasper is being withheld from the tournament by the Austrian federation, with an eye on him concentrating on the Senior World's in the Spring. Not Detroit's call on this particular case.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I just read that Marco Kasper is being withheld from the tournament by the Austrian federation, with an eye on him concentrating on the Senior World's in the Spring. Not Detroit's call on this particular case.
Wrong thread to discuss this obviously but what a strange decision given the U20‘s will be fighting to avoid relegation.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
If that was the case, then Austria's coach wouldn't say this:
Wir hätten Marco natürlich gerne bei der WM dabeigehabt, haben aber vollstes Verständnis für seine Situation. Kein Spieler hat in den vergangenen zwölf Monaten ein vergleichbares Pensum an Spielen absolviert wie er. Wir haben stets das große Bild vor Augen, weshalb wir ihm für die U20 WM eine Pause geben

aka. they understand Marco's decision to decline due to Yzerman talking points and so will give him rest during the WJCs.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Defence is not weak defensivly and its gritty, which is the most important thing. With no Hävelid, Lindstein and Edvinsson we are missing offence from the backend sure, but they can make a tap to tap pass to the forwards. We have enough skill among forwards to make up for the lack of offence on the backend.

Only 2 players i dont like on the team is Wagner and Jansson.

Lindstein would not improve this D-group defensively and especially not offensively.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Rosén isn't a center, and Stjernborg+Strömgren(specifically Stjernborg) over Robertsson+Pettersson in the top 9? There's a dialogue to be had around Strömgren, but none around Stjernborg. Oscarson over Wagner?
Rosen can play center. Stjernborg is the captain of the team.

I like the size and grit of Oscarson. Wagner is nothing special.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don’t have any big complaints about this roster. It’s the best one possible, or at least very close to it. Especially happy to see Strömgren there, he’s a very good option to use on an offensive line if they don’t click.

Also good to see Sandin Pellikka on there. He fully deserves to make the team, we don’t have a true 1 PP guy, he could be an option.

Next years team in Gothenburg should be a strong one. 11 returning players + Hävelid and Salomonsson.

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
Carlsson - Stjernborg - Lysell
Rosen - Bystedt - Robertsson
Strömgren - Oscarson - Pettersson
Wagner

My forward lineup update. The reason why i want Carlsson at top line is that he are one of the top prospects at the stacked 2023 draft. I have seen him top 3 on multiple lists. Yes thats the only reason

Ebbert

Dec 15, 2018
Carlsson - Stjernborg - Lysell
Rosen - Bystedt - Robertsson
Strömgren - Oscarson - Pettersson
Wagner

My forward lineup update. The reason why i want Carlsson at top line is that he are one of the top prospects at the stacked 2023 draft. I have seen him top 3 on multiple lists. Yes thats the only reason
Carlsson, Bystedt and Pettersson had great chemistry in recent internationals games, why separated them ?

Rosen - Stjernborg - Lysell
Carlsson - Bystedt - Pettersson
Ohgren - Ostlund - Lekkerimaki
Stromgren - Oscarson - Robertsson
Wagner

And depending what lines (the first 3) is doing better you can give more time to them.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
If that was the case, then Austria's coach wouldn't say this:

aka. they understand Marco's decision to decline due to Yzerman talking points and so will give him rest during the WJCs.
The coach basically says that they want to give him a rest because he already played so much with the senior team. It has nothing to do with the Red Wings but with the austrian federation seeing him in the senior team and not in the U20 anymore. There is also no word about understanding his decision. It was the decision of the federation.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Carlsson, Bystedt and Pettersson had great chemistry in recent internationals games, why separated them ?

Rosen - Stjernborg - Lysell
Carlsson - Bystedt - Pettersson
Ohgren - Ostlund - Lekkerimaki
Stromgren - Oscarson - Robertsson
Wagner

And depending what lines (the first 3) is doing better you can give more time to them.

If I had to guess, this is exactly the lineup we will see. Maybe Wagner instead of Strömgren.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Any news out of Europe regarding Lekkerimakki?

Took a hit to the head late in November and looked concussed. I dont think he has played a game since then.

Him being named to the WJC team is probably a good sign that Team Sweden knowns he will be ready in a couple of weeks.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Must be pretty frustrating for Sweden seeing Edvinsson cook in the AHL while Wright, Guenther, and Clarke join Canada.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Any news out of Europe regarding Lekkerimakki?

Took a hit to the head late in November and looked concussed. I dont think he has played a game since then.

Him being named to the WJC team is probably a good sign that Team Sweden knowns he will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Barring any setbacks his first game back is expected to be on tuesday

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes